Crazy Monkey Boxing

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by SteveJKDUK, Nov 15, 2003.

1. SteveJKDUK

SteveJKDUK New Member

Has anyone trained in it? What is it like?

Just want a bit more information on it! :cool:

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Crazy Monkey is basically a defensive structure devised primarily by the SBG guys - mainly Rodney King from SA (No, not THAT Rodney king)

You can see it being trained here...

http://www.straightblastgym.dk/video/sbgi_seminartour.wmv

A VERY cool clip with quite a few people I know on it!

3. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Wow great stuff, good footage and some excellent teaching from the seems of it.

4. totality

totality New Member

psh...just because he's black. ;)

5. YODA

No - he isn't :p

6. SteveJKDUK

SteveJKDUK New Member

That is a great clip. I think I might put them videos on my Xmas list (or pre-Xmas list)!

Mind you, is it me or does Matt Thornton look like a giant compared to everyone else in the video? :D

7. YODA

Yes he does - that's because he IS!

8. BIG Sean

BIG Sean New Member

Hey All,

The Crazy Monkey is a variation of Mike Tyson's peak a boo. It is defensive in nature, but with slips you can really turn it on. The hands are held high on the head/forehead and the forearms are used mostly to deal with attacks. There is no parries and it is not solely attribute driven.

The stance is much more squared off than a typical boxing or JKD stance which is great for shooting and sprawing.

Enjoy,

BIG Sean Madigan

Combative Solutions Training Center

SBGi ATG

9. SteveJKDUK

SteveJKDUK New Member

Would there be any issues/problems with integrating the Crazy Monkey framework into my JKD byjong? The JKD stance tends to be more side on?

10. BIG Sean

BIG Sean New Member

CM and JFJKD Stance

Hi Steve,

I can not see why you can not use the Crazy Monkey. Of course some adjustments have to made, but yes, it can be done. A perfect example of this is Marco Hernandez who trains in JKD under Ted Wong as well as the SGBi guys and he has brought the two together.

I have a little background in JKD myself and have been using the Crazy Monkey very well, as have the fighters that train with me.

All the best,

BIG Sean Madigan

Team Combative Solutions

SBGi ATG

11. SteveJKDUK

SteveJKDUK New Member

Re: CM and JFJKD Stance

Thanks Sean! I think I'm going to buy the videos and work on it. Since I don't dedicate all my time to punching, slipping, weaving like a boxer, I know they aren't my best attributes. Crazy Monkey does seem like a excellent platform to fall back on when I'm getting outboxed.

12. DaisyW

DaisyW New Member

Question on Crazy Monkey

Hey Yoda,

Really enjoyed this video.

I've only six months of intro grappling/mixed MA behind me and I have dual goals. Improving in class, which I really enjoy and which offers a good mix of approaches, and picking up what I need for practical self-defense from whatever source. I'm improving in strength and flexibility, but my physical reality is never going to be anything but 5'7 and not as strong or big as so many (men and women) I see and work with. Do you think these would be good tapes (I'm guessing from the other posts that there's a CM series) for me to get and work on at home? Any other suggestions for some at-home tapes?

Always appreciate your wit and brevity.

DaisyW

Last edited: Feb 19, 2004
  13. YODA

As long as "at home" means with training partners then yes, Rodney's tapes would be very useful.

14. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Wow, that guy is really tall!!! lol

Good video :) Definatly gunna watch it a few times over!!! was that rosi sexton i seen then aswell?

Because im tall, i have a silly habit of ducking my head down when under attack which really makes it easy for the opponent to grab it and start using their knee's :( so ive really got to work on that as it's definatly a bad flaw.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2004
  15. YODA

Yep - that was Rosi.

16. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

hehe yeah, just watched the video again and im sure im not the only guy who thinks shes kinda sexy :)

Crazy monkey seems very good defensive position, gunna have to give it a decent try. nice vid!!!

I just oh so wish i could go to seminars like those!!!! :(

17. YODA

I'll pass that on next time I see her. I'm sure Karl will appreciate it :D

18. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

LOL thanks ;)

I was having a debate about her sex appeal with a friend, he claims she just looks like a guy... my opinion differs though! :p she's got killer legs! :D heheh

19. YODA

She can come across as a little "butch" in photos. She's quite different in real life - very quiet & softly spoken, and VERY good at what she does.

I have a photo I took of her on a camping trip to the Lake District back in about '96 - with long hair. Before you ask - NO! She'd kill me!

20. DaisyW

DaisyW New Member

No, just meant to watch and study. I know, I know ... that's no replacement for class, sparring, etc., and it won't be. Once in a while, I can figure something out from a book or video that I can't "see" in class. Thanks for your reply.