Uk Pentjak Silat Serak® Seminar

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Mas Baz, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Mas Baz

Mas Baz New Member

please read the forum rules before posting: No advertising - if you wish to advertise please email info@martialartsplanet.com

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2003
  2. kimball

kimball New Member

the spelling is PENCAK not pentjak!!!!!

3. grimel

grimel New Member

The spelling is pentjak.

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Who cares!

Pencak - Pentjak
    Kung-gu - Gung-fu
    Eskrima - Escrima
    Blah blah - blah de blah blah

The name is not the thing :D

5. grimel

grimel New Member

In this specific case, I do. The inital post was refering to a specific style of silat, pentjak is the way that style spells it.

6. Bobster

Bobster Valued Member

Kimball, you seem to be arguing over a VERY inconsequential thing. I realize "Pentjak" is the old way, and "Pencak" is embraced by the IPPSI. But not everybody does things the "official" way, and I would say NEITHER side is wrong. You like the "C" pronunciation? Fine. But, I do believe we are all speaking of the same art. Instead of attacking something you are not accostomed to, why not investigate why somebody presents a different point of view than yours?

It will go alot further in your favor if you do.

Bobbe Edmonds

7. Bobster

Bobster Valued Member

Furthermore:

Yoda:

It's pronounced "Wouf", not "Woof"! Jeez, how many times do I have to tell you...!

Bobbe

8. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

I want to comment about pentjak... it's not pentjak, it's pencak silat. I know because I'm a Malay.

9. YODA

That style calls it Pentjak - so the name of that style is Pentjak. What is so hard about that?

Bobbe: Wuff wuff :D

Last edited: Feb 3, 2004
  10. Wali

Wali Valued Member

I call it Phentjack Ceelatt. I know because I'm padantic.

11. YODA

Nooooooo..... It's Peyntchack Seelat!

12. Bobster

Bobster Valued Member

But, Intan86, there are TONS of Indonesians who spell it "Pentjak". Are they all wrong? My own teacher in Bandung spells it this way. I defer to my original post: I have several teachers of this Malay-Indo art, They are Pure Indo, Pure Dutch, and various hybrids of Indo-Chinese & Dutch-Indo. Almost all of them spell it differently. Arguing over semantics seems so trivial compared to the wealth of knowledge available in the art itself. Guys, don't miss the forest for the trees. What you should actually say is "My teacher prounounces/spells it this way, so I have adopted that." Avoid all-encompassing terms such as "This is the ONLY way it is." Dan Inosanto Spells it "Pentjak", would you walk up to him and say "You are spelling it wrong"? Pak O'ong Maryano spells it "Pencak", would you say to him, "You don't know how to spell your own art!"

...Of course not. The late Herman Suwanda spelled it "Pentjak", and that's why I stay with that spelling. Lastly, my Kamus Indo-Inggris dictionary spells it "Pencak", while my Rosetta Stone Bahasa immersion program spells it "Pentjak". So go argue with them.

Bobbe Edmonds

13. softhands

softhands New Member

Pencak Pentjak... Bahasa Indonesia and BM do differ slightly and there is little point since ultimately you are expressing Malay in the form of the ENglish Alphabet.

14. Bobster

Bobster Valued Member

Exactly!

15. Bobster

Bobster Valued Member

Remarkably, this thread was started by my fellow Serakkie, Mas Baz, about a seminar with one of the senior instructors. Hey Baz, how was the seminar, anyway?

Bobbe

16. masterfinger

masterfinger New Member

Hey Baz!

Hello Baz, this is Franco, we met at the last two Ring Of Fires. I'm the Las Vegas Serak Instructor under Pak Vic. How did the seminar go? Guru Chris is an excellent Silat Instructor, so I'm sure it was great. See you at the next ROF?