Exhaustion after training? Overdoing it?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by DBX, May 22, 2007.

1. DBX

DBX Valued Member

After a few yrs of taking infrequent regular exercise, I've been training in Muay Thai for 3mnths, at least 2x a week, and at least 2/3 fitness gym session (mainly aerobic / stamina but some weights).

I eat a balanced and healthy diet (though vegetarian), and am careful to have a hot bath after training, and do some exercise the day after to avoid stiffness. I also take care to have a weekly rest day.

Anyway...trouble is, I'm finding I'm often feeling lethargic and aching, particularly in my chest, arms & shoulders.

Today's (Tuesday) especially bad, after last night's session (which was hard, hot & sweaty), and training Sunday also.

Also I do tend to sweat alot. Before anyone else in the session and pretty much constantly once I've started (this is just me, always have sweated easily). I'm wondering if I may need mineral replacement supplements or something?

So I'm wondering...Is this exhaustion / aching just normal recovery & part of getting fitter/ fit enough?

or Am I over doing it and need to rest more?

or do I need to focus on exercising / strengthening those bits that are aching?

Any ideas, advice appreciated...

2. Aqilifer

Aqilifer New Member

2x muay thai sessions in a week? You're not overdoing it. Pain in arms, chest and shoulders is normal as far as i know. I feel the same way when training steps up in preparation for tournament. It feels like you've been beaten with a metal bar all over shoulders and neck. Thats from general exhaustion. My advice: check again you are eating enough, stretch after training. Once you get in a rutine, pain goes away.

3. DBX

DBX Valued Member

At least 2 a wk, more when other commitments allow (I've trained 3 outta the past 4 days), + and 2 / 3 gym sessions a wk.

If it's normal then cool. I was just worried about getting over-tired / burning out.

;)

4. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

Sound normal to me!
    I train 2 Muay thai sesions a week, 2 Kick boxing, 2 Kali. 1x Fighter's class (Conditioning sparring) and 1x advanced kickboxing every week.
    I also run 2.5km every lunch time, weights every friday, a 4-5km run every saturday followed by a sparring session (1-2 hours)

As your consitioning improves you notice the lethargy less.

Make sure you eat LOTS of protein, get plenty of rest and drink lots of water/

5. Kralk

Kralk Valued Member

I heard the quicker you start sweating the fitter you are, it meens your body can cool itself quicker and more efficiantly. Either that or your a fat slob who sweats all the time.

6. number 6

number 6 Valued Member

Three months is not a long time, it can take a while to get used to training.
    Don't worry too much about the sweating (the chinese would just say you have internal heat), you will find that you will sweat less and find it easier the longer you train.
    As a vegetarian, make sure your eating well.
    And the pain in your chest, is it muscular, if so thats fine, but if you fimd it to be on one side or effecting your lungs better get it checked out.
    As a final word i would say, keep at it, train hard and with a good mindset. All training no matter what the style will hurt at the atart, but it does get easier

7. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

Well..... If oyu are training Muay thai right, it never gets easier. you just recover quicker for the next session of hell.

However as a Thai boxer you will get used to that feeling and long for it when it isnt there...

8. number 6

number 6 Valued Member

Well it might not get easier but you get used to been knackered. I dont practise muay tai my self but have been involved in some sort of martial arts training since i was 12 (now 27), but the style doesn't really matter, you do get used to it. My muscles dont feel excessively sore after training (well not all the time)you do get used to it, it could be a 1000 rep of a sword cut or a load of sparring,it does effect you but not in the way whem you first started, it never get easy, i wouldn't be doing it if it did, but your body does adapt to it.
    I was just trying to get the gut to realise this and not to overworry.

9. Singto Laaw

Singto Laaw Strictly Muay Thai

I think you need to look closer at your diet, as SCP said protein plays an important part in development, especialy in the art of Muay Thai, how are you getting protein in at the moment? Protein drinks, eggs....

But your heavy sweating needs to be looked at a little closer, your are probably right you may need to take mineral supplements, as some of the exhaustion could be down to dehydration, or the inability to retain water. Your stiffness could be because of the exhaustion, general training or cramping due to the lack of water.

10. DBX

DBX Valued Member

Thx for all replies!

Diet wise I eat eggs & diary products, soya / tofu / quorn proteins & nuts. It's something I've been aware of before.

I will try mineral replacement supplements.

I had an incident when I trained Muay Thai one night and went to the gym, followed by a sauna the next day. I felt v.faint and lightheaded afterwards, and quickly realised I was salt depleted. Since then I try to have a few salty nuts around.

