Understand? good now play!(Understand the Art!)

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by DrUnKNiNjA, Dec 6, 2003.

1. DrUnKNiNjA

DrUnKNiNjA New Member

:D Hello all.......... some of you i have met and alot of you i havent, i have been reading alot of things, that are not true in these forums and alot of things that are true!! and i am deeply saddened Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu is an amazing art with alot of history that has been packaged in a media crazy wrapping paper!! If i was a newbie to this art i wouldnt be able to see what is true and what isnt......... Kinjiro i know is a true practitioner and i know that i am, i havent met the others but hopefully this thread can lure them out and also help those who dont know the art have a better understanding for it!!!

well i hope this works and puts an end to the wannabie trend!!!

2. DrUnKNiNjA

DrUnKNiNjA New Member

hi well heres to you who wondered what does ukemi consist of well................

Taihenjutsu

(Art of Changing the Body )

Mae Ukemi

(Forward break fall)

Koho Ukemi

(Backward break fall)

Sokuho Ukemi

(Sidewards break fall (upper arm is at shoulder level))

Mae Kaiten

(Forward roll from all postures)

Koho Kaiten

(Backward roll from all postures)

Sokuho Kaiten

(Sidewards roll from all postures)

if you have any questions or need help on how todo these techniques give me a buzz and i'll try to help you!!!

3. DrUnKNiNjA

DrUnKNiNjA New Member

or if you have question on a different technique or about ninjutsu feel free!

4. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

is there any way to train without a dojo or shidoshi that can be of any use while not learning fake crap?
    if there isnt (or even if there is) do you know of any dojos or shidoshi around kingsport\bristol\johnson city tennessee USA?

5. DrUnKNiNjA

DrUnKNiNjA New Member

Can i train without a Shidoshi or dojo, and or can u find a dojo for me!

Yes you can train without a dojo or Shidoshi but it is not recommended, the only dojos that are registered are,
    Pennsylvania
    The Chattanooga Bujinkan Dojo
    their Email
    taifuugan9@hotmail.com

Dojo Phone #'s
    Please feel free to contact Chris at his work # at (423) 553-6577, Or Amy, the group secretary at (423) 618-7494. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have about our training, schedule, or location of training. See you soon!

and the,

George Town
    George Town Bujinkan Dojo
    Contact Information

(423)618-7494 (leave message)

info@georgetownbujinkan.com

But no other that i can find in those area's. If you choose to train solo i would choose todo the black belt program with Richard Van Donk who is a registered teacher under Hatsumi Soke who does a video set its a little costly but you can still achieve official ranks with him!! you can find his videos at www.ninjutsu.com!

I hope this helps you, and good luck!! if you need help with any technique in the video set just ask me or i believe you can find it in the written manual they give you!!!

6. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

thanx man this should help lots

7. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

also about donks videos do you know if the guide book teaches techniques too because it will prob'ly be awhile before i can afford the videos-ill probably be at the chattanooga dojo in a month or 2.

8. DrUnKNiNjA

DrUnKNiNjA New Member

train with just the manual........

i would not suggest to train with just the manual unless you know exactly what the techniques are!!!! the manual works with the videos and the vice versa...:rolleyes: and good luck with the chattanooga dojo i hope it works out!!!

9. DrUnKNiNjA

DrUnKNiNjA New Member

here are some of the hand techniques

Kiten ken

(Wisdom blade)

Use the sides of the hands, with the hand open approx 60 Degrees. Snap the hand open on impact. (The strike is used a lot.)

Nio ken

(Spiritual blade)

Use the clenched fist for punching, and striking

Note: The fists involve more than just striking with the hand. By moving the legs, the speed of the fist is doubled.

****o Ken

(Thumb drive fist)

Use an extended thumb that is supported by a fist to jab, and strike muscle areas, and nerve endings.

Chin Ken

(Claw strike)

Use the finger tips to strike and rake.

Note: In this five finger fist, the five fists of the fingertips hit the target.

any questions?

10. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

is there any difference between boshi ken and sh_to ken or are they just different names for same attack? also is Nio ken the same as fudo ken?-one last thing-in dodging to the side do you slide the foot and throw your weight on it or is there more to it than that?

11. DrUnKNiNjA

DrUnKNiNjA New Member

yes they are the same technique just a different name these are the names from the Gyyoko School... as for dodging please explain the attack your dodging from so i can visualixe it and give you a better answer!! :)

12. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

I think it's appropriate that my 500th post should be in this thread. I agree with you DrUnKNiNjA; it's an amazing art unfortunately wrapped in very silly wrapping paper. I hope this thread can stay free of trolls and sillies. I am fortunate to study at a good school full of serious students and no cartoonish dopeyness. We're doing a lot of weapons work this month, bo and practice katana. I'm not yet at the stage where the weapon is like an extension of my body; I'm only 9th kyu, so that's understandable.

