books?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Palladium, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Palladium

Palladium New Member

i am interested in the history of ninpo/ninjutsu. i would like to find a book or books that explain the history in great detail while leaving out the misinformation and bs. any pointers would be greatly appreciated. many thanks.

2. paolo_italy

paolo_italy Valued Member

Hi,
    Besides Japanese sources (that I don't know in depth), why don't you try with Kacem Zoughari's "Ninpo" (in French, soon in English) or Stephen Turnbull's "Ninja"...?
    HTH,

Paolo

3. Kikaku

Kikaku Gakorai Tosha Akuma Fudo

I hate to be Captain obvious, but Ninjutsu "History and tradition" by Soke Hatsumi, would be a better bet ;) You may also want to read Way of the Ninja "Secret techniques" which is also written by Soke Hatsumi.

4. Shau

Shau kurai okami

I like anything by Hatsumi, Tanemura, or (dare I say) some earlier stuff from Stephen Hayes. But a book I really like is "Mind of the Ninja" by Kirkland Peterson because it tears apart the hollywood ninja from the real ninja. It's an older book and probably hard to find, but well worth it.

5. Levi

Levi New Member

Ebay has a few.

6. DuncanM

DuncanM Valued Member

I would first recommend getting a good overview of the general history of Japan before focusing in on a rather obscure and historically minor element such as the ninja. I’m sure you can find a few books in your local library or bookstore that deal with this.

I liked Stephen Turnbull’s book too. He goes into quite good detail about the two known elements of ninja history – Iga no Ran and the involvement in the Shimbara rebellion. My problem with the book is that I think he overdoes the subject in other areas trying to relate any “fifth column” type activity to ninjutsu. I tend to think this is about filling the book when there is not really much recorded to go on. Still the sections on the two incidents’ I mentioned above make the book worth getting – Shiraishi-sensei stole my copy …

If Kacem Zoughari has put out a book then that would also be of great interest.

“Ninjutsu – History and Tradition” is interesting in that it shows ninjutsu tactics, training and equipment but I don’t think covers much in regards to history (which is what I assume you are looking for).

“The Way of the Ninja” is much better in this regard and gives a better look – but again not really what I would call a historical textbook as it is dealing more with the training of ninjutsu.

I can’t agree with the recommendation of “Mind of the Ninja” which doesn’t specifically deal with history and seems more to do with draping western psychology over American ‘80’s ninja pop culture theories.

Again, a good general knowledge of Japanese history with a discerning and critical mind is the best tool to start researching the actual history of ninjutsu.

7. heretic888

heretic888 Valued Member

As the OP expressed a desire to avoid "the misinformation and bs", then I would not recommend any of Mr. Hayes' books in regards to the subject of ninjutsu history.

Laterz.

8. heretic888

heretic888 Valued Member

Well said, Duncan. :)

9. maf

maf Valued Member

have a read of Essence of ninjutsu (the nine traditions) by soke Hatsumi, it has a lot of interesting stories and info.

10. Rochambo83

Rochambo83 Martial Artist

Here's some ninjutsu books...

<link removed - it has no relevance to the OP's request>

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2006
  11. PeterG

PeterG Valued Member

they're such barbarians!

12. xen

xen insanity by design

do we need that link on this thread?

unless someone posts a compelling reason to keep it i'll delete it sometime tomorrow, i don't really think its neccesary.

(i'm leaving it for now 'cos people might want to remind themselves what little people like to do to make themselves feel big and clever :rolleyes: )

edit:

deleted.

Rochambo83, you can PM me if you need me to spell out why.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  13. Virus909

Virus909 Valued Member

If you're after books I think this guy has some, or had some...

<link removed - it has no relevance to the OP's request>

<Virus please see post 12>

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2006
  14. koto_ryu

koto_ryu Common sense is uncommon

Then they shouldn't be recommending "Ninjutsu - History and Traditions" then considering SKH has a hand in that one. Stephen Turnbull is one of the better recommendations IMO.

15. heretic888

heretic888 Valued Member

Agreed. ;)

16. Bujinkan83

Bujinkan83 Valued Member

Here, here. quite an interesting book, Hatsumi Soke delves into the history on this one not only that but its compiled with some really interesting techniques, i quite like the chapter where Hatsumi Soke talks about Ninpo and magic tricks.

17. Palladium

Palladium New Member

thanks gents for the info and suggestions, i will look into obtaining a copy of "essence of ninjutsu".

18. heretic888

heretic888 Valued Member

While it doesn't mention the "ninja" by name, I would highly recommend Pierre Francis Souryi's The World Turned Upside Down: Medieval Japanese Society.

In one chapter about halfway through the book, the author goes into detail about the various village alliances (ikki) that formed during Japan's Sengoku period, the most famous being the Oyamato ikki and the Ikko-ikki. Near the end of the chapter, he describes the historical and sociopolitical environment of the "Iga Commune" (Iga Sokoku Ikki) in a detail that I have yet to find in any other source in English. He even includes excerpts from the twelve-charter constitution that the Iga Commune ratified in 1560!!

Most books that describe the history of the "ninja" tend to focus on their military accomplishments and, as a result, tend to have this almost theatrical or dramatic feel to them. Souryi's book, by contrast, actually details the sociological background of the individuals in question.

I would also recommend Turnbull's The Lone Samurai and the Martial Arts. His chapter on ninjutsu is pretty good.

Laterz.