striking & kicking in brazilian jiujitsu?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by crazyqban, Jul 20, 2006.

1. crazyqban

crazyqban New Member

i've been practicing shuai jiao for about 8 months{yellow belt},although we focus mainly on throws we do ground work from time to time.any ways their are two brazilian jiujitsu guys in our class that are just amazing in the ground.after seeing what they can do i've decided to cross train with bjj. My question to you bjj guys ,is their any punching and kicking in the bjj curiculum.

2. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

I dont really study BJJ, but we do basically the same stuff in our grappling class and my buddy does BJJ.

I've never heard of being taught how to punch and kick in BJJ class.

3. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

no. it's a very specialized system, very ground-oriented. i think helio gracie originally had a more well-rounded approach in mind, but the fact that it's so specialized now makes it a very effective option for anyone who needs to improve their ground game. of course, for that same reason, i don't think it's a good idea to train bjj exclusively.

4. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

Not really. There's an occasional knee or elbow used in the self-defense aspect of BJJ, but don't expect to learn any kind of real striking technique.

BTW, Shuai Jiao and BJJ sounds like a great combination. Shuai Jiao is pretty much all stand-up grappling, and BJJ is pretty much all ground. Also, both tend to mix clothing and non-clothing grips from what I've seen.