I need help about Kung Fu

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Smitty16, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Smitty16

Smitty16 Banned Banned

Hey,
    I am looking for a style to seriousley defend myself in a street fight and not some show off stuff. So I was wondering if Kung Fu is a serious street fighting style or ''combative style'' that would be effective in a street fight. Thank you for your time.

2. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

Smitty;
    a style of any kind has little to do with becoming a good fighter. Find a good teacher in a style that is available and enjoyable to you and train hard. Become as strong, healthy, knowledgeable, productive as you can. Spar often to see where the holes are in your style ( they all have some ) and pick up knowledge of other styles that fill those holes.
    Focus on street fighting & you'll probably die in an ally. Focus on being a complete MA'ist, the odds are better.

3. Smitty16

Smitty16 Banned Banned

Thanks for helping. I think I will do Kung Fu then or Okinawan. lol which ever one is closer to my house. thanks.

4. Chinesericeboy

Chinesericeboy New Member

heh not alot of people kick in street fighting so learn boxing and the techniques...my friend trained me and my fighting skills doubled!

5. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

There are many forms of Kung Fu, from the very 'soft' forms like Tai Chi to very hard styles such as traditional Hung Gar. Also, every teacher has their own leaning to the emphasis they place on the different parts of the art (forms, semi-contact fighting, full-contact, sticky hands, self defence techniques etc). No style is better than any other, just different.

Asking if Kung Fu is effective on the street is like asking if 4 wheeled cars are fast. It depends on the car, on your perspective, and what else you want out of it. I personally believe you need a balance in your art - no point having a car with a powerful engine, but no suspension or brakes.

The usual advice applies - try out the styles around you and see which suits you best.

Just my tuppence.

HKF