Creed

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by ladyhawk, Jul 13, 2002.

1. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

This topic came to mind after reading Thomas's reply to Discipline and Respect in Everyday Life... in which he shares his student creed. I would be interested in hearing some other creeds. Here's ours...

I believe that success is the result of intelligent effort and does not depend upon luck or cheating. I believe I will get out of life exactly what I put into it; therefore, I will
    conduct myself toward others as I would want them to act toward me. I will not slight my work no
    matter what I may see others doing. I will render the best service of which I am capable and I know
    that success is always the result of conscientious and efficient effort.

2. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

We go by the chung do kwon creed

We as members
    train our spirits and bodies
    according to a strict code.

We as members
    are united in mutual friendship.

We as members
    will comply with regulation
    and obey instructors.

We say these along with the Tenets of TKD

3. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

Here is our Adult Creed:

" I come to you with only KARATE, empty hands.
    I have no weapons but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles or my honor, should it be a matter of life or death, right or wrong; then here are my weapons, KARATE, my empty hands."

Here is the childrens creed"
    "I will develop myself in a positive manner and avoid anything that could reduce my mental growth or physical health.
    I will develop self discipline in order to bring out the best in myself and others.
    I will use common sense before self defense and never be abusive or offecnsive.
    This is a black belt school, we are dedicated we are motivated, we are on a quest to be the best, Aasah!"

In the adult creed the use of the words right or wrong leaves no margin for clemency, but to defend one's self. A matter of life or death means strict adherence to survival in protecting loved ones or self even if it means death to the adversary should no alternative be left. Principles must be upheld and protected because without them our very soul has no core or value. Honor motivates the martial artist to action because it gives them dignity. Empty hands (as well as other body weapons) are substituted in place of man made weapons to sustain honor. Discipline developed through training without weapons implants justice and descretion when applying the martial arts.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2002
  4. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

Thomas,
    We also recognize Master Ed Parker's Creed of karate. I guess I should have been more specific and mentioned the creed I posted was the Creed of Isshinryu Karate.

5. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

Ladyhawk,
    I am not surprised at all to hear that you recognize or even use Parker's Creed, many many Karate schools use our Creed. Ed Parker was known as the Father of American Karate for many reasons and this is just one of them. This is a good thread it is interested to hear the different creeds that arts have. I am also amazed that in this forum as in life the ripple of my life can touch others without me even knowing it!
    The older I get the more I hear other people talking about ideas that spurred from a conversation that someone had with me. That is quite humbling becauae I think that the greatest thing a teacher can do is to motivate a student to think for themself.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2002
  6. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

Thomas,
    Yes, Master Parker's karate creed is in our student handbook.

7. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hearing a class of martial artists chant a creed makes the hairs go up on the back of my neck. Just makes me think of cults & stuff.

<<< Shudder >>>

"Power is the path to joy" [:D]

9. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

For some reason I can never remember the pledge except in class. The tenets are easy though.

Courtesy
    Integrity
    Perseverence
    Self-control
    Indomitable spirit

10. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I agree with Yoda In Tai Jitsu we have a dojo etiquette that everyone learns and abides to if they wanna train. Thats it, no chanting, if you break it your hammered, if its a serious infringement then you get kick out.

Thanx

11. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

We don't chant anything in class but all the creeds, codes, history, etc. is required learning.
    Sometimes at the end of class when everyone is lined up ready to rei out you will be asked a question appropriate to your particular level.
    Get it wrong and you go down for pushups.

12. Tseek Choi

Tseek Choi Banned Banned

Chazz,
    Do you all have to recite the creed and the tenents of TKD at the start of each lesson?
    If you do, how do you feel about doing it?

Colin..............................

13. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

TC
    In the class that i take/took we did the creed at the end of each class.

The one I teach we do the Tenets and the start and the creed at the end.

Why do you ask?

The creed i feel as if the students lesten to the works it helps bring us all together.
    The tenets i hope helps us learn a better was to live. Such as the boy scouts tenest and oath.

14. Tseek Choi

Tseek Choi Banned Banned

Hi Chazz,
    thanks for the info.
    I ask because as i've been involved mainly in Chinese arts, I've never come across any chanting/reciting in any lesson.

In my class all the students kinlai (bow to partner) and to the instructor at the beginning & end of each class, but thats it.

I was wondering how new students, or even perspective students feel about having to recite a creed.
    Wih all due respect it seems abit unnecessary, and appears a wee bit "cultish" as stated elsewhere.

Anyway I was wondering way you actually do it.
    Is it mainly a traditional Koren thing? or is it a creation of the late General Choi?

cheers
    Colin..............

15. stump

stump Supersub

Hi all,

i can't see a pledge going down very well here in Europe, maybe it's more acceptable in the US?

I trained with two TKD schools in the UK and Ireland, neither of which emphasized the 5 tenets much. They were there but not overtly referred to.

16. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

?

We've got a good drinking one!

But seriously we don't. I'm in the same boat as Colin here, i've been involved mainly in Chinese arts where they don't seem to do that. And I must say I'm glad, it seems a bit cultish and unnecessary to me as well. We have something of the like in our club books, but its never recited.

Maybe its time to make out own traditions.........

17. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

pgm316,
    Funny! Let me ask you a question being envolved in Chinese arts in all, how does your respectful bow go to your instructor or practice partner.
    Many times in Chinese arts the "vocal" portion of your practice is not emphasized but the "physical"part is definately there.
    The Chinese have atradition as much as the Japanese do and if there is no tradition or respect shown what kind os discipline does the "group" have?
    As far as "cultish" beleives, you are either weak or string, you belong where you want to belong and if it not for you, youo know where the door is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    Yours in Kenpo

18. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I'm just against tradition for traditions sake. Its possible to train in the classical way without all the tradition and without loosing any essence of the art.

We still bow to one another, an important part of showing respect. But many of the chinese terms are now in English, with only the basic names still in chinese. I prefer it to pretending we're still training in ancient China or Japan.

However we still go into much more depth than other so called traditionalists, but only if there is a martial benefit. Many things we've scrapped or updated because there just not effective for modern day combat.

19. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

Shudder?

How could a class of children saying all:
    "I will develop myself in a positive manner and avoid anything that could reduce my mental growth or physical health", make you think of cults?
    I think creeds are useful it depends upon how they are used. I do agree that some groups can become cultish, I guess that you could consider Ed Parker's people to be a bit cultish, but dedication, conviction and confidence are sometimes misunderstood by the bystander.
    If you take a closer look at these creeds they invoke a sense of belief and reinforcement that may be necessary in a beginners life and a way of directing the focus of the group towards effeciency in training.
    Just a thought, nothing meant by it.

20. KarateMom

KarateMom New Member

We don't chant either.

Here's our adult Creed:
    As a student of the martial arts, I am dedicated and motivated to become the best that I can be.
    I will develop self-discipline and only use what I learn in class in a positive manner.
    I will set goals and strive to develop myself both mentally and physically.
    I will maintain a winning attitude, both in the Martial Arts and all aspects of life.