Did Hoshin die with Glenn Morris?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Keikai, Nov 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

If anyone read he books then the first thought was what a nutcase, but then when you continued reading you can see he really was into his art. Now Hoshin worked for him, does it work for others in the same way?

Was Hoshin a phallic symbol of Glenn Morris's sexual ability and its cross over into the mind of an extraordinary man?

Was his art really just for him and now he has died will it really live on?

2. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

For me, the title didn`t help, "path notes of a ninja master", i did try and read it but found way to heavy(reading wise before Greg jumps in ;) )

My 2p worth

3. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

yes but you only normally read the Beano!!! :D

Apart from the bujinkan does anyone know where any of the teachings came from?

4. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Musashi??? :eek: :D :D

It seems almost like an esoteric MMA. Er I’m not saying that's a negative thing !

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  5. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

:D dont go there, keep that to the sword thread, i am looking for the basis of the art here.

6. Lord Spooky

Yeah I know see above ;)

7. SkipJack

SkipJack New Member

Wierd coincidence, I just started trying to re-read "path-notes" again yesterday. I find it has far too many floating vaginas for me to take seriously. Maybe I'll grow up one day.... maybe not :D

8. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

thats the thing i see in the books, it was his views and idea's of things, some people say they can see things like Glenn, can they or is it suggestive thinking?

was this art just for him?

9. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

For him and anyone who relates?

10. SkipJack

SkipJack New Member

I try to keep an open mind about these things, and I certainly don't know enough about it to make any final decision. My gut feeling is that if you desire something so much, eventually you will start to see and feel it. A bit like self-hypnosis.

11. garth

garth Valued Member

Kouryuu posted

Its quite possible of course that Mr Morris had no control over the title. When you write a book and have it published the publishers want to sell that book and will take all kinds of liberties to do so.

Gary Arthur

12. Lord Spooky

Sort of like if people are looking for a white stallion then eventually they’ll find horse shoes on an ant!

Note: That's in reference to Skips comment not Hoshin!

13. eternalseeker

eternalseeker Valued Member

I asked Glenn about the title when he stayed with me for a few weeks in 2003 - in hindsight, he said that he thought most of the "serious" ninja crowd had missed the somewhat tongue in cheek nature of it. He also said that, if he had to do it again he would substitute "ninja" for "budo".

Similarly, much of the content can/should be taken in the same way. Not everything in there was intended to be read literally... ;) Glenn taught rhetoric and that really came through in his teaching.

I don't consider that Hoshin has "died" with Glenn at all. Certainly his legacy lives on although inevitably the system will be in a state of flux for a time. He made clear arrangements for Gord Hessie to succeed him and clearly he will take it forward as best he can.

Craig

14. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Don't know about going forward Craig. It seems that Hoshin has developed a lot of flak recently regarding the Musashi and the whole theory around it. It has now spread to the "Is this for real" part of the e-budo forum. Maybe the art is being "pushed" into the mainstream and people are just not ready for what Morris was talking about.

But like the Earth Belt seminar, people are getting graded and it will soon develop. But it will take time though.

15. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

I don't now much about Hoshin, or Glenn, but it's pretty hard to kill an idea. If what he was teaching sticks with just a handful (or less) of people, then I doubt it's going to die

16. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

It wil lbe a long time before it is an established Ryu or school of teaching. It has the detracters and the ones in favour of the school. To me, it seems like it will be knocked back before it can get better. Maybe part of Hoshin has died with Morris, and Hoshin itself is just a former shell. But they will eventually fill in the gaps and get it back to where it needs to be.

17. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

What???

Can anyone briefly sum up what Hoshin is, without derailing the thread?

18. eternalseeker

eternalseeker Valued Member

One other point...

I appreciate that a lot of the people involved in Hoshin have/had Ninjutsu backgrounds etc and that Glenn was highly graded in the Bujinkan but Hoshin is not a "ninja off shoot" - maybe, therefore, this thread should be moved to "western martial arts" rather than remaining here in the Ninjutsu section?

Craig

19. SkipJack

SkipJack New Member

Unlikely :Angel: :D

20. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Err.... Pass :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.