Thug Workout - The Verdict

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by TheCount, Apr 30, 2006.

1. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Ok, so I was looking for something different to do, weightlifting wasn't doing it for me, I didn't get that enjoyment from training much anymore. So someone suggests the Thug Workout (look it up on youtube.com if you want, does contain explicit language). This pretty much involves freestyle bodyweight Exercises with a special training philosophy: When you aren't in pain from training you train. This could lead to training every day, the guy who does the video does chins etc every single day heh.

Diet wise I'm fairly good, I used the squats a milk idea too, devouring a 4 pinter of full fat milk in about 2/3 days. I'm currently nearing 5'7 and 116 ish Lb, 8 - 9% BF. I used mixed fruit and nuts as a snack between times and each 2 days had a sweet snack, like toast with choccy spread just to mix it up a bit. I remember a post consideirng chat waterburys high volume workout, well this I spose is relevant to it.

Workout 1 - Pressups, military style and lots of them. 2 Sets to failure with a 2 minute rest, situps 2 sets of 30 ish. Chins, 3 sets of 7 6 and 4 reps. Then leg raises and 2 sets of 20 pistols.

Day After - Despite taking 25g of whey in milk I was acheing like fury the next day, my movement was actually restricted.

Few days later...

Workout 2 - Pressups, military style 15 reps for a warmup. Then fist at hips for 10, chest to the floor 10 and hands in front of shoulders (hits mid delts) for 15. Sailor lifts, 20 reps. No chins this time, under table rows (you can adjust the strain you take) of which I did a lot of reps ( I actually lost count) on top of numerous other rowing exercises. Went for a run as well that evening.

Day after
    Still acheing rather a lot.

Gave it about a weeks rest.

Workout 3 - Pressups, Military as a warmup again then 15 ches to floor, 10 hands at hips then more military. 50 situps, 8 leg raises (back on floor), 7 chins then 5 chins. Then some one hand static hangs. Then I did some sorta chest flyes, one arm against the wall then pulling myself around and so on.

Oddly enough very few aches the next day.

Workout 4 - Pretty much same as always, this time the only noticeable thing the next day was a slight twinge in my outter pecs/front delts and mid shoulders. Otherwise plain sailing.

Now, the nitty gritty. I seem to have gained in strength. In terms of coordination my movements are a lot less robotic... they feel natural compared to a slightly fixed feel having done weights. My dog which weights 12kg I can happily scoop up in one arm and I seem to handle my katana much more easily. General explosive movements are better too, punching faster and stronger than before.

Just thought I would post, my verdict is try it. I wouldn't say its as efficient as weights but I've enjoyed it much more. Still going well

2. ItalianStallion

ItalianStallion Valued Member

The main problem I think is the lack of rest, I dont think the pain(d.om.s) is exactly the best indicator for that, alota the time i work out I feel fine the next day (no i wasnt bludging :) ), so even if your not sore, your muscles might still need to recover.

3. TheCount

You can tell. After doing it a little while, you can feel when or not you are ready to train, becomes second nature. Theres just little signs that tell you if you are up for it

4. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

Its the sort of thing i would do if i was ever separated from my weights for any length of time.

i could do with improving my chins a bit though. maybe work them in 2 or 3 times a week instead of 1.

5. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I would do deadlifts as well as the bodyweight stuff I dont think you can do them muscles with bodyweight.

I hope I can slip that comment in without turning this into bodyweight vs freeweight thread.

6. TheCount

The whole point of the workout is that no weights are required. Most of the exercises like dips and chins etc. are hard enough already. Pistols are surprisingly tricky heh, one arm pushups are quite nasty.

The reason I recommend it is that it really does feel good doing it. Different from weights, less rigid. I am currently waiting to see if long term growth is sustained. Im currently maintaining 8 stone 6 happily enough with less BF than normal

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

You know, calling it a "thug" workout doesn't really make it any cooler then just saying it's a bodyweight routine. :p

If you try it and you like it, then do it. You're not going to make the great gains you want with working out if you don't enjoy it most of the time.

8. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Erm... you're under 120lbs mate. At 17, that is pretty underweight so I would look to eating a hell of a lot more and gaining some meat :)

9. Nick K

Nick K Sometimes a Valued Member

You may have got stronger simply because you have had a rest from your weights. There was a thread on here suggesting maximal adaptation to training occurs about 7-10 days after training, so maybe a break has allowed your body time to catch up and adapt!

Alternatively, there is a schoool of thought that any programme gets stale after a while, usually because people can't maintain sufficient intensity, so maybe a change has given you a boost in enthusiasm.

10. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Maybe he's only 5 foot :D

11. Transcend

Transcend Valued Member

116 pounds is not considered underweight for his age and height...it is within a healthy weight range.

12. TigerDude

TigerDude Valued Member

116 pounds places a 17.5 y.o. male in the 5th percentile in terms of weight. 5'7" is about the 20th percentile. (I'm assuming male , here. Is that even right?)

Note that a 50th percentile male would only weight about 145.

CDC Graph

13. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

A male at 5'7" and 116 pounds is extremely skinny. Heck, a female at 116 pounds at 5'7" would be skinny.

14. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

If the Thug workout you're talking about is the one with the convicts wearing state 'greens' then you might be in for a big surprise...

None of those guys got as big as they are on bodyweight exercises. Look at the hypertrophy they're sporting. That ain't from doing push ups and pull ups. :D

What they've done is taken the basic prison work out and attempted to market it to the public. Up until that came out - that kind of work out was reserved for those who've 'earned' their state 'greens'.

Greens being the correctional system issued clothing in some prison systems in California. :p This is why he makes the point of noting that he's wearing 'greens' and not '****ies' which are were work pants but have become a uniform amongst So. Cal latin gang members.

I am sure you were holding your breath to know all that.

The stuff they do in the vid is interesting. Much of it is similar to workouts that have been devised to enhance climbing ability and endurance among the rock climbing and bouldering crowd.

But I had to laugh when they show all these cats with bodybuilding physiques and attempt to play it off like they got their by doing pushups and other bodyweight exercises... sorry... don't think so. :rolleyes:

15. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Do the deadlifts, or you will make me sad. It will help the other bodyweight exercises which you can progress to one arm chins, plyo pistols, muscles ups, one arm handstand pushups.

16. NaziKiller

NaziKiller New Member

I wonder why people find it so innovative. I've been doing it for as long as I've been training (which is not much :D ). I would think it is best to combine both bodyweight and freeweight excercise, for the sake of diversity and reaping all the possible benefits. It's a proven fact that some people are awesome weightlifters but can't pull themselves for more than 2-3 pullups (I have at least 3 friends as proof).

As for deadlifts... what about back squats (the weightless ones, where you hold your hands out for balance) and bootstrapper? Also, highly appreciated if someone told me what pistols is.

17. TheCount

18. flaming

flaming Valued Member

19. NaziKiller

NaziKiller New Member

Just tried it... freakin' hard. I bet if it this can't replace deadlifts back squats can't either... but what abotu bootstrappers?

20. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

where?