Transexual DOJO

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by RED BELT, May 19, 2006.

1. RED BELT

RED BELT Banned Banned

I have recently opened a DOJO in North London [Angel] which i have aimed for the use of Transvestites/Transexuals, Lesbias and Gay students,

I basically have opened this Gym so that people who are probably are afraid to walk down there streets for fear of being beaten up, can now have the oportunity to come to my Gym and learn self defense.

I have first hand experiance of this fear and i wanted to make a difference in the world, especially as i understand what these people go through, i am a current 3 rd dan Blackbelt in Taekwondo, as a former women [Miss T Evans] now Mr E Jacobs i feel i have a duty to do such a thing for the community.

I was just wondering of your feedback about this?

Also if you know any one that would like to join then feel free to let me know.

Thank u.

2. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

small market.. no?
    you gonna teach TKD & no kiddies???
    so it's TKD 4 adults... no straight men?
    business suicide if you ask me
    why not just teach everyone?
    why discriminate?

3. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

Why are you winking at everyone in the title of the thread?

4. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

Is there an issue with gay students going to regular martial arts classes? It's not something that anyone has ever mentioned on here. I'm not sure why people need to have seperate classes on the basis of their sexuality.

5. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

I wish I'd noticed that before I posted.

6. mikeruurds

mikeruurds New Member

Good luck to you.

I hope that you succeed in your goal to give people who might not feel comfortable training in a normal school an opportunity to train in a non-hostile environment.

You might struggle to fill your classes, but I'm sure word will get around soon enough.

Mike :D

7. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Its not advertsied very well - just tried to a Google search - nothing relevant was brought up.

8. philp

philp New Member

You realise that that's as discriminatory as me not allowing gay people in my dojo?

(no I don't have a dojo - just theoretically :))

Sadly I must admit, I do know a few people that would have a problem rolling or grappling with a gay guy (FYI, I wouldn't at all), so whilst I don't totally agree with the concept I see why you would attempt it.

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  9. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

I'm pretty surprised you didn't. I felt a little funny just looking at the title of the thread- I was sure it was some ridiculous video.

10. RED BELT

RED BELT Banned Banned

well in reply, i agrre i am well up for adults and children to join the class however, we often have funny stares from the parents. they dont normally apporove of a 6 foot man with make up on sparring with there 14 year old daughter.

That is y i have set this up, small market i agree but the only one. is proving very popular in the gay community.

11. mikeruurds

mikeruurds New Member

Targeted marketing isn't a crime. It's Red Belt's own perogative if he wants to limit his earning potential by having certain criteria prohibit certain people from becoming members at his Dojo.

It's quite possible that supportive family members or friends might want to join in as well... I'm sure that there wouldn't be an issue if they attempted to join.

The point is to create a non-theatening place that people who share common interests can meet and train. It's no different to ladies-ony gyms or golf clubs only allowing men to become members.

I'm a married heterosexual male and I don't see any problem with this type of club aside from the obvious difficulty in making the operation financially viable.

Mike

12. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

If this is a joke, well, you're an idiot and this will be closed soon enough.

If it's not a joke and this is a serious thread, good for you. I can certainly see the need for a place like this, but you better have a good rep with the local community to ensure it doesn't go under. Certainly "gay-friendly" martial arts studios serve a great niche, and there are even national associations for LGBT martial artists. Let's face it, the local gym may not exactly feel like a "gay friendly" place, and LGBTs shouldn't feel uncomfortable walking into a gym just because some people insist on making things uncomfortable for women or LGBTs. Of course, some LGBTs need to wake up and accept that their sexuality should not be made an issue by them everywhere they go. And yes, that's coming from one.

EDIT: Ok, between the wink in the title and this:

I'm having some doubts. This whole thing sounds like it's a bit stereotypical, but maybe it's just because Red Belt isn't coming across too well?

13. mikeruurds

mikeruurds New Member

I second that post. The last thing you want is for the local community to vandalise your premises or intimidate your class members when entering or leaving the club.

Ignorance and homophobia are not uncommon nowadays.

Mike

14. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I guess that’s a good thing to do.

However, my own view is that if you don’t want to be discriminated against don’t stand out in the crowd. Probably easier than living in fear or learning an MA.

As you probably know the majority of humans have a condition to be aggressive and fearful towards what is different from them . I would think in our modern society that could be classified as human nature, whether its innate or conditioned.

Its one thing to stand out naturally, i.e. the way you look naturally, skin color, hair color etc. But its different if you make yourself stand out and than expect people to treat you normally. In other words I think that if you want to be treated normally, you should also be perceived normally, otherwise your asking people to go against their condition. There are many tolerant people out there who don’t judge and accept people as they are. But likewise there many ignorant people. I would say prevention is better than a cure.

I reckon though, if you manage to market your biz to the right target, you should be able to carve out a nice niche for yourself. I doubt you have many competitors at the moment.

15. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Hmmmm.... my spider sense is warning me of danger... is this a bullshido person on a trolling mission? I only ask because your previous posts have been about using rolling pins to toughen your shins.

As GC said - if you're serious, good luck to ya. (I am curious about why transvestites need a special class for TKD - don't men, women, children and everybody else dress identically in TKD?)

16. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

I'm watching this thread moosey :)

17. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

To turn what could potentially be a farce into something constructive, I'll commment on this one, Moosey.

Many gay men, lesbians, and bisexuals do not "stand out". Most of us are normal people who just go about our daily business. Some of us have thicker skin than others, but that's the same for heteros. We don't necessarily need a "safe place" in terms of an MA gym, because we do have the ability to leave our sexuality at the doors.

However, transexuals are a different story all together. Many of them spend years dealing with their identities, and IF they have the cash to actually undergo gender reassignment surger, they have to spend years dealing with a licensed psychologist/psychiatrist before that can happen. If they don't have the cash, well, they just do what they need to do. Either way, they have to actually spent time living life as the gender they feel they are as opposed to the person they were born, physically speaking. In many cases, unfortunately, the person tends to stand out. Men and women undergoing this process tend to look like, well, men dressing and acting like women and women dressing and acting like men. It's kinda obvious in many cases, and that makes other people uncomfortable. Welcome to reality. *shrug*

18. Sankaku-jime

Sankaku-jime Banned Banned

i think its a fantastic idea london is certainly the place for it, is there not already a Gay Jujustu Club in london ?

19. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Interesting - I was thinking transvestites in terms of otherwise heterosexual men who are attracted to dressing in female clothing. I guess I hadn't thought of it in terms of mid-gender transsexuals who are actually trying to "live as" the opposite sex. I assumed that people in that category were usually classed as pre-op transsexuals or "transgender", whereas transvestitism is normally referred to as the paraphilia for clothing of the opposite gender. Live and learn.

PS. I wasn't trying to be obnoxious with that question - I was just curious since transevestitism is entirely tied up with clothing and all TKD uniforms are identical.

20. RED BELT

RED BELT Banned Banned

I am very happy this is getting a lot of attention. let me explain, i am doing this so transexuals can and homosecuals can do what they want with out worrying about be abused,

I will be honest with you though, i am making a lot of money from it as its the only one from what i know in the world at the moment so i am very happy about that.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2006