What's the difference?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by -=|§ØÛ£|=-, Sep 26, 2003.

1. -=|§ØÛ£|=-

-=|§ØÛ£|=- New Member

OK. I really don't know that much about Ju-Jitsu, but I keep hearing about Brazilian Ju-Jitusu (BBJ). I can't remember where I read this, but I think Ju-Jitsu was originally made in Japan (Correct me if I'm wrong). I was just wondering what the differences are and which one would be the obvious one to choose.:confused:

2. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

Hello.
    There is no obvious one to choose.I personaly prefer Japanese ju jitsu.

Japanese ju jitsu was the art practiced by the samurai (One of the arts).It is often referd to as the mother of japanese martial arts.
    As for BJJ i'm not sure.U'd have to ask a bjj guy for that.I'm sure u'd find a history if u searched in google.I do know that some people are touchy (not in a bad way) between the difference between BJJ and Garcie Jujitsu.
    I think that the gracies practiced JJJ and then formed there own style with more ground fighting and different aspects of JJ brought more to the fore.

I may be way off the mark but i'm not sure.Im sure a BJJ guy will come and explain things better.

Have a look here for a breif history of ju jistu
    http://www.jujitsuscotland.com/

Last edited: Sep 26, 2003
  3. Jim

Jim New Member

What would make you choose between them?

4. -=|§ØÛ£|=-

-=|§ØÛ£|=- New Member

Well, I was thinking about starting up Ju-Jitsu. And I was wanting to know the differences bewteen the original ju-Jitsu style and the BBJ style. It seems to be the most talked about so I would have thought that it would have had more techniques or something like that incorporated into it. I was really wanting to start up the traditional styles.
    (And thanks to Sub zero for the Ju-Jitsu info.)

5. smee193

smee193 New Member

hi all,

As Sub Zero said and i may be wrong too japanese jujitsu is a traditional art! it has Kata, lots of stances etc.

japanese jujitsu incorporates strikes and kicks similar to karate but emphasises throws (judo) and locks! it was designed to be used by the samurai for fighting without their sword as was aikido!

Bjj is very similar but doesnt have all the kata/stances ( i think)
    Bjj has been called a sporting style ( not a bad thing at all ) and is used a lot in mma events and cage fighting. Bjj from what i have seen works a lot on ground fighting and grappling!

the best thing to do is think about what YOU want from your art!
    do you want to go into competitions? do you want to look into the spiritual side of it? do you want to learn it for self defense?

If you have the chance try them both out, then you will be able to decide!

good luck with whatever style you choose!

Marky

6. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

Thanks.

I have to say that apart form wepon katas my club has very few which are learned form a low level.I believe we have a blocking kata,a wrist lock kata.Another sort of ju jitsu kata and a praying mantis kata.(From the chinese master who came over and taught this form to samurai).

HI jimj.I take it you're aasking me why i chose between them.It was becasue i had a JJJ club much closer to me.In my view.The JJJ club i had chosen was better than two jjj others that i found in my area.I preferred my JJJ club to the bjj club i saw.And jjj just seemed more my thing.

I fyou mean why didn't i do both?
    Well beacuse i idn't have much money and i was (and still am) studying lau gar kung fu.

7. -=|§ØÛ£|=-

-=|§ØÛ£|=- New Member

Actually, I'm already taking Kuk Sool Won but I'm going to have to quit soon because my brother was paying for our lessons, and it wouldn't seem right to go on without him anyways. I've just found out that ju-Jitsu is too far way and is out of the question. Thanks for the info anyways. Maybe I'll look into Judo now.

8. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

judo was formed from japanese jujitsu

the basic difference between bjj and jjj is that bjj focuses primarily on groundwork. jjj has throws and strikes as well

9. -=|§ØÛ£|=-

-=|§ØÛ£|=- New Member

Ah, thanks for the info. That's all I really wanted, was for someone to tell me the difference so I could decide which one I liked the best.

Yes, i know Judo was derived from Ju-Jitsu

And I might be able to find someway to participate in Ju-Jitsu after all.

10. saikyou

saikyou New Member

there is a thread like this in the judo forums. check it out.

11. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

In general:

BJJ is focused more on clinch and groundwork(read; VERY close range fighting). It also uses full-force sparring methods. Claim to fame is great success in no-rules tournaments(UFC). If you like fighting check it out.
    NOTE: Schools that adhere to the Gracie way of teaching will teach a self-defense portion as well(weapons, street style attacks etc)

JJJ is focused on just about every aspect of fighting(striking, grappling, weapons). Tends to prefer using cooperative training, but some schools use full-force sparring methods. If you like a wholesome art, check it out.
    NOTE: some JJJ schools produce good sparring competitors as well, as I've personally witnessed.

I think both styles are good for self-defense.

12. Qasim

Qasim Guest

This statement gives the impression that Jujutsu borrows from Judo and Karate. You may know this is not so, but for someone who doesn't, this is the impression. Judo and Aikido are decendents of Jujutsu. Karate is new (not to be confused with Okinawan Te systems such as Shorin Ryu).

Jujutsu also does not borrow anything from Okinawan fighting. Those systems were developed because of the samurai.

Okinawa was and still is under Japanese control and the people weren't allowed to carry weapons, so they developed their systems as a way of defending themselves.

Aikido was not developed as a combat method for a Samurai who couldn't use his weapon. It was developed in the 1920's by Ueshiba Sensie, and the samurai no longer existed. He studied Aiki Jujutsu and created Aikido based on his martial arts experience.

BJJ is an offshoot of Judo.

Just my two cents.

13. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

Thanks for that clear way of putting it forward.

14. BagelGod

BagelGod New Member

Not an offshoot!

As a BJJ person myself, I would like to set a few things straight.

It is not, let me repeat, NOT an offshoot of judo. Infact, BJJ and Judo are the complete opposites. BJJ has lots of ground work, little take downs, Judo has lots of take downs, little ground work. They both however are derived from the japanese JJ, and are both related to sports. BJJ is not strictly sport, as someone pointed out earlier, it has its own self defence moves with guns, etc. etc. BJJ has little to no striking in it, although there are many opportunities when you could improvise and strike away, no weapons, and it has one stance, being an active grappling stance. Thats pretty much all I can think of at the time about BJJ...Hope I helped.

15. Qasim

Qasim Guest

Re: Not an offshoot!

Where did BJJ come from?

16. BagelGod

BagelGod New Member

It came from brazil. To zoom in more, helio gracie came up with the whole shebang. He studied traditional japanese JJ, and thought it needed more of the ground work in it. So he scrapped everything else pretty much, and turned it into a major ground attack system.

17. Pika

Pika New Member

BagelGod, Helio didn't come up with it. Maeda taught Carlos and Carlson. BJJ was refined in Brazil, but came from Judo, and hence Traditional JJ.

It was judo they were taught, and has since been modified from to suit Vale Tudo. The biggest changes occur in training techniques and the application to Vale Tudo.

By the way, I am also a BJJ practitioner.

18. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

19. Qasim

Qasim Guest

I was waiting for someone to follow up on this after Bagelgod's attempt to inaccurately correct my statement.

Quoting Bagelgod:

"As a BJJ person myself, I would like to set a few things straight.

"It came from brazil. To zoom in more, helio gracie came up with the whole shebang. He studied traditional japanese JJ, and thought it needed more of the ground work in it. So he scrapped everything else pretty much, and turned it into a major ground attack system."

Even better, it's from someone who studies/practices BJJ. :D

20. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

LOL YODA.

Nice avatar.

arghhhhhhhhhh snake aaaaaaaa snake!:D