knuckle push ups

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Shortfuse, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

what do push ups on your knuckles do ? what are they for and how are they helpful? are they just a way to increase the challange?

2. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

these push ups basically condition your knuckles so that you do not feel pain when striking with them.

if you are going to try them start slow.. do NOT try them on hard wood until you have been doing them for a while. start out on the mat and work up over a number of months.

you can really mess up your hands if you try to go right to the hardwood.

if you are looking for another option for conditioning your knuckles we also punch phone books. this method works quite well and there is little less of a chance of hurting yourself.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2003
  3. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

Sorry, I thought it mostly strengthened the wrist

4. Disciple

Disciple New Member

It helps with the formation of a safe and strong first and a little with the alignment of the hand and forarm, like whne punching. It also does some knuckle conditioning, as it has been mentioned. If you want a challende try finger tips (5 then down to 2 fingers on each hand, as you get better.) but I don't think you asked about that.... I think thyey are just something different, and used to condition the wrist and knuckle alignment for punching.

5. wild_pitch

yes true they do other things as well.. even, of course work the same muscles as regular push ups.

i persoanally just use them for conditioning my knuckles.

6. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

so basicly knucke push ups are to better prepare your knuckles for pnuching? thats it??

7. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

also will push ups increase your power? will they get you stronger with punching or any basic arm movement? what would be the point of doing more push ups in a set than doing the same amount with less reps and more sets? which would be better more reps and less sets or less sets and more reps?

8. Disciple

Disciple New Member

Pushups, like any isometric will increase the ability of the muscles it works. As for the point for less rest in between pushups (ie less sets), endurance and tonages.
    More sets (let reps) and less reps... I suppose it would increase mass at a slgihtly higher rate, and that is would perhaps increase the overall effectivness of the muscle in terms of max. potential, however weights should be on you back forthe second time, to increase the work done. Which is better? What results do you want?

9. tang_sou_dao

tang_sou_dao YoU cAnT sEe Me!

using push up bars make it harder and produce more strength than endurance

10. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

are u sure? i oncde heard that the level of diffculty depends on the strenght of yur wrist that supports the push up bar

11. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

also in addition, should you only do them on your punching knuckles? i.e. fore finger and middle finger knuckle for me.

I heard rolling the wrist while doing the push up is bad.

Try this, holding one of your legs in the air while you do the push up, it's a total killer.

12. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

i only use knuckle push ups to warm up for regular push ups becuase after a while i couldnt find much of a use to do them and i dont want to waste time by wasting a set of push ups on something that isolates a part that i feel is not improving becuase iallways do a set amnount of sets(3-4sets,40-50reps) so is there anydirect benefit besides improving knuckle endurance because whenever i spar i use some sort of covering.

13. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

I use them because my palm keeps slipping on the mat. Doing it on my knuckles stops me from accidentally slipping and doing a face plant =P

14. Killerbee

Killerbee New Member

Pushups do not involve isometric muscle contractions, the involve dynamic muscle cntractions because the agonistic muscle(triceps) shortens during the movement.

15. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Knuckle pushups are primarily used to condition the knuckles. But they are actually a better exercise than pushups with palms on the floor because the position of the the hands provide a more direct stress on the arm (which is better for developing strength). As for starting on a mat, it is good only if the mat is thin enough. Punching phone books is good only if there is a wall behind them. I myself started on linoleum-covered concrete and then graduated to marble. For a surface to do knuckle pushups on, I prefer wood.
    Pushups do develop strength but after awhile, they cease as a strength developer and start as an improvement to muscular endurance. To develop further strength the way the pushup are one should be modified (wide stance, narrow stance, clapping pushups among others).
    Pushups (especially the clapping ones), ensure strong and fast punches for a very long time. Look at how Manny Pacquiao beat Antonio Barrera. Barrera's trainers probably did not expect that Pacquiao can maintain his handspeed past 4 rounds.

16. wild_pitch

again i would be careful abuout starting off on the hard floor. personally i do not see a reason to rush.

but hey they are your hands.

17. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

i use carpets for my knuckles ori would use a glove but mostly carpets

18. hafer34

hafer34 New Member

works your forearms more and makes the basic pushup harder. As far as strenthening your fists for striking I dont know, but it does make you keep your knuckles equally flat on the ground like you want them win punching. Alot of people have a problem with aligning the knuckles properly for striking.

19. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

I myself started on the marble floor at home but on my first try I could barely do three because they hurt too much. Try this method: assume the military pushup position (on knuckles) on any floor of your choice (I prefer a floor covered with linoleum or wood. They give some cushion without being easy on your knuckles. Do not do this with any gloves on.). Do one repetition, then rest for a minute, then do another. Do this until you can't bear the discomfort.
    The reason for the 1 minute rest is that when you go down, the stress on the knuckles increases due to the weight from your body, friction, and the forces you instinctively apply to stabilize the motion. As as your knuckles adjust to this the pushups shoud feel like any other pushup.
    When the above method does not present a challenge, try increasing the number of repetitions in a set or try decreasing the rest period between sets. You should be able to at least do ten without gloves and on hard surfaces within 2 to 3 weeks provided you do not have problems withe bones.

20. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Quote: I myself started on marble(?)
    I'm saying this in context. When I began training in a formal dojo the floor used was concrete covered with linoleum. The marble remark was when I still had no formal training and still reading those Bruce Lee books. I actually learned the method of progressively toughening up the knuckles in that particular dojo.
    Sorry for the confusing post =>