Slapping arts of Northern Luzon

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by BGile, Apr 11, 2007.

1. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

The National Geographic, about 100 years ago, mention's the slapping arts of the Northern Luzon tribes. No sticks or knives they were empty hands.

Any one read about the art of slapping, and if it affected the Sinawali arts of Luzon?

http://www.geocities.com/fasa_usc/culture/eskrima-kali-arnis.htm

I'd say there was a misprint here about Arnis and Kali and Escrima. I have read that Kali is the older art, but some will say not much is known about it, so they discount the art of Kali :) Kali the Goddess of India, is sometimes mentioned?

Gary

2. Black_Grass

Black_Grass Valued Member

Gary,

Its been awhile since I have read those articles ( like 10 yrs). Actually, there was an entire issue(s) decidated to the Philppines. Mostly focusing on the Northern Luzon head hunter tribes ( Ifugao, Igorot, Kalinga ). These people lived in isolation in the interior of Luzon away from the influence of the spanish.

I believe that the arts of the headhunters had very little ( if any) influence on the arts of already hispanized(sp?) Pampanga ( where Sinawali orginiates).

The art they may have be talking about is boltong a wresting art practiced by the Bontoc Igorot. It is still practed today.

As for the link I'm not sure what that has to do with the above question, and the since there is a whole other thread about kali being older. i won;t discuss it here.

Vince
    akak Black Grass

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Interesting stuff.
    I'd been up that way once. Unfortunately the bus I was on hit a Kalinga tribesman and killed him. It became a big mess. The bus company was White Rabbit Bus company and for a time there... the Kalinga were out to get the White Rabbit Bus company. Scary stuff that.

4. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Hi Vince,
    As far as Kali:
    I will have to transfer it to the other and have it there also... Maybe??? I believe it addresses the term "Kali" different in regards to what I am posting.

For in reality, I am mentioning that Arnis is the incorrect term in the post I have a link to. Pretty common among many of the various arts that want to use a name and make it the one that was first.

You are correct, the whole (issue that month) magazine was regarding the Head Hunters of Luzon.

If I could post more pictures it would be good but unfortunatly most of them excede the limits that are put on them as far as MB and KB.

I can try to make them smaller, but they are not that clear in the first place. I will transfer some of the text though to confirm what I am saying about the Hunting and Fighting aspects of the Bow.

But if they were "Hunting" rather than just "Fighting" it can be misconstrued forever, and say they were always hunting. Depends on how desperate one wants to be to contest the term "Fighting". :rolleyes:

If one is the Hunted and fights the Hunter off, I believe it is a valued term for what they used the Bow along with the Arrow for. :)

Gary

5. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

The slapping arts predate the stick and is/was a form of practice for not hurting your partner with a weapon. They were the start of Sinawali I am thinking?

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64381&page=5

Above is a location we are talking about for weapons of the area. I don't see many sticks being shown. Does that mean they did not have them?

http://www.vikingsword.com/rila/krieger.html

To continue the talk about weapons and slapping I felt it was important to show the above. They had many weapons. The hands and feet being first.

Gary

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

there's a joke in the philippines that goes: what is the most dangerous animal in the philippines? anser: the white rabbit bus.

we call it "white rabid"

7. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

:D

8. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Hi,
    That is cool story, in the land of Mexico it is similar with the stories of the crazy drivers and the deaths that occur for the local's from the bus's. The one that is the most dangerous is the Flecha Amarillo (Yellow arrow).

Any thoughts on the slapping arts and the correlation with Sinawali?

Gary

9. shootodog

showing your age are we :D

pretty much in isolation. in fact, they rose up in arms to create their own autonomus region with the laws of their forefathers.

yes. the CAR arts were never influenced by the "lowland" arts. except for cabaraon of ilocos which bears a resemblance to the lowland arts with a distinctive ilocano flavor.

yes. it is. boltong gain exposure here through daniel "mumbakki" foronda jr.'s urcc fight. and through the brotherhood once known as submission dungeon brotherhood.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  10. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

shootodog you mentioned ilocano flavor, meaning ilocano arts, i've never heard of or seen it. can you tell us more about it? please and thank you :)

11. shootodog

hard to describe really. have seen some of it through friends but have never fully explored it. maybe i should.

12. Dagatan

Dagatan New Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZMqbcElDHA"]Bahala Na - YouTube[/ame]
    Giron cabaraon, ie Bahal Na.