Which styles of jujutsu for ground work?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Storms of War, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Storms of War

Storms of War Valued Member

Aside from BJJ, which styles of jujutsu focus heavily on ne- waza? I know that there are hundreds of jujutsu styles, but can anyone name a few which focus more on throws, takedowns and ground fighting than on striking? My main concern is ground fighting, but it doesn't hurt to be experienced in takedowns and takedown defense. Thank you!

2. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

The only other form that emphasises on newaza as much as BJJ would be Kosen Judo, but unfortunately, that's as rare as hen's teeth in the western hemisphere. Other than that, I'd recommend trying to search for a judojo that encourages the practice of a lot of osae-komi & newaza.

As a practicioner of classical Japanese jujutsu, I can tell you that the classical systems don't specifically emphasise on newaza that greatly. When I lived in Japan, I cross trained a lot in Judo and that was more than beneficial to learning, conditioning and fitness as well as a more rounded out training method. Even now in London, I still roll now and then with some BJJ practicioners when I have a free evening for fun.

3. Storms of War

:( Oh well. Thank you. There's a Kempo jujutsu place about 3 miles from my house. They said they work on takedowns and ground fighting every Monday night. I guess I'll pop in and see what they have to offer. I was hoping for something that would operate a little more often than that.

4. Kyouretsu

Kyouretsu New Member

because of the diversity of JJ styles... your best bet would be to check out what clubs are in your area, and go check them out. Go and watch a few classes or try a few out and see which club has what you are looking for.

5. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Great posts. As a question, is there a particular reason why you're not considering BJJ? Is it lack of access? Or are there other factors mitigating your decision.

- Matt

6. hapkidofighter

hapkidofighter Valued Member

i agree- if you want to learn a ground orientated style of jiujitsu- why wouldnt you want to do bjj?

7. Storms of War

Don't get me wrong. I'm dying to get into a BJJ academy. The thing is, the guys who run the places all know how popular the art is. As a result, they charge somewhere around $140 a month on average. Matt Serra has an academy about 4 blocks from my house. He charges $140 per month for two classes per week and $180 a month for unlimited classes. I know that the traditional jujutsu styles are much, much cheaper. The place that has Kempo jujutsu offers unlimited jujutsu classes and unlimited kickboxing classes for $80 per month. I'm already in a one year contract with a Muay Thai academy, so I'm not going anywhere for a while. I figured I'd find something cheap to cross train with.

Thanks guys!

8. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

If you can, take the kempo jujitsu and than when your contract runs out, go for the BJJ. You will probably be stronger for it.

9. Storms of War

There's an MMA academy not too far away. After my contract expires, that's where I'm headed. They have BJJ, Muay Thai and a class where they tie both together. I never realized how important that was until recently. It's one thing to cross train, but it's a whole different world when you want to use two or more styles at the same time. Glad I realized that now!

10. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

If you learn some groundfighting from kempo jujitsu, it will be better than nothing.

but seriously, take it from a guy who for years tried to do it 'my' way.... I trained in Judo and some sport jitsu, but when I went to my first real BJJ class I did'nt stand a chance for groundwork. There is literally a world of difference. For the same reason why I'd rather learn strikes from a Muay thai guy than a jujitsu club.