1000 Kick Routine/1400 Kick Routine

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Buckeye Blue, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Buckeye Blue

Buckeye Blue Valued Member

The 1000/1400 kick training drill has been mentioned several times. Is there a specific drill that people use? My Dojang does not have a drill similar to the above. At home I have been doing a routine of 11 different kicks (front leg, back leg--repeat other leg), sets of ten each, then repeat. What I am looking for is either a standardized method used by people, or ideas on how to improve my own routine.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

dude i'm from ohio youngstown go buckeyes!!!!!!!!! a good rule of thumb is always have your dominant hand and leg forward because that's your closest weapon towards your OP. i just alternate my kicks and after time i've become more flexable and strong with both

3. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

First you do a set of standard kicks, meaning low stance and face level, ( front, side, round, hook, straight leg, inside, outside) as quickly as possible, while retaining your stance, and all proper foot/legs positions, both sides. (=140 kicks)

Second is all seven basic kicks(front, side, round, hook, inside, outside, straight leg) without putting your foot down between the kicks, so you do 10 kicks without touching, all kicks should be head high, or atleast chest high. do both sides(=140 kicks)

Thrid is double kicks without touching, the heigths should be belt and face high, this one you do 20 kicks without touching all seven basic kicks, both side(=280 kicks)

fourth is triple same as above but you add a knee high kick , and you do 30 kicks without touching, all kicks, both sides(=420 kicks)

fifth is spin side kick set, Do it like the first set, (=20 kicks)

total so far 1000 kicks

sixth is combo kicking, this gets tricky, just do like we've been doing; combine two kicks and do it like the second set.

Seventh is spin kicking, do same as set 1, Jump, head, belt, and knee/ankle level

Sets 1-5 should take you bout 45 minutes. with pratice. We've(KJN,YKJN,SBN Terry Heaps,PSBN David Aue,myself,and a couple others) got it down to 20 minutes
    good luck, and hope this helped, AND REMEMBER NEVER SNAP YOUR KNEE ON BENT LEGGED KICKS, AND NEVER DRAG YOUR HEEL ON TURNING KICKS

Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  4. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Edit on the above: On the combo kicking, you need 8 different combos, each leg, and that will equall 320 kicks, so if you add the 80 spin kicks, you have the grand total of 1400 kicks.

5. kiseki

kiseki beating shadows since '06

HOLY CRAP! I've got a long way to go.
    This is my favorite workout, and I rarely finish in under 70 minutes.

6. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

LOL You'll get there it took me 2yrs. to get it.It also helps if you have a partner doing it with you. act as "cheerleaders", or in my case a real cheerleader will do :D :D

And I've found out recently if you don't continue, it doesn't just snap back into where you were. I did it the other day, and took me 45 minutes. :bang: :bang:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  7. Buckeye Blue

Buckeye Blue Valued Member

Hwarang,

Many thanks for the information.

G-Bells, quite a game on Saturday. Looking forward to November 18.

8. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

hell yeah

9. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

I also wanted to say that the 1000/1400 kick routine is a BB thing, I'm not saying that underbelts shouldnt do it, KJN has his underbelts do upto set three. The routine is very hard at first, so plz don't get discouraged if it takes awhile.

10. ember

ember Valued Member

We did up to set 4 in some classes, and occasionally set 5. IIRC, it seems like the 4 sets usually took the class about 15-20 minutes.

On my own...so far, I'm more likely to do about 5 kicks each of set one, or maybe set 1 only.

11. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

IIRC, you only did 5 rep's per set, in the under BB classes.

12. ember

ember Valued Member

Totally depended on the instructor and the instance. When I'm working with white belts, I only have them do 5 kicks per leg, and I intersperse other activities in between the different kicks, so we do about half of set 1.

I think we may have done the full 10 kicks, 3 or 4 sets, in Intermediate class. I know we did in Advanced class (brown belt / black belt classes).

13. Bahng Uh Ki

Bahng Uh Ki Valued Member

What double kicks do you do in what order?

1. inside/outside
    2. front/back
    3. side/hook
    4. round/side
    5. front/side...

14. ember

ember Valued Member

I've also seen these two:
    round / hook
    side / round

and maybe hook / round

15. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Take out Front/Back, remember 7 basic kicks, um id say

1. straight/ inside
    2. inside/outside
    3. outside/straight
    4. front/round
    5. side/hook
    6. hook/round
    7. front/side
    8. front/hook

I believe these are the combos we do. Sorry i cant remember exactly, by the time we get to this set, ive gone into automatic mode and let my body just do w/e KJN says is next. Try to keep the straight/bent legged kicks together, dont do inside/side. I mean you can, but KJN doesn't. Maybe thats the next set. combining straight and bent legged kicks.