Bujinkan in NYC

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by KempoFist, Sep 6, 2007.

1. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

2. MagokoroDojo

MagokoroDojo Banned Banned

I have met Mr Christian a few times... why?

3. elftengu

elftengu Banned Banned

These visitors secretly want to join, which is why they spend so much of their time in our forum, and we welcome them with open arms.

4. MagokoroDojo

I sincerely hope you don't actually believe that...

5. KempoFist

A few reasons. One is I'd very much like to actually visit and train at a legitimate Bujinkan school. Second is, if someone here trains there, then I'd love to invite them down to the next Throwdown which is also in the NYC area.

I also would like to have someone explain to me first hand what the hell is going on in their movies http://www.muzosa.com/Gallery/Movies/Fall 2006 movies.html Have they attained magical "now you fall down" powers, or am I missing something?

6. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

ahh and there it is, by post 4, didnt take long really, i wonder if your fighting is as predictable as you? :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• big.jpg
      big.jpg
      File size:
      15.8 KB
      Views:
  7. KempoFist

:D

I like how you make me out to be the bad guy. I wasn't the one who put up videos of people being taught such ridiculous stuff!

8. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

I guess he could go to Maurintino [sp] and ask if he could train there.

9. MagokoroDojo

Just watched those movies and I really am not sure what to tell you...

For some reason I thought you were in Conneticutt... so I was going to tell you to go check out Greg Kowalski ( http://www.carbutti.com/nen/index.htm ) but I see you are actually in New York.

Perhaps you can go check out Josh Polier ( http://www.bujinkannyc.org/ ) and train. Your absolute best bet would be to watch his site and see when the next time he is going to have a seminar with my good friend Kacem Zoughari... I believe the next one should be scheduled soon. Mr Zoughari is an excellent representation of what the arts of the Bujinkan produce when trained properly.

10. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Seconded, he truly makes this art work.

11. Hissatsu

Hissatsu End of the Road: Moved On

Well - he is a legit BJK school. From what I have heard, it is on the softer side of the equation. Depends on what you are looking for.

If you are looking for a "lolz - ninjers" experience -- then just visit a few dojos. You are sure to run into that somewhere quickly.

-Daniel

12. SWEHurricane

SWEHurricane Valued Ninjer

If you want to know how it works I suggest you really go there and find out. If you spend so much time discussing the Bujinkan you should really try it out first, before you call things ridiculous.

I do not suggest walking in there and challenging the instructors to a throwdown, they have probably already had people do the same. Just show a genuine interest in getting to know a little about the art and listen to what the instructors say. When you have done that you can come back here and give us your opinion.

13. KempoFist

Ya know, despite my forum attitude, I think most people who know me will tell you I am far more open-minded than most other people, especially so when it comes to talking to people who appreciate the sport of MMA.

If I ever went to someone elses school, and they allowed me to participate in a class, regardless of what they're teaching I'd be the utmost respectful. Hell there was even an Aikido club that ran where we used to hold our local throwdowns (who the head of which actually was a bullshido member), and not once did we start trouble as they wristlocked each other into oblivion.

I genuinely would like to experience what is often demonstrated. I would like it even more if whoever runs a school would show me how well what they do works against someone who is even marginally resisting, rather than just falling down because they were told that's what should happen.

I never experienced training with Ninjas, and they never experienced training with someone who resists....a learning experience for us all if I ever saw one.

14. MagokoroDojo

Oh, and Ke?po if you ever find yourself down in the D.C. area shoot me an email and you can feel free to come by our training. Small group though it may be.

I understand the points you are trying to make in most of your posts, and I know you aren't trying to be overly aggressive...

15. KempoFist

I can tell from my own training the lack of proper control they use. I don't need to train with a certified Bujinkan instructor to know that you can't take someone down by driving forward onto one knee while controlling just one arm by the elbow. I also know you cannot take a person down with mere wrist control. This I know from experience. It was ridiculous. Every video in that section I posted was ridiculous.

Hence why I would like to know if anyone here trains there. Would be a bit more of an "in" so to speak. And I definitely would do what you said in terms of perhaps taking a free class and just assessing it from there. But I really would like to have the instructors or senior students partake in a little sparring or at least pressure testing. But as a complete outsider, I'd come off as just starting trouble.

16. SWEHurricane

I don't think you would come off as just starting trouble. Don't make it look as you want to test them, just show them that you are interested in the art and ask how it would look with more resistence. That's what I always do.

But every dojo is different. My instructor actually thinks that I don't resist enough, while other instructors think that I often make it hard for my training partners to learn a technique.

P.S My experiences are different. Sure you can't just grab someones wrist and pull him down, if that person is strong enough. But done properly it works. I am not experienced enough to explain these techniques, so find a dojo if you would like to try.

17. KempoFist

Well learning a technique is fine, and it's been said hundreds of times now that the first stage of drilling is in complete compliance. But by the end of that class, if you aren't resisting that move a bit, and by the end of the week then trying to put it into sparring/rolling. Well something is wrong.

18. Hissatsu

Hissatsu End of the Road: Moved On

Occassionally I am in NY. I will let you know the next time I come out. We can train.

-Daniel

19. SWEHurricane

Yes, but the technique itself is not that important. The important thing is all the pieces of the puzzle that enable you to improvise in a real situation, understanding the different principles of taijutsu. We use randori to practice specific things, and sparring just from time to time to see how well we can use what we learn to a certain extent.

That's how we train, I am not saying that I can ever be completely sure that it's the best way period. But it's the best way I have tried, and I have also done boxing.

And also, this is just how we do it in my dojo. I can't speak for the whole of the Bujinkan, and I haven't trained with that many different instructors.

20. KempoFist

Good stuff.

In the mean time maybe Ming Loyalist knows who they are (he seems to know everyone in NY), and we can set something up.