I've always sweated easily, I remember back in school in PE aged 8 or so, being the first to break sweat. I'm not overweight or fat. I just sweat easily (and ppl always say my hands and feet are v.warm too, dunno if this could be connected?).

I am training quite hard, focussed and positively at MT, and think my work rate is comparable to most in the session. It's not like I'm the slow weak beginner struggling to keep up, even tho I do find it hard and I'm nicely exhausted by the end of the session! ;)

11. Irish

Irish Valued Member

Sounds like you need more water!

12. DBX

DBX Valued Member

I drink loads of water, (in fact I've cut down, cos I was drinkin much more than the RDA, I still drink plenty, but more fruit juices now too) so I don't think that's the problem.

If there is a problem that is, sounds like it's just normal aches & recovery I'm experiencing.

13. KuKulzA

KuKulzA Taiwanese independence!

having an intense exercise regimen after a period of inconsistent exercise usually does that, you'll feel all sore and crapy till you get used to it... then you like it in a weird way, cause you know you're getting stronger... its like that tired satisfaction... you know you've become a stronger person, a better fighter, and your discipline is paying off! :)

14. DBX

DBX Valued Member

Yeah. I think so. I'm seeing the signs of improvement already.

Not least being able to lift more weight in the gym, not puffing and panting my way thru the MT sessions (like I was for the 1st few wks), and knowing that my kicks are getting much more powerful & snappy.

15. KuKulzA

KuKulzA Taiwanese independence!

I'm happy for ya...

I was never much of an athletic kid... used to have terrible coordination and my parents stressed my academics more, and wanted me in track and swimming... which was good for my legs though... tilll i injured my knees in track...

so beginning martial arts made me work my upper-body more and i have stronger upper-body now...
    what is good is that you push yourself just a little beyond ease, and just work it everyday or consistently, inch a little more than you'd easily do... little by little... and over the course of a year or two, you'll be in good shape. Add martial arts to the mix and little by little, as time flies, you'll find yourself really progressing...
    but there'll be SO much more to know, which is the beauty of martial arts... is martial, and an art... and thus there is always room to keep exploring and perfecting

16. sportmuaythai

sportmuaythai Valued Member

DBX, have you heard of Post Workout drink? It's really carb rich drink with some electrlytes and protien added. Gatorade with a little protien could be OK. Chocolate milk is the current rage. The drink is best taken within thirty minutes on completion of your workout.

17. martialmartian

martialmartian Valued Member

I started training MT 3 months ago, averaging at between 2-3 sessions per week.
    I was also training trad JJ but moved to BJJ 2 weeks ago. Previously I done no exercise for 8 yrs. Been runing 2.5 miles (jogging interspersed with sprints) 2 times a week.

Have been feeling pretty lethargic recently, and after BJJ on thursday I just slumped into the seat on the bus home.......could hardly move.

I put this 2-3 weeks period of extreme lethargy down to a wisdom tooth extraction followed by infection and strong antibiotics. . . a period marred by inability to eat a full diet and poor sleep. I've been to a few sessions since I recoverd.

I feel much fresher today. Am going to give MT miss today just to give myself a further chance to recover. I'm starting to eat more varied diet (2 weeks of porridge and mashed potatoes :cry: Not good!)

So I know what you're saying OP.... someon e else pointed out the constant 'pain' after training and missing it when not there. So true, I missed out nearly 2 weeks of training and missed it. . .

As time goes on I'm starting to feel better after training, i.e.... not sitting staring at the ground for a while. A brisk walk home followed by a cool down stretch and a bath has worked wonders....

Hope you start to feel more comfortable soon.

Someone mentioned a postworkout protein/carb shake... any pointers as to what brands are best...???

cheers all
    mm

18. SteelyPhil

SteelyPhil Messiah of Lovelamb

You serious about chocolate milk for post workout drink? I will have to try if you are serious.

19. sportmuaythai

sportmuaythai Valued Member

Absolutely. I used to drink Endurox R4, but now I drink chocolate milk + whey isolates after training. Cheaper, and more conveniently available. Much cheaper too. Link below just one of many that praise chocolate milk.
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=301936&highlight=chocolate

20. Aqilifer

Aqilifer New Member

Chocolate milk?? C'mon....why are you taking whey isolate then? Only thing good about chocolate milk is that it's cheap and it tastes better then protein. I wouldn't give it so much credit.