Kiai Carita - Uber Silat deadliness and some questions

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by slipthejab, Apr 22, 2007.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Ok people... here's a real gem of a post... that I couldn't let be. :D
    It's from this thread here:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53198&page=3
    (I chimed in with post #37)

It's not the only gem in there... but it was so silly... it warranted a whole new thread. :D
    The parts I've put in bold are the parts of this post that I find ridiculous bordering on abolutely nonsense. As for the first part... I don't think this is the case. I'm willing to bet that there isn't any evidence for migration of martial arts in the direction that Kiai Carita is suggesting.

1) I challenge him to back this up with even one shred of credible evidence. Historically, anthropologically... anything but anecdotal fluff.

2) I'd ask any viewers of this thread their opinion his assertion that Muay Thai is merely simplified/westernized Silat.

Now.. onto the second part of his post...
    Sorry, but I just find this absolutely absurd. In the extreme. It's sheer fantasy land stuff. So again...

1) I'm challenging Kiai Carita to back this up with even one iota of credible evidence. (as it stands now it's pretty much defying the laws of physics)

2) I'd ask any of the viewers here just how far they think an 8-hour a day silat practitioner would fair against a Muay Thai fighter who was 20 years his junior.

Needless to say... I think it'd never happen... in a Kung Fu comic maybe and even if by some miracle it did... woe to the old Silat dude... he's in for a beating like he's never had. :D

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  2. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

I think it was a typo, he meant a 27 year old Silat Player could take on a Muay Thai fighter 20 years his junior.

3. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

From what I've heard from friends of mine who have studied Silat for several years, they get told by their instructors that Silat is the Mother Art for pretty much everything from India to Hawaii.

4. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

I find it ironic that posters on the original thread say that Silat people have 'nothing to prove', unlike those macho Muay Thai nutcases, yet clearly show they DO have something to prove by nature of their arguments. I will fully accept the validity of any Silat fighting method once I see it action. However, at the moment, the height of "Silat in Action" looks suspiciously like WTF Taekwondo, without the nifty spinning kicks:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSK27P9gI08&mode=related&search="]Ibrahim Vs Isfahani (Round 2) - YouTube[/ame]

5. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

it is suspiciously look like taekwondo, its sport silat, played at SEA games in Asia.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yet another person saying that "such and such" could take Thai boxing.
    Thai boxers really are the benchmark when it comes to MA striking or else people wouldn't continually say they could beat them.
    Like claiming you could beat the local hardman to make out you're actually harder than him.

7. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

agreed, with all this comparison to Muay Thai, I think I mighta as well just train the guaranteed #2 striking art, than take a gamble on the hundreds claiming to be #1 without proof. How's that for making an educated consumer decision?

8. slipthejab

For me it's not Silat that I have the issue with. It's when you get someone who comes on posting as a representative of Silat and bigging it up as if it's the Uber Martial Art of death. Then proceeds to post a bunch of ill informed and baseless assertions that he really can't back up.

In short... Kiai Carita (aka: Bram) is a phony.... a fake.... a fraud. Someone who posts like the big man on campus... but my, my, my how fast he becomes the shrinking violet when asked to back any of his garbage up!!!!

When I originally posted this I saw that Kiai Carita had come on and read it... but hadn't responded... so earlier to day I sent him an e-mail letting him know that I was hoping that he'd respond and clear up or at least try substantiate some of what he's posted in regards to Silat and Muay Thai...

I was civil and relatively polite in my letter to him. Here is the response I got:

Well if that doesn't just about sum it up. Kiai Carita or Bram is a fake. A fraud. A phony. He can talk the talk but can't walk the walk. He knows what he posted is pap but isn't big enough to admit or even deal with. He choses to deal with by sticking his head in the sand.

Pathetic. :bang:

Kiai Carita (Bram) you're an embarrassment to your art of Silat and you do a disservice to other Silat practitioners. Shame on you.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  9. KempoFist

Does Bram live in the US? Preferably in the north east territory? I'd be more than happy to put his Death-Fu to the test. I have more than enough protective equipment, and helpers to make this a rather scientific endeavor to determine the deadliness.

Just call me....
    [​IMG]

10. slipthejab

LOL! :D

Naw he's supposedly based out of London and Jakarta. But honestly... he's not even big enough to respond to polite questions to him... so no way he's going to risk a beating in actual confrontation... he's content to live in his fantasy world.

11. KempoFist

No one ever wants to prove their deadliness :(

*puts away his beakers, and lab goggles*

12. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Keep the goggles on mate - they suit ya :p