MAP Snowboarding

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Aegis, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Just been talking to Rhea on MSN, and it turns out that both of us quite like snowboarding.

This prompted me to think that a MAP trip to Xscape for a snowboarding day out, followed by a meal might be a good call. Since I'm proposing this, I'm also going to state that I mean the Milton Keynes slope because it's easier for me to get to!

If anyone's interested in going along, either for a lesson or just for some slope time, then post here. If enough people are interested we might even be able to get a group discount!

I guess we could allow skiers along too, but only if you promise to be good!

2. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

What about surfers? :D

3. Aegis

Not sure how well it transfers, but hey, you can come along too :D

4. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

Never been on a snowboard in my life...
    So, providing they'll let me on the slope, I'm in!

Judging on my skate boarding abilities that should be a laugh... :D :eek: :cool:

5. Aegis

Well, they have lessons, so if I know in advance who needs lessons and who is going to terrorise the general slope population with me, I can see what I can do to accommodate everyone, assuming this is a plan people don't mind me looking into seriously!

6. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Baaah,snowboarders and their fashionable outdoor attire. :p

7. Aegis

For the couple of people who've asked me so far, I'd probably be looking for about a month's time, so early November or thereabouts. Probably go for a saturday early afternoon slot to beat the evening rush. Obviously for a group I'd need to book, and lessons will already be filling up for the pre-Christmas season learners, so if you want to come along, let me know ASAP.

8. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Damn ... I'm an avid snowboarder !

Too bad you all an't come over to board in Vermont. Unfortunately I have to wait a couple months for the snow !

9. Aegis

Maybe one day I'll make it over for a trip...

I'll have to get a bit better first!

Did I mention that anyone coming along WILL see me fall over and make a fool of myself on numerous occasions? Picture taking will be encouraged for the gallery :D

10. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

...are neon all in ones optional???

11. Mixitup

Mixitup Banned Banned

Are kids allowed? My babys year 8 ski trip is in February

12. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

NO! Because children are often far too good at skiing/boarding!
    I accidentally knocked a small child over next to a ski lift in Norway!!!
    It didnt cry.... :eek:

13. Mixitup

Mixitup Banned Banned

He's only been twice before, it's fighting that you don't want to do with him.

14. Emil

Emil Valued Member

If I can afford it, then I would very much like to. Never been before.

15. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

All heart :p

16. Mixitup

Mixitup Banned Banned

If we go we're only in Flint, could pick you up on the way

17. Aegis

I've got no personal objection to people bringing along a kid, a friend, family, random strangers they met on the way, etc. As long as I know who I need to get tickets for in advance, I'm happy. Others can turn up on the day, but if the slope happens to be really busy they may not get in.

At this point I should probably lay the ground rules for what I will and won't arrange!

Will:

• Recreational skiers/boarders*
    • Individuals or groups of beginner-level people who want a lesson at the same time as the recreational (this I will arrange if I can, I'll let people know what options there are by e-mail when this gets off the ground)
    • The meal afterwards for anyone attending and any others who want to come along. I will try to book something in advance so that we're guaranteed enough seats, so extras may or may not be able to join in

Won't:

• Arrange lessons for people with previous experience, as I'm not good enough to guess ability levels and don't want to disappoint if I get it wrong!
    • Transport... goes without saying that I'm not going to individually arrange transport, but I will offer lifts in my car if enough people can go from London so that we all save on the train fares.

Hope this clears it up a bit!

* note that the MK Xscape policy for being allowed on the slopes without lessons is that you can link your turns, control your speed and use a drag lift. This applies to both skiers and boarders

18. Aegis

By the way, if the idea takes off, I will probably need people to cough up some money in advance. I'm a nice guy, but I'm not quite nice enough to arrange all this at my own financial risk...

If that's a problem with anyone for any reason (either not trusting me, understandable, or unable to pay by the event, then I won't be able to advance book for you, but you should still be able to get slope passes if you get there early enough and the meal after shouldn't be a problem at all.

19. Mixitup

Mixitup Banned Banned

Do you have a Paypal account? might make it easier

20. Aegis

I do, yes. Will have to work out how to do anything other than spend money with it, but it shouldn't take me too long to do. I'll make a couple of calls tomorrow and find out what we need for discounted rates and get back here with an estimate of price, a confirmed date we'll try this on, and a request for people who are definitely interested to PM me so I can keep track of this a bit better!

If it works out well, I'll be more than happy to arrange more "MAP Social Club" trips :D