Favorite / best KSW weapon?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by ember, Jul 3, 2006.

1. ember

ember Valued Member

Inspired by a thread in the Weapons section, I thought I'd ask:

What's your favorite weapon in the Kuk Sool Won curriculum (jool bong included)?

And which one do you consider yourself best at?

For me, favorite is bow, but so far my best is probably staff (which makes sense for my rank).

2. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

I reserve the right to mock anyone who says "the fan". All in good fun, of course.

Especially you, KSWolf.

3. Out-to-Lunch

Out-to-Lunch Valued Member

Well I love the fan LOL (Go ahead, its nothing new mad monk LOL) I have used it mostly on the Japanese side of things in the form of Senbu, but I think it is a very interesting weapon...Korean sword is a favorite too...
    --josh

4. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

sword, all forms, long short or double, as long as it's got a blade

5. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

The best weapon is the one that you are holding. The worst is the one your opponet holds........lol

6. Silentmonk

Silentmonk The Blue Donkster!!

My hands. Take them everywhere and not be arrested. And they double up in normal life for various uses too. Except when a classmate decides to break your finger when you hold a board for her in a demo grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    :D

7. JSun

JSun Valued Member

my bare hands :woo:

8. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Favorite: cane, because I'd just like to try to see my government ban those. ;) But since I'm nowhere near that point in the curriculum, a weapon I actually do and love is dan bong.

Best at: dan bong.

9. ember

ember Valued Member

Agreed, but that wasn't the question. Which weapon have you practiced working with the most / do you feel like you are the most coordinated at?

10. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

3 inch pocket knife, I guess it's called dan gum/ dan do , but not the mini swords like the hyung. it has tons of skills from ksw that it can be applied with. perhaps the most dangerous weapon that you can't see. Except, of course my sniper friends about 400m away. But you'll never see them in class, either.

11. beky_boo8

beky_boo8 Valued Member

my favourite would have to be staff because you can turn anything into one. I would say i am best at jool bong though

12. ember

ember Valued Member

I got a sudden picture of Mak Chi Gi / Mak Cha Gi with a knife. Brrrrr....

They built the Purdue bell tower while I was on campus. One of my friends kept WATCHING it, she was jumpy. But really, again, sniper incidents in the civilian U.S.A. are news because they are rare.

There's safety in being ordinary...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  13. turk944

turk944 Valued Member

I think my new favorite weapon is spear or dan bong because I just learned them a week and a half ago. Unfortunately the school owner and I here at Marquette both learned the same side, so there is no spear sparring in the near future. Although I am probably best at staff or jool bong just because I have been doing them so much longer than the rest, oh yea Took Gum is also really fun, just watch out for the ones that jump right back at you.

14. kiseki

kiseki beating shadows since '06

Pardon my squirrely ignorance, but isn't Maek Cha Ki pressure point kicking? are you holding the knife in your toes? (Which could understandably give someone the shivers for a different reason)

15. MadMonk108

Someone needs to familiarize themselves with the "Crying Freeman" manga...

16. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

I actually really can't say fan as my only experiences with it involve being on the receiving end of the techniques. I've got a number of years left before I can learn it. My favorite so far though is Guhm, though I'd say I'm probably best with Jung Bong.

17. kiseki

kiseki beating shadows since '06

Acording to anime news network, that is less than perfectly appropriate, why don't you tell me what you mean so I don't go crazy from curiosity?

18. MadMonk108

Lots of kicking people with a knife held between his toes.

Imagine throwing a spinning hook kick and slitting someone's throat.

19. ember

ember Valued Member

Maek Chi Ki and Maek Cha Ki cover a lot of principles.

From the technique execution perspective, you are correct that Maek Chi Ki is hand techniques and Maek Cha Ki is kicking techniques.

I was going from the target point perspective. I used those two technique sets as a shorthand for the ~20 or so pressure points that are targeted between the two sets. I was still picturing the knife in hand. The leg target points would more likely present themselves if the fight went to ground.

I'm not entirely certain that the Maek Chi Ki / Maek Cha Ki pressure points would be the best targets for a 3-inch knife, but they were quick examples that didn't require a whole lot of thinking about the techniques.

Ki Bohn Soo #12 might be a better example, but it is just one technique in a set, and most of Ki Bohn Soo does not strike me as well-suited to using with a knife.

Some of this thinking comes out of my Shotokan training. I certainly DO NOT advocate using that sort of techniques offensively. But I helped out with a self-defense workout that Sensei Martinez led one year. She emphasized that in a life-or-death situation, if you can't get away and have to fight, you can't stop fighting until the attacker is unconscious or dead. There's a level of sense to that way of thinking.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  20. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Fan is definitely my favorite at the moment. I guess because it has so many possibilities and is a truly difficult weapon to master.
    I am probably best at the sword just because of time in training.