new here

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by TigerKai, Apr 29, 2006.

1. TigerKai

TigerKai Valued Member

Hello,

I'm an experienced martial artist from southern Ohio. New to MAP and invite all to discuss or ask questions. I'll try to help all that I can and also learn from others. I have two martial arts studios and teach kung fu at the local college.

2. oldman

oldman Banned Banned

Welcome dude what type of kung fu do you teach :D

3. TigerKai

TigerKai Valued Member

thanks! I teach tiger kai kung fu. It is an open-dynamic hybrid system that combines the strengths of several Chinese systems with groundfighting, muay thai and many original concepts.

4. oldman

oldman Banned Banned

Oh do you have a web site

5. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Sifumorgan - welcome :)

Nice to have you here - how did you find us out of interest?

What is your previous background in training? What is your ultimate goal for training? (Do you compete, self defence?)

You seem to embody the JKD concept and take whats useful and mix it together and bin everything else :) Or have I grasp the entire wrong end of the stick?

6. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Welcome aboard :)

7. TigerKai

TigerKai Valued Member

links and background

http://www.mastermatt.com/shaolin/

This is the Shaolin iron tiger claw kung fu I studied for about seven years. My sifu studied directly under Greenlee as his assistant instructor. He is a 5th degree black sash in iron tiger. It is as close as I can get you to my hybrid style until I get my website up with student pics. Even though it is a very complete style I found some of the stances and footwork to be too constrictive and slow. Speed was being sacrificed for brute power. I incorporated it with modified wing chun blocking (which is the best around), center line theory, groundfighting, reaps, muay thai clinching and kicks, mantis, hungar, jeet kune do, qigong and many of my own techniques. I consider it to be one of the most lethal styles around. There are 9 fighting forms, 9 classical forms, iron thread set, and tiger-crane double set. Sparring is emphasized and although aggression during training is encouraged, we don't follow the principals of fighting with killer instinct as emphasized in my old iron tiger training. Instead, we fight from emptymindedness, a state of awareness reached through meditation. I call it "pinball mind" You aren't worrying about pain, stress or defeat, only full awareness and perception. This also gives you the clarity and presence of mind to adjust the degree of force on the enemy depending on the situation. Many times in iron tiger we would take things waaaay to far in simulations and an attacker would be killed very quickly because of multiple high-impact vital shots after he was disabled. My hybrid style is tiger kai kung fu.

Here is another link to a student of Grandmaster Greenlee...

http://www.ec-shopping.com/mall/c10...oxing/scott.asp

my background:
    I have over 15 years of martial art experience. I first began training in the martial arts when I was 12 years old with my dad who is a black belt. He was trained in Chillicothe, Ohio by U.S.A. Olympic coach Don Madden. A short time later I studied shuri-ryu Okinawan karate in Logan, Ohio with Sensei Rick Lehman for a little over one year. Sensei Lehman studied under Sensei Mark Rowe of Golden Dragon Karate Studio. I entered the 1992 Jay T. Will All-Ohio Open Karate Championships and placed 2nd in my division for sparring. Soon after this time I was introduced to Sifu Bill Foister. He corrected the flaws that I had adopted from my previous training and accepted me as a student providing the rest of my formal training in wing chun, hung gar, mantis, sil-lum, dim mak, muay thai, ground fighting, and Shaolin iron tiger-claw kung fu. This training took about five and a half years and consisted of very rigorous external conditioning up to twice per week. I was also expected to practice on my own between lessons. During this time I assisted in the instruction of the new students. I was also called upon by Sifu to represent Chinese kung fu in semi full-contact sparring matches whenever a student from a rival Japanese, Okinawan or Korean system challenged our system. There were three matches like this during the time I was under the tutelage of Sifu Foister in Logan and Lancaster, Ohio locations. I was victorious in all three challenges. (put a TKD guy through a wall) To the best of my knowledge, Sifu Foister spoke of his childhood training in Columbus with an older Grandmaster named Virgil. Virgil was trained traditionally by a Chinese immigrant whose name I never heard. Afterwards, Sifu Foister trained for a considerable amount of time with Grandmaster Richard Greenlee who directly inherited the Shaolin tiger kung fu from Sing Lee.

