Yeah I have a question (RE: US MAP Meet)

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by KempoFist, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Yeah I have a question

Who was at that MAP Meet, and what the hell happened there? I mean what was that? At the very least who was teaching the bokken work? Where did you learn, and did your instructor ever teach you the proper way to hold the sword in Jodan position before slicing downward?

2. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Surely the names would be in the MAP NYC Meet thread? I've seen that t-shirt choke from under the mount and it was pretty disturbing. I really can't believe someone would teach that, and whoever it was, they need to know.

3. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

**grabs some popcorn and waits**

4. KempoFist

My thoughts precisely. I've been to plenty of meetups between schools in my area, and even guys I've met on Bullshido, and I don't consider these meetings the epitomy of expert martial arts training, but with all those people there, someone should have had enough common sense to say, "hey you don't know what the heck you're talking about." And what was with the guy teaching how to defend the rear choke by raising his arm and pushing the choking arm away with his opposing hand??? Did he honestly say he was going to break it with that?

I don't know...I was astounded after that one.

5. neb

neb Banned Banned

Whatever.

6. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

*settles in next to Kwaj*

Share?

7. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

First of all... you are posting in the wrong forum.

I am moving your thread over to GD and editing the title as well.

Now, ... let me see which one were you? Because I honestly don;t remember meeting you there.

You are looking at the pictures I presume?

Obviously between you and another poster who made caustic remarks regarding this meet have an ulterior motive. This other poster (btw who is in the Sin Bin) -- made offensive remarks regarding the size of some participants which was totally uncalled for. And now this comment regarding the level of instruction.

If you have any further comments and/or questions regarding the US MAP Meet which took place earlier last month ..... then please refer to this link
    http://www.geocities.com/usmapmeet/meetdetails.pdf
    which contains all the necessary information regarding the experience of all the instructors there that day as well as their MAP names and then feel free to contact them.

I am sure they will be more than happy to answer any questions that you may have.

Thank you

8. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

KC, I'm pretty sure he's referring to the video, not pictures.

9. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

The video has not been made public as I have not yet received copyright on it.

10. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

There's definitely *some* video of it, there's a thread on Bullshido. Not sure if it's *the* video, but then I don't know if there's a difference between the two.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34172

11. mleone

mleone New Member

Greetings all,
    That was me in the video.
    The person doing the under cross choke was a student of mine and was doing that of her own accord. She has previous training prior to me. She did that on her own and it wasnt part of the demonstration

That was really to be done with a GI any ways.

The rear naked choke demonstration comes right from a basic submission chain from Mark Hatmaker. (Lullabye series) It goes from Mark to Jim Mccaan --> Me
    One video with poor audio is simply a bad representation of what I was explaining.
    Since it was a basic seminar and a basic introduction it was design to show not an escape but rather how you can chain from a rear naked choke to something else.
    Then I threw in a rear naked choke arm crank that was directly from Bas rutten who also trained with Jim Mccaan. Please try not to judge an entire school or instructor based of 30 seconds of video. It makes no sense what so ever. Training hands on makes the only sense. Video clips with poor audio cant really best represent what somone does.
    thank you

12. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

Thanks for the post. I kind of thought that might have been a student, and not an instructor doing the cross choke under the mount (at least I had hoped so). The problem is, that a lot of the people you deal with on these forums are quick to snap judgements when they have no idea what is being said/taught, and thus no idea of context. It's a shame people don't think about this more. Is it really that difficult to post a question in a respectable fashion before jumping all over people and telling them that what they're teaching is crap?

13. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

You've lost me here, from what I've seen there is no lack of respect in this thread from anyone. A somewhat dodgy technique has been identified and now has been addressed. But a dodgy technique is a dodgy technique, regardless of the context surely?
    I really don't understand what you want. You can't have people pussy footing around all the time, that would be a disaster.

14. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

My comment wasn't directed at you. I can certainly understand the desire to question a technique that you feel is being executed incorrectly. It may just be a misunderstanding of intent though. Sometimes it's hard to tell a persons tone in just text. For example, when someone says, "Who was at that MAP Meet, and what the hell happened there?," I tend to take that as hostility as opposed to an honest question.