My favorite ukemi, even though I'm not great at it: koho nagare. I find with all ukemi, I do them better when I actually have to (when being thrown or taken down) as opposed to when I'm trying to do them "on purpose". I seem to have more momentum going into a breakfall in the actual situation; that momentum helps a lot. On the other hand, I have trouble executing koho kaiten from a sitting (on the floor) position.

Because of my bad knees, I have particular trouble with yoko nagare; the problem is lowering myself to the ground with most of my weight on one bent knee. I have a similar situation with oten and my arm injury. Has anyone else dealt successfully with this problem?

One of the many things I like about Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu is how it maintains traditions but evolves at the same time. We can incorporate effective techniques from other arts. For example, in my dojo, we do some groundfighting, also occasional Sayoc Kali techniques. It never gets boring, because it has so many different aspects, so many different things to learn.

I was away from class for a few weeks; two weeks of illness followed by a week out of town. When I returned, I noticed that two heavy bags had been hung in the dojo -- looking forward to seeing what we'll do with those!

Like DrUnKNiNjA, I also look forward to hearing from and meeting other serious students.

13. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Happy 500th!!

14. SilentNightfall

SilentNightfall Eien no Ninja

Glad to see a lot more serious practitioners coming to this board. Welcome to everyone who I haven't yet had the pleasure of conversing with. I look forward to doing so in the future. Feel free to direct any questions my way and if I can answer them or give my opinion on the matter, I will. For now, I'm off again. Jaa, mata!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2003
  15. DrUnKNiNjA

DrUnKNiNjA New Member

I am gald to see that i have found new friends welcome silent nightfall!!, i have been looking forward to meeting you hello again Kinjiro, i hope to we dont get any trolls and please feel free to fill in anything i have missed in answering a question its always good to get someone elses opinion on a technique or matter, as two heads are better than none :), Kinjiro..... what kind of accidents have you had and what exactly hurts? you can strengthen some injuries while others you cannot! if they are not major injuries i have some traditional exercises that can help you with your taijutsu!:)

16. Sadair

Sadair Guest

Kinjiro Tsukasa -
    I somewhat have a bad right knee so when I am falling on my left side I just don't bend it that much and fall more. Its a longer fall but it doesn't hurt that bad especially compared to a bad knee. You can do them without putting any pressure on your knees (stand on one foot and fall on your side with the foot up) but that just means it will be a harder impact on your lats of whatever you hit. Try bending your waist when your legs are hitting the floor. As with most things in Taijutsu what works for one person might not work for another, but I hope this helps.

17. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

First off, a welcome to DrunkNinja, and second a warm "Hello" to my old friends Josh and Kinjiro. Missed being here and discussing things with y'all. DN, you seem to have a wealth of knowledge, glad to see you here. Mind if I ask your background? Mainly interested in where you are located as I hope to be doing some traveling in the not so distant future and am always looking for people to train.

It's going to take me a fw days of reading theposts to catch up on everything and see if I can make a worthy contribution to what is being discussed. That and I am currently working on an article on Ukemi, takes up too much time but I consider it the research and ordering of thoughts to write it as important as the physical training of my Taijutsu.

18. SilentNightfall

SilentNightfall Eien no Ninja

Welcome back, old friend. It has been a while. Glad to see you back and well. Your insightful posts have been missed as there aren't many of us serious practitioners here, as we've noted, not to mention the number of members with the amount of expansive knowledge that comes with experience. So welcome back and have fun catching up. I should do a bit of that myself. I haven't frequented MAP as often as I would have liked to in the past few weeks. Trying to reconcile that one though. For now, take care and be well, my friend.

19. DrUnKNiNjA

DrUnKNiNjA New Member

The BackGround!

Welcome Kurohana to my thread, to answer your question, i have been training in Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu for over 20 years in and out with Hatsumi Soke and have been enjoying every minute of it, i am 32 now and happily married and teaching Ninjutsu in BC, Canada. I fallen on this site accidentally and have been thrilled to see that there are more Bujinkanians in the world, i have also been trying to help people outside of my class and also call up knowledge with fellow Bujinkanians and share my own!!:) I hope that answers your question on my background and i would be very happy to meet you and train with you if you ever come to BC. I am currently in the chat room and if youd like to talk just pop in.

20. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

"only teach 50% of what you know"

"always be able to kill your students"

(Hatsumi Soke)

I brought this up with you in chat but if some one else may wonder why not ask again ;)

- If you only teach 50% to your student won't it kill the art down after a while? If you do teach it after a while wouldn't that slow the progress of your student? (This is a friendly question from a Karate-ka who knows only small things on Nin ;) )