How to land like a cat.

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Hapuka, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I guess I have had a lot of questions lately since I have joined back in Taekwon-do. One of the questions i have is how to land after a jumping kick, how to land softly but not too heavy. Are there any exercises I can do? Any tips?

Thanks.

2. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

My 6 month old kitten goes climbing up a tree, then jumps her way down.. hope that helps. :D

3. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Other than continuing to practice your form, I'll hazard this guess--plyometrics?

paz,

dormindo

4. SiAiS

SiAiS Moved on

Go to China

5. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

What would going to China do for Hapuka??

Practice Hapua, thats the key, concentrate on landing lightly and after a while you will get it.

6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Just practice jumping into the air and landing lightly, no kick. The most common way to land lightly is to let the ball of your foot land first and then allow the movement from ball to heel (i.e. the weight spreading from just the ball to the whole flat foot) to absorb some of the shock.

7. Klassh

Klassh New Member

*Klassh glances at his skipping rope*
    Maybe you aren't giving yourself time to land. I see a lot of areal kicks where the landing foot is practically on the ground before the kick is done. Causing a really hard land. Try to get some height, really dig in.

8. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

just to add to this, bend the knees some and try and let any tension in the legs go - in other words don't brace against the impact - go with it (if that makes sense). that should help with absorbing some of the shock.

Something just occured to me// are a cats knees on the other way round to ours?

hmm. do cats even have 'knees' or just high up 'ankles' ?

blimey :confused:

9. prowla

prowla Valued Member

You need to drink your milk out of a saucer! :)

10. Kaizen-th3

Kaizen-th3 Valued Member

you must first learn to kihup like lion

Seriously though, land on the balls of your feet and bend knees for impact. The balance can be tough, but it can take lots of practice!