TUF 5 Street Fight

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Slindsay, May 24, 2007.

1. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

http://www.ifilm.com/video/2857552

Nice arm bar but really, really good defence.

Haven't been able to watch the show so no idea whot the fighters involved are but white t-shirt guy does a damn good job of not getting KO'd at the outset, pulling guard and getting his own takedown, scrambles back to his feet and gives the other guy a headkick as he's returning to his feet that misses by inches then pulling guard to defence the takedown. Then like I say, nice guillotine into armbar and just unlucky about the defence.

All in all, i hope when i see TUF 5 the cage fights are this good.

2. Slindsay

Incidentally, I tried to count how many different MAP arguments this ties in to and my head actually would have exploded if it wasn't for the hat I was wearing, I mean seriously:

1. MMA fighters being thugs

2. How to defend against sucker punches in a street fight

3. Pulling guard in a street fight (Twice no less)

4. Submissions in a street fight (Two of them)

5. Slams in a street fight (Two of that as well!)

6. MMA on the street

7. Head kicks in a street fight (Granted they are falling over but still :p, also two of them)

8. Going to the ground on concrete (Oh NOES!)

9. Sharks

10. Ninja's

11. Lasers

12. Frikkin Sharks with frikkin lasers on their heads

13. Ninja's with sharks with lasers on their head

14. Giant squid

15. Lava, aids needles and broken glass

3. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Seems like they should just re-name this season 'TUF Drama' ;)

4. SteelyPhil

SteelyPhil Messiah of Lovelamb

Erm, if you let someone submit in a street fight aren't you just opening yourself up for getting hit in the back of the head?
    Unless you mean a Sparring on the street?

5. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Wow... looked like Noah was ready to keep going.

6. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

So stupid....just adds more to the already horrible PR MMA gets...

but that was a pretty sweet transition from guillotine to armbar. Too bad the other guy knew how to defend, and succeeded. Also notice how slamming someone onto their shoulder blades, does not end a fight :)

7. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Was that other guy Marlon? The guy who talked all sorts of smack and got his butt kicked by Matt Wiman?

Did he sucker punch Noah? Can we add the one punch knock-out/sucker punch ending a fight myth to the list? Knee, too. Noah caught Marlon with a clean knee.

Took the fight out of him, but didn't end the fight.

8. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

From what I've seen of TUF, the way they make the fighters live kind of induces this. Completely cut off from the outside world, no TV, internet, or women, having to live AND train with the same couple guys for months.... it's a pretty high stress environment. I'm surprise they managed to get through the first 4 seasons without this kind of blowup.

9. Slindsay

New Rambo trailler.

2.07, 2.11, 2.19, 2.51, 3.03

Thats the answer.

The question: What happens to pedantic gits who like to get picky about the distinction between breaks and submissions :p

10. Slindsay

Did however get him free of a very slick armbar in very, very short order. :D

11. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

wow white t shirt guy was lucky to be allowed to stand up that coulda been proper pain.

12. Slindsay

Was it a knee? I thought it was a thai style roundhouse that caught him in the head? Or do you mean what happened at 0.05 where shirtless guy got taken down?

Gotta say, I reckon if either of those two guys hadn't been trained then that fight would have been over about 12 times in the 22 seconds it lasted, counting them now:

1. First sucker punch the guy covered up against damn well
    2. Second shot from shirtless which dropped Noah is it? If he hadn't dropped and gone for ghuard but stayed standing that fight would have been over
    3. If he hadn't had his hands and legs up as he fell I'd happily bet that kick would have finished it
    4. Again keeping his legs up and avoiding the ground'n'pound
    5. Triangle attempt after the quick takedown that Noah backed out of
    6. Headkick again as the guy was coming back to his feet, how he shook that off I do not know
    7. Gertting up to the knee's and takedonw attempt after the guy got headkicked thus avoiding the g'n'p again
    8. Guillotine choke and textbook defence
    9. Arm bar attempt
    10. The very nice return to feet and slam to escape the armbar, really nice
    job I thought, if thenguy ahdn't kept his head tucked in that could have KO'd him

13. chimpjitsu

chimpjitsu extra valued member meal

great street fight!

you shouldn't cross your ankles doing the armlock from the guard like that though.

14. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Closing your guard while your back is on concrete is a bad idea. A very bad idea.

15. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

They didn't quite make it out of Season 1 without a blowup. Remember Leben/Koscheck/Southworth?

16. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

I would. Then again, I transition from open to close depending on the situation at the moment, and what I'm trying to accomplish. It's safe to say if I think I'm about to get guard slammed, that I'll open up, and hook his leg.

17. Atharel

Atharel Errant

seconded

18. Agutrot-

Agutrot- Jack of all Trades

How could it possibly prove anything if they're both great MMA fighters? Seriously...

19. BigBoss

BigBoss This is me, seriously.

Don't agree, concrete fight, yes, street fight, no. It was not the street, there were no broken bottles, lava or sharks on the floor .

20. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

Pretty stupid to be brawling when you're in a once in a lifetime opportunity to make it big. They were both just lucky they didn't get injured. I mean, where was he going to go with that armbar? Tapping out wasn't really an option so he would either have to let go or snap it, and then they both would have been going home.

Also, he closed his guard to lock in the guillotine. Its pretty hard to stand up with broken posture. But like someone else said he shouldn't have crossed his feet with the armbar.

Last edited: May 27, 2007