Shortly after graduating from high school I moved to Cincinnati, Ohio where I resided for nearly three years. After returning to this area Sifu had also moved away and I’ve been unable to contact him.

I have since studied iron chi kung, no shadow, qigong, grappling, and jeet kune do fighting applications. I have also incorporated bodybuilding into my workout regimen to add more power and speed into all of my strikes. I'm now very muscular at 5'11, 180lbs, 17 inch peaked biceps.

I never questioned my Sifu about his background because his ability was so spectacular.

He despised Japanese and Korean martial arts and this did have an effect on me while I was younger. I don't hold anger for any race or culture myself.

My training was very different than you may find most places in the US. We went very hard at one another, Sifu encouraged this and, although he did seem to occassionally have an enlightened side, he mostly promoted violent training. This attracted the streetfighter types which looked up to him because of his outright cockyness and fighting ability. He was extremely fast and powerful. We did iron body, ground fighting training in gravel, he used weighted waffle ball bats to beat our torso and appendages during dynamic tension, we would all stand in a big circle and punch your partner's stomach, the punches travelled around the circle and increased power during each revolution, when you can take no more you step out and the circle tightens to only a few people, I lasted very long during this until my stomach turned green and it was down to me and Sifu, I stepped out then because I feared his power during that time. Bloody lips and noses were common, during simulations Sifu told the attacker to blast us if we missed the block. Around once every month and a half someone had to go to the hospital, my ribs were dented in when I was 15 from a spinning heel kick from Sifu, it later hardened from cartilage into bone and I have a dip in my left side, doctors said it shouldn't bother me now.. but our training would last 4 hours each time.

I have condensed all of my martial knowledge and innovative techniques into Tiger-Kai Kung-fu. This is a uniquely hybrid martial art that combines the strengths of several Chinese systems with modern kinesthetic science. I consider it to be one of the most effective self-defense systems practiced in the world today.

8. TigerKai

TigerKai Valued Member

Thanks, I'm always reading MA magazines and books so it is very exciting to post back and forth here about my passion.

I do yahoo searches for very specific CMA terms and many results link back to these forums, so I wanted to get into some of these conversations.

My Sifu discouraged competing, on one occassion a TKD friend in school took me to his studio and I performed very well during sparring which seemed to amaze the class, they would say omg he's fast!.. I was all charged up by this and had a tournament flyer so I excitedly told Sifu about it. He said that if I entered that he would no longer train me. He said that point sparring is a point match, a game of tag, where you pull your punches and will flaw your technique in a real fight.

I'm teaching now and very tempted to enter point sparring or maybe full-contact fighting. This could draw major interest in my style. I'm 27 yrs. old, still very fast and strong with no long-term injuries. I also have a family and not sure if I should do something like that in the event that I get hurt and can't teach anymore or if its best to let students represent the style.

9. billf1970

billf1970 New Member

sifu? morgan

This is master Bill Foister ranking member of the iron tiger kung fu federation. You was only in class for a month or two. You are and will never be ranked in iron tiger kung fu. You are not the type that we would give this to. You have no honor. To all what he said above is all a lie. It took me 35 years to become a master. He is using my name in his lie. You can find me on Facebook under my name if you have any? As well as Harold Morgan he is on my Facebook and I am about to ask him about this.

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

This thread is 9 years old and Sifumorgan's last post was in 2009.

It's therefore highly unlikely you'll get a reply, other that from the regulars who will ask you questions that will make you uncomfortable.

On another thread you said you've been in the Marshall Arts for 35 years.

Marshall Arts? Really?

Anyway, welcome to MAP.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Marshall arts master eh?

Looks like there's a new sheriff in town.....:woo:

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Ha! I love MAP.