Why are you in kuk sool

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by hwarang cl, Oct 10, 2006.

?

Why are you in Kuksool

1. Fitness

54.8%
  2. self defense

42.9%
  3. to relieve stress

42.9%
  4. weapons training

31.0%
  5. learn how to "fight"

11.9%
  6. its just fun

61.9%
  7. other ( please state)

26.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Why did you start Kuk sool?
    Why do you continue to train?

2. ember

ember Valued Member

Started Kuk Sool to cope with things.

Continue to train because it is fun.

3. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Valued Member

Started for fitness. Continue because it's fun and challenging.

4. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

I guess I should answer my own question huh?

I originally started because I was having trouble with a bully in 1st grade, I continued because it was fun. Having grown up since then, those who know me please don't fall out of your chairs laughing LOL :D , I really like my "new" teachers and I continue because I would like to help Kuksool expand, and somehow give something back to Kuksool. I can't wait to learn all those really cool forms, Un hak hyung(crane on a cloud), the rest of SBCH, as well as many other things. I feel that Kuksool has helped me to "balance my Ki", as KJN put it; as well given me the clarity of mind to accomplish anything goal that I set for myself. Plus I really like meeting all the interesting people who are in KSW.

5. RaccoonWrangler

RaccoonWrangler Valued Member

Other: General self-improvement in every area of life...

I have always been most interested in training body, mind, and spirit; or as Kuk Sa Nim says at seminar: strong body, smart brain, good heart.

So, I guess I'm in it for everything: self-defense, confidence, health, balance (phys and mental), speed (again, phys and mental), discipline, self-respect, respect for others, humility...

I want it all... :D

6. Bahng Uh Ki

Bahng Uh Ki Valued Member

Besides all the above, the people keep me coming back.

Sometimes, that Rabbit Hole you've fallen in is the perfect place for an entertaining and unexpected adventure.

I notice "It's just a job" isn't listed among the choices. :)

7. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

When I started Kuk Sool I didn't know it was Kuk Sool. It was just some really different stuff my MDK teacher made me and one of my classmates do.
    we were 1st dans at the time and had been through some good traditional training, and we were dazzled at the "new " stuff we were learning.

It was the skills and the no-nonsense way it was presented and the man teaching it. At that time I didn't know or care anything about the WKSA reputation or its membership. For me KS was a real challenge my thought was" if it's this tough at white belt, Imagine how good the Black Belts are"

now I know it was that tough because of the teacher not the art. I loved it!!

8. mijorobert

mijorobert Valued Member

at first i always wanted to do martial arts and so i picked kuk sool.My uncle(who paid till i got my blackbelt)told me you cant quit till you get ur blackbelt and at first i really didnt wanna go that much but after like half a year of going i learned to love it and this much im paying my 2nd degree testing so in a year ill get promoted :D ksw has changed alot about me and i wouldnt be the way i am today without it

9. lachupacabra

lachupacabra New Member

i wanted to kick ****; then i realized the only **** getting kicked is my own. Loads of push-ups, strains, bruises, stinkiness, the usual. Oh & KSW feet! you know the skinned, after blister kind! Love it though. wouldn't change a thing.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  10. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

well i don't know what i've been doing for the last 10 years but apparently there is no such thing as kuk sool! :rolleyes:

11. fightinchance

fightinchance New Member

What? There's no such thing as Kuk sool! I don't even know where to go with that??? I'll just sit an cry on my wee pillow.

12. CJ

CJ Killer of all the B.S.

I think I was looking for some thing different but yet the same. Being a former member of WHRDA. I just wanted a change if you will. I like the hyungs that are in the art and in some ways they are the same. But the way they go about things is a bit different than HRD.

Plus I have always respected the Harmon's, and thought that like a lot of you.
    They are cool and would like to model my self to be some what like them.
    Not exactly like them but some thing like them.

Why do I continue
    1.) Because I can
    2.) In the words of Master Harmon, I train to know myself.

13. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Not to be confrontational, but I'm guessing the 'C' in CJ must stand for 'contradictory.'
    I also noticed a contradiction in your listed location. So if you live in Wisconsin (the state squeezed in between Michigan & Minnesota), or unless you live in Ironwood, MI and have a job in Duluth, MN (according to MapQuest, Estimated Time: 2 hours 20 minutes -- Estimated Distance: 108.17 miles) which as far as I can tell are the nearest two cities in the respective states close enough to pull off a daily commute (but still seems unlikely since it would mean a total of 5 hours on the road every day), I don't fully understand why you put that in your MAP profile.

You also have quite a bit of 'catching up' to do if you want to be sorta like the Harmons (but not quite) as you are already 30 years old and apparently just now switching MA affiliations.

And maybe I'm being too overbearing, but if I were you, I'd either delete the image linked in your signature file (Paul Romer Productions) or use the updated image provided by MAP.

[​IMG]

If this is no longer a valid representation of your current rank, you can easily find the correct one HERE.

Good Luck with your 'success' in MA! :cool:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  14. CJ

Well since people want to call me out(its ok)
    I have moved to mn and will be training with PSBN KELLOGG.
    I also have had friends that when I was in WHRDA that were in KSW and we would share things. Though that is a no no for HRD people to do that.
    And so I have givin up my assocation with WHRDA to train with KSW.
    As far as the WI thing goes life happens as we all know, I thought I was moving there. But that did not pan out that. And I forgot to change it, it happens.
    I know I will never be like the harmons, no one will no matter how much you train. And thats cool but you can learn from them and try to be the best that you can be.
    As far as switching martial arts, any one can do it. I am just picking an art that I think fits me better. There is nothing wrong with that.

And to answer your question as to why I put ksw as my art. Well why not, I am going to train in it. I am proud to be apart of a cool family. Plus I have made a hard choice that my girlfriend believes is the right one for me. I plan on teaching KSW.
    When I am ready that is and leaving my computer training behind.

Now that we got off topic.
    I hope we can get back on read why more people have joined this cool art.
    just sayin.
    Plus the white belt thing (yes I am barrowing it, and if he likes I will take it off)
    But I put it on there as way of reminding not only myself but you all. That no matter the rank you should always look at what ever art you are in as a white belt. Meaning that you know that you know nothing. And that your eyes are wide open to what ever there is to learn. Not closed by thinking you know every thing already.

I hope to always think of myself as a student first(always). Teacher (maybe some day if I am lucky)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  15. CJ

oh and the crack about the the c is part of my real name.
    Next time ask. thank you

16. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I joined because my mom found a deal on a summer coarse offered through the local junior college. I had no idea what I was getting in to.

I stick around because the more I learn the more I like Kuk Sool.

17. WixSaNym

WixSaNym New Member

Beside being labeled an Orientaphile and general martial arts enthusiast. I love practicing a Art that introduces to me the vast and broad spectrum of asian martials, specially Korean.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008