32 inch hand axe Vs 6ft spear

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Thelistmaker, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Thelistmaker

Thelistmaker bats!

32 inch hand axe Vs 6ft spear

I would really love some tips on how to get inside the range of someone with beginner to moderate skill with a 6ft spear, by using a hand axe.

could anyone help?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
  2. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Point over shoulder

"Look! It's Kiera Nightly! Naked!"

:D

3. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

LOL .. You cardboard tubed nutter ! :p

The key to dealing with a weapon which is vastly longer than one's own is management of fighting distance.

The spearman has distance as his advantage and, to be in with a chance you must close within the first half of the spear (past the bladed section) for you to safely reach the person however; you should be aware that as you close distance, the quickest way to counter that is for the spearman to step back and or slightly diagonally rotating the spear length ways 180 degrees thus bringing the butt-end forward to block/parry or strike at you.

Have a look at this video, about half way through you'll see sword vs. naginata. watch how quickly it can be used and how hard it is to close distance on it

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYjFpb1G4D4"]YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
  4. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Probably your best bet. ;) It might work on me, anyway. Perhaps pairing your axe with a shield (note that I know bugger all about shield use) might help as well. The reach advantage of a spear is huge, and a lot of spears are capable of cutting as well as thrusting. When going against a spear with a longsword, I'd go into half-sword (the off hand on the blade, thumbs facing each other) in order to gain a bit of leverage and try to contact the shaft of the spear, knock it aside, and work from there.

Hope that helps a little,

-Mark

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

The spearman's advantage only lasts while the point of his spear is between you and him. So, brass tacks, you've got two options. Move yourself or move the point of his spear. Smart bet is on doing both simultaneously actually.

In the FMA, our footwork is triangular. The practical upshot of that is that when we close with an opponent, we're trying to come forward and step to the side at the same time. So we approach on a 45-degree angle. With axe versus spear, that'd mean that you side step the point of the spear and simultaneously close distance so that you're at axe range and inside the point of his spear.

That'd be easier to do if you knocked (or perhaps hooked) the point of his spear away with your axe before you closed distance.

Now, while he's on guard, he'll probably anticipate that and back up so that he keeps his preferred distance. So my guess is that you'll have the most luck if you wait for him to thrust with the spear. You parry it out of the way with an authoritative axe hit (and by "authoritative", I mean don't just "guide" it, but whack it!). Then close distance. Ideally, he'll still be moving forward and straight into your counter attack.

Stuart

6. HwaRang

HwaRang Just don't call me flower

Would this 32 inch hand axe work well as a throwing axe?
    If so then problem solved... as long as you don't miss.

7. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

We do this in German Longsword as well. :)

-Mark

8. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

I agree with Dave (Humm). of course ,this is all hypothetical, but the relative skills of the combatants is the key. If skill levels are eqaul, my money is on the holder of the longer weapon, which can be shortened as required by sliding through the hands.. Sadly, the shorter weapon cannot be lengthened as required. :)

9. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Spears can be thrown too, and they're more accurate. I'd recommend being behind the person with the spear.

10. Origami Itto

Origami Itto Walking Paths

You are thinking javelins ;). I am guessing a spear is longer, heavier, and generally not good as a throwing weapon, although you could try. Same with an axe that is not actually a throwing axe.

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Fight him in a thick forest.

Mitch

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Not at all surprised. I think there's quite a bit of crossover between FMA and Western swordsmanship. :)

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Not mine. I'd put my money on the maneuverability of the shorter weapon. Now, against a sea of long spears (as in battlefield tactics) that's a different story. But one on one, in my sparring experience, the shorter weapon is my favourite.

14. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

This is just as the sword vs. spear?-thread(s)

The spearman have the advantage, since he knows what the *insert short weapon here*-wielder can do (run away, stand and try to parry until he's dead, or try to close the distance).

In northern european reenactment-fighting (not an authentic combat style; rather a sparring-system), we tackle spears (and other polearms) by doing the "spearhunt" (Wait for the spearman to come with an all out thrust towards you, deflect and jump in to do grappeling/halfswording(halfaxing), and pray that the spearman haven't tricked you :p

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm not sure I see the advantage there. Surely the axe guy knows what the spear guy can do too. Right? He can keep axe guy at a distance with the point or he can let axe guy get past the point and then start using both ends of the spear like a quarterstaff. Or, obviously, he can back up and try to reestablish range.

Seems to me that axe guy has viable options for all of those circumstances. Actually, you and I described essentially the same strategy. Wait for spear guy to attack, parry it off, and close distance.

Stuart

16. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

If the spear guy is smart he stays at full length of the shaft and uses quick pokes out and back until is opponent is wounded, never committing enough for the ax wielder to go in. In Chinese arts many prefer the flexible wood for spears so they can snap the tip causing it to bounce. This makes it very hard to tell exactly where the strike is going. Blocking or avoiding several of these in rapid succession is extremely difficult. I don't know if an ax is a weapon I would even think about taking on a good spear man with.

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm not sure I'd opt for the axe either, truthfully. Perhaps a relatively light hand axe. I'd be looking for maneuverability. Something that can move around the space I've got left after (hopefully) getting past the opponent's spear.

Espada y daga maybe. Some combination of long and short weapon. Long (read machete length thereabouts) to parry off the spear and create an opening and short (dagger) to take advantage once there.

All of this, of course, is making me really bemoan the fact that the teacher at my current arnis club has cancelled tomorrow's practice.

Stuart

18. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Keep in mind that you're only past the point, not the spear itself, which is essentially the same weapon as staff. I'm certain you know that, but others reading the thread may not, so I thought I'd mention it. :) As you close, he can whack you with the butt of the spear as well. Against a spear, I'd pick a zweihander if I had to use a non pole-arm type of thing.

Best regards,

-Mark

19. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Third post in this thread

20. Thelistmaker

Thelistmaker bats!

Thankyou everyone for your advice. It’s a very interesting thread. :)

I have some experience using a spear myself, mainly against other pole arms, but also against other classics of western warfare. Which I’m hoping will help me anticipate some of the opposing spearman’s movment.

My favorite thing to do against a one handed weapon with a spear is fain a thrust to the face and then attack the legs.

I still love my spear, but I wanted to expand a little and I’ve always thought the axe was an interesting weapon.

Now I’m thinking about saving up for a shield to go with it.

Only one question remains… what shape of shield should I get? :p :confused:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2006