Schools for Ninjutsu and Kung fu (all styles) in Manila, Philippines?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Vince, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Vince

Vince New Member

Hi,

I am in need of information mainly about Ninjutsu and Kung fu in Manila (Philippines). Im really interested. If it is possible I wished to learn traditional Martial Arts not the ones that were already influenced with modern skills. But if there are none like this pls. recommend me to a good school that can really stretch me to the limits.

Thanks and have a great time.

:woo: Vince

2. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

3. chungmoomonkey

chungmoomonkey Just a few more months...

dude u should do a Philippine style

that makes sence right

4. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Most or all of the following are teaching Chuka Phoenix-Eye Fist kung fu, also known as Chuka Shaolin somewhere in Malaysia.

Cheong Cheng Leong
    Tan Hun Poey

Cheong Boo Kheng
    Ong Tatt Lin
    Woo Kim Hin
    Yeoh Thean Chun

5. Vince

Vince New Member

thanks
    but are there in the philippines manila?

6. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Doh!, I misread your question :(

7. Vince

Vince New Member

ok thanks

8. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

It does...but it's hard to find good quality schools that teach FMA in the Philippines, since there are Guros that CLAIM they know what they're doing, yet when they do a little practice spar with their students, their sticks end up slipping off their hands (my cousin's experience).

9. Vince

Vince New Member

surgingshark thanks just asking.... so how would i know if the guru is really what he says he is?

10. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Might be worth making a new thread in the FMA section for an answer to that.

11. moondog

moondog ch'en fake wannabe

don't know about ninjutsu... but there are qualified teachers on hung gar and long fist in china town (hong pen), manila

12. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

13. krys

krys Valued Member

There are still some good guros but many don't advertise or don't really want to teach....

I've seen this in France when I was on my second year of Arnis and visited another school... the instructor was on the point of hitting me with two sticks on the same side (I had a single baston).... I attacked and hit both sticks at the same time: he let them drop to the floor.....

14. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

I sincerely do not know any school that advertise themselves as teaching ninjutsu. Most of the kung fu schools are in the vicinity of Quiapo, Recto Binondo, Ongpin (at least I hope that's how it's spelled) and Sta. Cruz. You'll also find other schools of other styles over there.

As for finding a good FMA teacher...its still touch and go.

15. krys

krys Valued Member

There are some very good kung fu masters in Manila.... pb is that you need to be introduced to train under them.....

16. Gryphon Hall

Gryphon Hall Feeling Scholler

I have seen some kung fu training somewhere in Dasmarinas...
    ... Cavite, but I don't know how legit that is.

Best bet is to get in touch with some Wushu federation of some Chinese school (Grace Christian School, Makati Hope Christian School, Chiang Kai Sek, etc.) and ask them if the teach some Kung Fu with their Wushu, or at least point you in the right direction.

17. krys

krys Valued Member

:woo: No No No you don't want to look for Wushu..... :)
    Go to Alex's Co martial arts shop (wiramall greenhills), they will tell you where to find a proper kung fu school :)

18. patfromlogan

patfromlogan Valued Member

All the ninjas in Manila got creamed by the Kyokushin guys and are in hiding. :D But since they can become invisible maybe they are right there all along :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, Filipinos in general prefer foreign martial arts to their own very practical and lethal styles and so there are fewer teachers of Arnis, Escrima, Kali or whatever in the Philippines than there are in Europe and the US.

While there are some good CMA (Chinese martial arts), why go for the dubious ninja stuff at all? Why not study FMA? Everyone around the world seems to think that they are great, except Filipinos, who must have some cultural hangups.

19. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Right on! :D

20. Gryphon Hall

Gryphon Hall Feeling Scholler

Sorry. I'm off-topic, but had to give two cents

Sorry, but my post is a bit off-topic; but this is sadly true.

I suspect that there are at least two small yet influential reasons why the Filipinos themselves aren't so hot about the FMA as foreigners are:

1. Except for one or two exceptions, there are NO Filipino Martial Arts movies that look cool enough for Pinoys to want to learn FMA. There was Kamagong with Lito Lapid, but it shows the grandmaster beating up the main antagonist with his sticks until that same antagonist suddenly threw his own sticks away and then started beating up the grandmaster. I mean, the grandmaster had the Kamagong and he let the other guy beat him up? If there are any other Pinoy movies that feature martial arts, it isn't the main thing, but something peripheral to a sometimes melodramatic or comedic story.

2. Though I know there actually is some discipline and a sort of curriculum to the old Arnis/Escrima schools, being practical and ubiquitous, they did not have the air of mystique and esotericism that styles like Karate and Kung-fu seemed to offer. There are styles that offer lots of oraciones and all that, but not with the sometimes pomp and ritual stuff and all. So, by contrast, FMA seemed ordinary. Boring. I am not saying that rituals are wrong in themselves, merely showing that when given a choice between "boring" and esoteric, or at least, "mainstream", they would choose that.

This is an instance: our boxing stables here are very good and have trained world champions. Yet most would rather take up a foreign martial art or basketball, for that is where the immediate fame is; so most of our boxers tend to be shorter and smaller in build, and we never can bost of anything more than bantam or welterweight. And when we do have champions, all of a sudden these champions usually hire Cuban or American trainers and then ditch or relegate to a supporting role the Filipino trainers who actually got them there. Why? Because they see it as a "step forward"; then they wonder why they suddenly lose their belts.

Sorry again if a bit off topic. I mean, really off-topic, but it really hits close to home.