How do you block a katana thrust?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by shotokanwarrior, Nov 25, 2003.

1. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

shotokanwarrior here....
    there's all this stuff on knife defense, but what if your assailant is trying to impale you with a long thing like a samurai sword(katana)? or trying frenziedly + repeatedly to slash off your head? any defensive moves for that?

2. Coyote

Coyote New Member

Um. Drop to the ground, weep like a baby, and beg for mercy?

Seriously, a thrust is probably easier to avoid than a slash, but a competent swordsman is going to make mince out of you unless you also have a weapon. Think about moving on the X-- preferably in towards your opponent, because you won't be able to retreat fast enough-- and getting around behind the swordsman. Don't then attempt to fight the *******-- instead, run like heck and scream "FIRE" at the top of your lungs.

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

1) hold the center line, or
    2) step toward him and slightly off line while spinning around his thrust

The fight obviously continues from there.

4. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Get another sword or DIE....:D

5. RubyMoon

RubyMoon New Member

By being someplace else.

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Bang Bang!

Two rounds - centre mass.

7. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Why would you want to know anyways?
    Are there sword attackers where you live?

8. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

i know here in toronto katana attacks are on the rise!

9. Tireces

Tireces New Member

you mean they've risen from 0 to 1? Good lord, thats well over a 10000000% increase!

10. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

we are all very worried about this frightening trend.

11. stumpy

stumpy Valued Member

Have a sword.
    I used to fence. With a sword in your hand there are any number of different parries and ripostes.
    Without a sword, either run away, or discuss in a friendly manner over a pint.

12. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

or user your incredible inner chi to parry the thrust and explode the other person

13. Shade

Shade New Member

Even after having studied Iaido for 2 years in the past, and having partaken of Kendo, if confronted by someone wielding a sword of ANY description my personal priority would be to run like hell away.

Frankly, if you are without a weapon yourself, you will not be able to 'block' a thrust unless you had some kind of heavy shield or body armour (unlikely as how many people walk around with that on their person). You would have to try and dodge the thrust or divert its path.

As for a slash, potentially easier to divert as you can utilise the force of the sword to help move it away (as it were) but not recommended with a part of your body as it will quickly be removed.

Basically, I have taken a long time to say forget blocking, just run.

14. 4-n-zics

4-n-zics New Member

with a Tsuki Hazushi Uchi (Jyodo).. that is only if you are carrying a Jo or something that can be used as a Jo...

but, since most do not go around carrying a Jo (or a Katana for that matter) the best bet would probably be to run... :)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2003
  15. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

BLOCK means contact, only in movies can you effectively slap the broad side of a sword without slicing your hand in return. DODGE would be more acurate. And for those of you being sarcastic, yes samurai swords stopped being common weapons when their stoped being common samurai. But alot taught in MA's dont' have present day defensive uses either (when will YOU be holding a sword in a fight?:confused: Kendo, fencing, and many other sword arts are still in popular use (though not in USE use:D )

16. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

You can become a Shaolin Monk and demostrate your ability to bend a sword with your neck with chi.

17. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

yeah, and in the meantime?
    p.s. i am a girl so being a monk is out as they are all men.
    shotokanwarrior

18. Shade

Shade New Member

Couldnt you be a monkess?

Or a monkey? ;)

19. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

In the highly unlikely event that someone was threatening me with a sword I would whip off my belt and use it as an improvised weapon, with the handy buckle being a nasty weight to catch someone in the face with.

Provided my trousers don't fall down.

And I'm not wearing shorts instead of trousers.

20. xubis

xubis New Member

OMG! I just sent supernoodels up my nose from laughing so hard