A query for MAP Pagans

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Athleng Nordic, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

I curious who here on MAP is Pagan or Wiccan.

I'm a Teutonic Pagan myself. Been out of the broom-closet for 15ish years now.

I'm not a Godi, but I'm working with the runes and may be a Vitki one day.

2. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Discordian

[​IMG]

the Zen for Roundeyes Pagans - Eris is our Goddess

3. ember

ember Valued Member

Me, though I'm usually pretty quiet about it. Northern European blend, with a lot of influence from the world's mystic traditions (Sufi, Zen, Taoism, Christian, etc.). Don't quite have the research background to go straight-reconstructionist, even if I wanted to.

But if you want to talk runes sometime, drop me a PM.

4. Athleng Nordic

Hey, there are two who come out.

I've have several PM's from members who don't want to be open yet.

ember, how long have you worked with the runes, or do you prefer to keep it a PM discussion?

5. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I have done runes for about 25 years now, long before I was a Discordian. Obviously it's not really a discordian thing, Eris being from the Greek Pantheon.

6. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

I'm not actually one, but I think paganism is pretty darn cool. There's supposedly a Pagan Student Alliance on campus, that I'd kind of like to join... it's kind of been on hiatus for a while, though.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Technically Thelemic - although thee are caveats attached to that which I can expand upon if pressed...;-)

8. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Just out of a passing notion, did you ever find Pagan books for kids?

9. Emil

Emil Valued Member

I'm not strictly speaking Pagan, as I have my own theological beliefs, many being influenced by my Roma upbringing, many being influenced by Paganism.

10. Athleng Nordic

Mother, yes I have found several. Ironicly several in a christian book store. I did let them know politely what they had on thier shelves. I received hostility and resentment in return. Makes me wonder.

Hannibal, I'm pressing you. ;) PM if you feel more comfortable.

Dougie, would you mind if I picked your brain about the runes?

Props for everyone who's responded. Some feel a need to remain clositered, some want to remain unknown, and many still feel persucuated for thier beliefs. I applaude everyone who is willing to be open. :)

11. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Me too, right? :D

I have always been vaguely astonished by the lack of understanding that many of my fellow Christians have for their own religion. Most of our practices are bastardizations of other religions, of course that said, most religions are just piece-meals of other religions anyway- which has always lead me to the conclusion that its all the same place we are going any, but the different roads to get there make for more interesting senery- but I digress. The Celts, specifically through the Irish, have applied a massive influence on modern Christian rituals and magic (ask a Christian about the magic in the ceremonies and watch them cringe or just wringle up in confusion :p), not to mention a healthy dose from Norse and Grecoroman (duh) influence.

Comparative religion is fun, but only if done correctly. There is sometimes too much of a tendency for "comparative" to be translated as "mine is better" on all sides of the, erm, coin with many more sides then it should have, um, thing.

12. Athleng Nordic

LMAO!!!

I agree, I love the various views of the world. Most pagan beliefs are simular enough to almost the same. Kind of like the various christian views, the same but somehow different. :confused:

I was raised catholic and was confirmed under St. Joan of Arc since she was the only warrior presented as "Acceptable" by the parish I was involved with.

I've never begrudged anyone thier beliefs until they attack mine. Then it's game on! :yeleyes:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  13. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Okay, I see that as a challenge and I'd like some applause too :D I'm a flaming PAGAN!!

I come from a pretty mixed background which have influenced me. My pagan friends categorise me as a polytheistic Dianic pagan. Not wiccan though!

14. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't mean to intrude upon your guys thread or anything, but what is a good website that does the paganism justice. And once I read over it is it ok if I ask questions on it to see your justification for the belief behind paganism in this thread, or should I start another thread for that?

15. Athleng Nordic

Why do we have to justify our beliefs? More important why should we justify them to you? If you want to ask questions please do so if your intent is to understand. If your intent is to poke at and start something then go away.

16. Athleng Nordic

Hey you came out of the cloest. Good on you girl!!! :)

*Nordic Applaudes Lily's courage*

17. Lily

Lily Valued Member

LOL Nordic, thank you! :Angel:

Sparkle, we're friends :) I don't have any links to good websites at the moment but I'm sure a google search will give you PLENTY to read up on. There are many, many different groups that come under the Pagan umbrella.

I don't mind questions but you may not like the answers (as in, I may not answer them to your satisfaction but that would be because my view and methods of explaining are different from yours). What is sufficient explanation/justification is different for most people. :)

18. Ero-Sennin

Obviously I came across as a little snot to you. You don't have to justify anything to me, nor do I feel you need to unless you are going to try to tell me why your way is the best. My post was in the assumption that people are willing to justify what they believe in and are more then willing to relate why they believe what they believe. It is the standard I hold to myself and my own religion, and I cannot say that I do not expect it out of others.

My intent I guess would really be to poke, but start something no. To further emphasize my own belief system, I believe it is only right for one to question heavily (poke) at his own beliefs as well as the beliefs of others. It is in essence the only way we learn. You can believe what you want to believe, and any statement I make would not be with a viscious intent towards your beliefs. I by no means wish to degrade you/other's beliefs.

There are other reasons for my current interest in this but I'm sure a few of those would offend you as they may differ from your own belief system so I will leave them out. But again, in no way am I going to start something, degrade people in any way, or try to disprove you and your beliefs unless I am asked why I see something as wrong. Believe what you will. My true intent is to learn, how I apply what I learn I hope to only be logical and reasoned and with no direct bias to you or anybody else.

I have to say it irks me a bit that you came out at me so harshly. It makes me feel that I am not allowed to question you unless I am going to willfully submit to anything you say. If your intent is to be that type of person when I am only trying to learn then I will have to stay away and find another source of information as that clashes very heavily with my own belief system which will result in "starting something."

19. Ero-Sennin

I did google it but there are a lot of different interpretations. I fear that it falls under the same catagory as Christianity or any other religion when you google it. You get everybody and his brother's opinion on how it should be and never get the general jist of it. I'm looking for the general jist of it all.

If I don't like your answers I'll ask questions to help make them clearer. I'm aware that the way people explain things are different, as many people fail to understand my way of explaining things until they ask me direct questions to get to the root meaning of what is being said. It's the way we are I guess : P. Thank you for your more kind reception of me Lily.

20. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Sparkle and Nordic, I know both of you well enough to know that neither would degrade the other's beliefs.

No one is pushing their beliefs or saying theirs is the only way in this thread

Lets keep it friendly :Angel: