Motivation

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by taekwonguy, Jan 2, 2007.

1. taekwonguy

taekwonguy Very Valued Member :)

Hi guys,

I think I'm having a little problem with getting motivated, I think about training a lot, I read about training a lot, especially weight training, when I go into the garage and do it, I seem to get very bored and give up, then in bed at night, I think to myself, "tommorow is the day! no more slacking off, 100% effort" but that day never seems to come.

Is it maybe because I am not enjoying it? I love going to class so that is not a problem.

Also I spend a lot of the time actully putting on the weights changing from each exercise rather than doing it

Motivating tips please?

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Same advice as I gave you in the personal training thread. And it's advice I need to follow myself. HAVE. A. PLAN.

Take some time up front (perhaps some of that time you're spending reading) to sit down and work out specifically what you want to improve. In counseling, we'd call it a treatment plan. But it works for plenty of other things too. Basically it's a chart with the headings 1) goal, 2) objectives, 3) interventions, 4) timeline, and 5) criteria.

The goal is a general thing you want to achieve. "More flexibility" or "better with my hands in sparring" for example.

Objectives are the more specific targets that are involved. For instance, with the "better with my hands in sparring" goal, the objectives might be to be able to land your lead jab consistently in sparring, to be able to hold your own against a decent boxer in your class, etc.

The interventions are the specific things you're going to do to achieve the objectives. For example, 10 rounds on the focus mitts working specific combinations, same with the double-ended bag, sparring using only the jab, etc.

The timeline is a realistic target date for when you're going to achieve these things. If the date is too far off, you won't be motivated to do it. If it's too close, you won't achieve it and will get discouraged.

Finally, the criteria is how you'll know you succeeded. Being able to beat a certain classmate with your hands only, for instance.

That'd be my advice anyway.

Stuart

3. taekwonguy

nope I have the plan thanks! it's the motivation and self-discipline to get on with it I need help with!

4. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I think the starting point is
    1. To set yourself a list of what drills/exercises you are going to do on each training occasion and how long you are going to spend on each. Initially do lots of drills for small amounts of time to stay off boredom.
    2. Accompany that list with tips on how you can improve each element of each exercise.
    3. With each exercise set yourself a small achieveable goal to mark improvement each week/fortnight. Progress is made through small recognisable increases. Nothing breeds success like success.
    4. Film yourself doing your training routine or exercises - then watch it back on tv - it is a great way to spot your techniques but also see how much time you really do spend training. Note what you are doing well as well as what you need to improve. Concentrating too much on your weaknesses will undermine your confidence. There is good and could be better - there is no bad.
    5. While training listen to fast beat music to keep your training tempo or your spirits up. Alternatively get some motivational cds.
    6. Get a punch bag and work it into your drills so you are hitting a target full pelt as well as thin air.

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Okay, what's the plan? Perhaps talking about it will get you motivated.

6. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Enjoying it helps enormously. One thing that keeps me going week after week is that each time I work out I'm either lifting more weight than the week before, or I'm lifting the same weight for more reps. In other words, I can see myself getting stronger and stronger.

Does your plan include adding more weight to the bar on a regular basis? (And if not, why not?)

HTH

7. taekwonguy

yeah it does,

I have a good plan,

on mondays, wednesdays and fridays, I run in the morning

on tuesdays, thursdays and saturdays, I weight train

every morning I do dynamic stretches

every evening I do dynamic stretches, static dynamic stretches, and static passive stretches

the days I weight train I do isometric stretches

on mondays and fridays I have tkd

on mondays, wednesdays and fridays I work on my hands

on tuesdays, thursdays and saturdays I work on my legs

At the moment I am doing a size weight training workout, mainly 4x6 and 3x8 which is getting spectacular results, even though I find the workout boring
    ( I might try music to keep my spirits up)

After I get to my preferred size I will be focusing on power and strength with 2x12 and 2x20 for legs

I will then introduce circuit training and interval training for endurance

and in May when I get my moped I will do wing chun on wednesdays! :D

this is my plan for 2007!

8. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

How much of that are you doing at the moment?

9. John Titchen

It seems like a good work out - but what you must do is set yourself targets to achieve. Gaining those and working towards the new ones is what will keep you motivated.

10. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

You could even have a flick through the twelvty other motivation threads dotted about.

As I've said before, my opinion is that if you find yourself "wanting to do something" but never seem to do it - it's because in actual fact, you don't want to do it.
    People will only ever do what they want. The person who genuinly wants to train in their heart is already doing it. The person who is sitting around blithering about 'wanting' to do something but not actually doing it, is also doing what he wants; nothing.
    There's a big difference between those who feel they want to, and those who 'think' they want to on a more surface level.

Change your methods, change your game plan, force yourself, trick yourself, use all the psychology you like. Either way you're still left with a core issue. Try finding that instead.

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Exactly! Well said.

12. taekwonguy

all of it, I just find the weight training a bit boring, it takes ages putting on the weights, and the running, the rest I all enjoy, I'll try doing it with music

13. John Titchen

Alternatively - if you want to really be productive, get some fear management and motivational self protections cds. The Blauer Tactical Confrontation Management System ones are very good.

14. taekwonguy

15. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

have you ever tried circuit training or super/tri setting your workouts. this will decrease the amount of time it takes to complete a workout and it also has a cardio element

16. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I think each and every one of us has found ourselves where you currently are now. :) (some of us more than others ;) )

I guess I will be repeating what others have previously posted.

It's a new year, and a good time to start yourself a new routine but it is always important to set some sort of goals(other than just exercising itself). If you don’t have a reason totrain, you’ll never feel any real sense of accomplishment and absent any sense of accomplishment it’s going to be hard to enjoy your routine or stick to it.

Setting a goal will also help you to track your progress and as you get closer to achieving your goal you’ll feel more drive to go the gym or do your exercise program.

Each person may have a different motivation to exercise .... (to lose weight or drop a size)and your goal does not need to be esthetic at all. It may be to just get in shape to train in the martial arts .... whatever you choose it must be important to you otherwise when it is “inconvenient” to exercise, your goal will not be enough to motivate you to get up and get out there.

So what do you do once you finally set a goal for yourself?
    .....you need to make achieving it fun.

If you do anything repetitively without variety, it gets old pretty quick. Your half way there changing up your weights and your exercises... you just need to complete them now.
    So to keep motivated, you need to be able achieve that goal by using a variety of different methods of training to keep your routine interesting.

If you can't do it on your own ... take some exercise classes at the gym, learn the various different exercises so that once you've got the hang of them you can go at it on your own. Also the external motivation to get to the class on time will help!

g-bells suggestion of circuit training is a good one! Also there are now more exercise toys and tools available such as the Swiss ball, medicine balls, wobble boards, Bosu balls, and functional exercise machines. Many of these "toys" are inexpensive, and can provide fun exercise alternatives to avoid boring repetition.

Other than that bit of advice, perhaps getting a partner or hiring a trainer who can design a program for you, listen to your goals and help you to reach them ;)

17. taekwonguy

I don't have a particular goal, apart from looking good through exercise, lol he's the only guy who I can think of, but apart from films, like Bruce Lee, I am just developing myself with no particular goal like competition or anything else though I would like to teach in the future, I just want to develop myseld, I just....... train! and want to be the best I can be

18. Yuske Urameshi

Yuske Urameshi Valued Member

taekwonguy, just between you and me, this is how I get motivated:

All I have to do is think. About all the hurts of the past, the unnessesary stress,.... all the opponents I have lost and sometimes won aganst,.... and all the ones i'll have to go through to finally earn some honor and respect...

and all becomes clear.

-Yusuke

p.s. if that fails, just think of all the girls you will get with a better body! :cool:

19. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

you must walk across the rice paper and not leave a footprint grasshopper :D

20. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Taekwonguy, If you don't lifting weights then don't do it!

Do body weight exercises instead.
    You don't have to change weights doing that.
    Body weight exercises for dummies