TKD tenets in Korean

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Ragnarok2005, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Our extension is nearly built and I'm getting a new bedroom. We're painting the walls a kinda cream colour and I've got a very good artist friend.

I was thinking of having the 5 Korean tenets [Courtesy, integrity, perseverance, self-control, indomitable spirit] painted on my walls in the Korean language. Where would I find an image of them?

Thanks in advance.

2. Yang Dae-han

Yang Dae-han Realising the 'edit'

예의 (禮儀)

염치 (廉恥)

인내 (忍耐)

극기 (克己)

백절불굴 (百折不屈)

Cut and paste into Word. Use Gungsuh font...

Cheers,

DH

3. Thankyou so much Yang. :D - I'll get my mess of attempt uploaded after I've done it!

4. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

5. exclamationmark

exclamationmark Toaster-core

Sorry If this is an obvious question, but what are the bits in brackets for? Are they part of how you write it?

6. DaveOHr

DaveOHr New Member

StuartA, where did you get that pic?

7. Yang Dae-han

Yang Dae-han Realising the 'edit'

The parentheses are the Sino-Korean characters for the pure Korean words to the left. One may use either...Sino-Korean, for me, is preferred for purposes of definition (in general).

For example, the third choice also means "body odour." Thus, the characters help define it (since there are no context clues). Such as if you saw the word(s): invalid or record. Noun or verb?

Cheers,

DH

8. StuartA

Com-do

9. DaveOHr

DaveOHr New Member

Com-do? Is there a URL?

10. StuartA

11. So.... I should use the righthand symbols? Because the ones on the left look easier to paint!

12. exclamationmark

exclamationmark Toaster-core

Thanks for clarifying! :)

13. [T][K][D]

[T][K][D] Valued Member

The one on the left is the "normal" korean writing. The ones on the right are "han -ja" which is traditional korean writing, derived from chinese characters. Its kinda like using latin and greek instead of normal english (but hanja is regularly used.)

14. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

Use the Hanja (the stuff in parentheses) to paint on your walls. They have actual meaning attached to them, while the Hangul are phonetic clusters. Since they are just sounds, they can have various meanings attached to them. Without the Hanja, a Korean reader would not be sure what you were referring to, as YDH noted with the body odor comment.

Try and find someone who can do Chinese calligraphy to get them painted on your wall.

15. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten