What age to start?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by davethekodiak, Jun 23, 2006.

1. davethekodiak

davethekodiak Valued Member

At what age do you guys think kids should start Muay Thai?

2. Adsy

Adsy Valued Member

Start the earlier the better, becasue as soon as you get into your 30's it becomes a lot more difficult. Everything hurts more than it did 10 years ago.

3. Kishu

Kishu New Member

While you are old enough to drive yourself to class.

4. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

yeah same question goes for me, I want my little bro to learn it, but he is only 7 months old and i have to wait until i can train him. I think im gonna train him myself as soon as he can talk n walk, but whens a good age to get him to a gym...we always see the little thai boys that are like 6 y/o...is that going to effect him later on?

5. MartialJac

MartialJac Banned Banned

I started Muay Thai at 8 after doing TKD for 3 years. The sooner kids start the better they will be - things will happen instinctivly for them. Omega 3's will help ward off physical damage and make them think more clearly (and behave better). I have always been treated and trained like a little adult so don't let them get away with stuff just because they are young and after every lesson run through what they have learnt just so they have understood what and why they where doing it.

6. dragonslayer

dragonslayer New Member

I think 6 is the ideal age cuz i have seen it in thailand and the kids seem to enjoy it.I wouldn't know though,the muay thai i know was self taught from a book.

7. Ophqui

Ophqui Valued Member

this young: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzjn-OQ9nw8"]Kiddie Muay Thai Sparring in Thailand - YouTube[/ame]

8. madmike

madmike ow that hurt not

not to young

if its a family thing like there dad trains in muay thia then as soon as they hit 5. but so people are to young to understand the benfits and become bored with the repativeness.

9. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

any age you can start.....but you must talor it for the age.....3 years is not the age to demand 5 rounds on the heavy bag...

always make it fun...for istance age two a few kicks ....focus on balace....lots of falling and much play and smiles.....

keep going they willlet you know how seroius to get

10. MartialJac

MartialJac Banned Banned

One thing my parents did for me was to attend every lesson until I was a B/B and anything I had missed or hadn't understood we praticed at home after the lesson. My Mum started Muay Thai because I kept scaring the other kids off, I still have to train with adults as other kids are not strong enough to hold pads for me (12)
    M/A is not a creche and the parents that send their children to any M/A and then go and do the shopping are the people responsible for the Mcdojo.
    M/A is tough for adults, Childen need a bit more support and watch us goooooooooo

11. JKD_Haduken

JKD_Haduken New Member

immediately after you come out of your mothers womb... or if you can, before.. just take it easy in there.

12. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

Personally, I don't think children under 13 should do martial arts.... maybe I've just been to one too many karate tournaments, but I get the distinct impression that little kids really don't have the capicity to actually learn anything in MA, and don't getter better over time with it until they get in middle school. Which is, of course, around when most of them quit.

13. pviddy

pviddy New Member

I slightly disagree with the last post.at our gym we take kids from six upwards.as long as you have patience, and you structure the class in a fun and exciting manner they can and will learn.i don’t know about you guys but there’s no better feeling than seeing a young student achieving something they could not previously get there head around.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  14. Xc.

Xc. New Member

Personally, i started training when i was 14 years old. I had a talk with one of the guys at the gym, (btw the gym i train at is Siam #1 Toronto, Canada) and he says that 14 is the best age to start, because you're physically ready to push yourself, and you are mature enough for it. (You won't think helping to stretch your partner is gay) If you're younger you might have an interest in muay thai but will immediately shy away from it if it becomes boring for you. This is true because i've noticed sometimes in the kid's classes, alota kids loose interest in the workout and start to poke around at the bags and etc. They also do their workouts half assed most likely because their parents sent to them to the gym, many of them do not have interest in muay thai, they'd rather be out playing marbles or...whatever they play.They also lack patience, and patience is what you need most when you're learning your stance and the proper walk. so yah hope that helps <3

15. hkj

hkj Valued Member

tbh i cannot belive some of the replies i've read here! Muay thai is a contact ma and if you start a child too early chances are you will harm the child in many ways.

16. Who?

Who? Banned Banned

As oppossed to football, rugby, cricket, cycling or just playing out?

In the UK kids Muay Thai is full contact but head shots are not allowed, many gyms insist on bodypads for children fighting.

My son has done Muay Thai for many years, has had several fights and has only once been injured, and that was just a big lump on his shin.

All things are proportionate, kids don't kick and punch as hard as adults so they don't take as much punishment as adults. As far as I know exercise is not bad for children.

My son also kayaks, 3 weeks ago he got stuck in a stopper and had to be rescued. Last week an adult died on the same stretch of river. Is it wrong to let him run that river again? I don't think so, We'll just be as careful as we always have with him in regards of supervision and good safety gear and he will be OK.

Life is full of dangers, we just have to be careful.

Incidently in kids M/A in the UK so called semi-contact TKD is far more dangerous than full contact Muay Thai.

17. hkj

hkj Valued Member

ive seen young thai / burmese children almost beat each other to death in MT fights...
    sure, as long as they have the correct protection and guidance they'll be fine. tkd more dangerous than mt? that suprises me... i did tkd when i was young...and there were very very few injuries, unless you twisted your own ankle :p

18. DragonSpawn

DragonSpawn Ronin

Exactly, I agree. But since from what I can tell Muay Thai doesn't require any actual technique or skill, other than randomly whaling on each other with the 8 limbs of doom, they can start whenever they want.

19. hkj

hkj Valued Member

muay thai might not involve any ballet, but then its designed to actually be an effective fighting art...

20. DragonSpawn

DragonSpawn Ronin

I'm talking about sport muay thai. The traditional one is probably alot more practical for real life. I don't have much respect for sport arts in general, because alot of them require gloves (thereby reducing hand technique to zero), use a point system or scoring (thereby losing the realism of the fight), and severly restrict targets on the body (losing even more realism).