15. KempoFist

I am not trying to start a fight with these allegations of "ulterior motives" or trying to come here with intent to just insult people (although my gut tells me to, but I am more civil than that) but yes Kickchick I have watched the video, or at least an editted version of the entire thing (about 17 minutes worth of the meet). I find it amusing that as soon as the MAP Meet and the video began taking criticism for not having really one showing of anything remotely productive being done, every source of the video was pulled from the web. I mean be proud enough to defend yourself...or at least laugh at yourself :D

I'm not really interested in their credentials or personal information. I'd much rather have an open discussion here, so they can at least save face (I'd think it would be in their best interest to put the confusion to rest out in the open...I know I sure would if someone caught a bad video of me teaching and it leaked onto the net) but is that somehow a problem?

I'm not sure about how Bas Rutten does it, but from the way it looked only someone as strong as Bas Rutten could do anything at all with a technique like that. There was no controlling of any joints beyond the shoulder to a small degree which the attacker could have easily just cranked on tighter instead of just letting him do the move.

And KickChick I apologize if I come off sounding "rude" or "disrespectful" but quite honestly I'm not sure how else you could expect me to react. It's like telling me to not look when driving past a 10 car pileup on the highway.

16. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

Kempofist

'I am not trying to start a fight with these allegations of "ulterior motives" or trying to come here with intent to just insult people (although my gut tells me to...'

' I find it amusing that as soon as the MAP Meet and the video began taking criticism for not having really one showing of anything remotely productive being done...'

'I'd much rather have an open discussion here, so they can at least save face '

For me your Intent is clear, just from these little snippets in your post.

I doubt the attendees at MAP meet agree that nothing remotely productive was achieved and i see no reason why they need to 'save face'

17. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Then let them speak in the defence of the instructors in question. If the instructors have nothing to be ashamed of, there is no reason why they can't come on here and explain things. There's a difference between honest, fair criticism and pointless insults, though many members of MAP don't understand this. By removing the links to the video and shooting down anyone who dares question what happened, you only make it worse, because it suggests that there is something to hide. I have never met so many people who are unable to handle an opposing point of view outside of MAP.

18. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

i really think the link shoud be posted and the issue discussed. MAP is a community of members. Some will be great and some not so accomplished. this goes for practitioners and teachers alike. We can all do nothing but learn from discussing the merits of the video. I would like to add, I think it sends the wrong mesage to do otherwise. It infers that we here at MAP have something to hide. This is not the case, is it?

that is my two cents

19. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Oh, you mean intelligent discussion bordering on 5 or 6 pages of "How fat Capt Ann is" like the Bullshido thread on the MAP meet? Or maybe we can rag on everyone for not just sparring the entire time? Or hey, you Ikken (oh wait, he got binned!) and the other Bullshido folk can come on over and insult the rest of us for 14 pages, Lord knows that's all you've accomplished over there. Cuz, yeah, that's such highly evolved "discussion". :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  20. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

First let me say, that I won't be defending anyone or anything about the MAP Meet. The sole pupose of the MAP Meet was to bring members together to meet one another, and to share a small portion of instruction in various styles that MAP member instructors volunteered to teach.

Many of the attendees were new to martial arts, or in fact have never picked up a kettlebell, a bokken, a stick or a piece of PVC pipe in their life ;)
    We were all there at one time .... -- a beginner.

Seems these meets have been compared to "throwdowns" which they are not nor will they be or ever discussed as such.

I understand that this has given certain people something to talk about but you know what? I feel honored to have been insulted, belittled, called names, and flamed by them all. The only embarrassment that I do feel is for the poor filming of the very brief highlights of the afternoon.

It is in the process of being edited & copyrighted .... (audio was distorted and credits needed to be added as well as a better intro) If you choose to view the video 'as is' I will upload it and post it here ....

Also these people fail to mention that this event (as well as all the other MAP Meets) supported a worthwile charity..... that being FOCUS - (domestic abuse)

Last edited: May 9, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.