Daito-Ryu aiki jujutsu?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Marku, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Marku

Marku Banned Banned

Anyone ever heard of this style before? Has anyone ever seen it used or know anything interesting about it?

2. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Traces it origins to around 1000 AD apparently.
    Lineage taken on by the Takeda Clan.

The majority of Aikido techniques were drawn from Aiki JuJutsu by Ueshiba.

Allegedly Choi Yong Sul, founder of Hapkido, was a servant to the Takeda Family and learnt his stuff from them. Alot of Aiki JuJutsu people decry this story. Ho-hum.

A Relatively 'Complete' system using technical emphasis at all ranges from Stand Up, Sit down, Ground etc.

Aiki: ''Aiki' or 'Hapki', the same idea that permeates Chinese systems like Tai 'Chi' Chuan, Bagua etc. Something beyond the purely physical concepts of Leverage and Brute Strength" (By Me)

3. Marku

Marku Banned Banned

Do ya think theres any teachers of this style in the UK. It'd be interesting to see and compare to Hapkido :)

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Yes, Nihon Tai Jitsu is decended from Daito-ryu and contains many of the original aspects. Goshido Tai Jitsu is related to Nihon Tai Jitsu so therefore I practice something which is quite similar.

Colin

5. Marku

Marku Banned Banned

Groovy, has it got a website?

6. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Smile, laugh, be happy!

Try contacting Soke Siegfried Boedeker, 10th Dan Ju-Jitsu Hanshi. He lives in Germany and teaches Daito-Ryu Aiki-jujitsu. I am sure he would come and teach a seminar if you wanted. You can reach him at: Löhner Strasse 133, 32584 Löhne, Germany.

7. stickfan1

stickfan1 New Member

looking for a Daito Ryu Aiki-jujitsu club in London

Hi guys

Interested in learning Daito Ryu Aiki-jujitsu. Does anyone know of a school on London that trains on anydays bar monday and wednesdays?

Thanks

8. middleway

middleway Valued Member

i have Nidan in this style.

The only school in the UK as far as i know is Nine Circles in Gloucestershire, headed by Quentin Ball, he is a really good Ju Jutsu Adept.

hope this helps

cheers
    Chris

9. Martial One

Martial One Martial Way student

10. Uke333

Uke333 New Member

If you do Aikido, youre probably gonna end up receiving trditionnal
    daito ryu training too. I know that in Quebec, they( the quebec association of Aikibudo) ask for the traditionnal form of daito ryu technique to pass your black belt. Althought its not gonna be as complete.

11. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

There is also a study group in Manchester run by a bloke who is a kyu grade (or whatever equivalent they call it) in Daito Ryu.

Mike

12. stickfan1

stickfan1 New Member

Hi guys trhanks for the info. If anyone hears of one in London please let me know...much appreciated

13. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

What you've stated is not correct.

Daito Ryu and Aikido are two seperate arts with the techniques and the focus in each being quite different. If you sign up for Aikido training don't expect to get anything like Daito Ryu Aiki Ju-Justsu... it's not going to happen.

If by 'traditionnal form of daito ryu technique' you meant 'traditional Japanese etiquette' then there might be some similarities with the formalities of Aikido testing. But in that case you could get the same etiquette from studying Chaji - the Japanese Tea Ceremony.