UFC 59 *Spoiler*

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by IrishStomp, Apr 16, 2006.

1. IrishStomp

IrishStomp Valued Member

Well, I thought I'd for sure see new threads on UFC 59 when I checked out MAP today but I guess I have to start one since no one else did.

**SPOILER**

I thought Evan Tanner's fight was pretty predictable, with him winning with a triangle in the first round.

Jeff Monson vs Pe De Pano (i think those are the right names) I was rooting for Monson because he's a 5 foot 9 heavyweight and I have to show support for the short guy in the heavyweight division, I don't think Pe De Pano really took full advantage of the huge reach he had in this fight, Jeff Monson pushed the action the whole time and I really thought he was going to KO him but ended up winning a decision.

Sean Sherk vs Nick Diaz was a fairly boring fight, Sean Sherk being the agressor the whole time and winning the fight by decision.

Forrest Griffin vs Tito Ortiz, while I was dissapointed with the fight, by UFCs scoring I guess I'll agree that Oritz one, although I think they put too much emphasis on points for takedowns. I thought Griffin was going to be able to land a crucial punch in the 2nd or 3rd round but it didn't happen, although, I will note that Ortiz looked extremely timid and humbled fighting the rising fighter Griffin.

Andrei Arlovski vs Tim Sylvia, I can't believe this one. I really don't think anyone thought it would happen this way, but Sylvia looked damn quick in this fight. Thinking back on all the interviews Sylvia gave and the way they hyped up Arlovski in this fight, Sylvia did exactly what he said. He hadn't trained much for their first meeting and this time, other than him getting knocked down, he seemed to be a more dominant striker. IMO, Arlovski needed to be more cautious rushing in after he knocked Sylvia down because Sylvia didn't really seem THAT rocked. Sylvia was really counter punching well, I thought, with quick hooks connecting after Arlovski's several flurrys of punches.

Also, I didn't get to seem 3 of the fights which I'm kind've bummed about since it's advertised that I'd get to see them but whatever I guess. All in all, not that great of a card but if anything, worth watching because of the huge upset in the Arlovski/Sylvia fight. Any opinions?

2. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

I haven't read the Spoiler.

Can someone tell me if it's worth watching it? How does it compare to the last two or three?

3. IrishStomp

IrishStomp Valued Member

Worth watching if you're not paying for it. Not a terrible UFC but not great at all. Basically just average.

4. reel deel

reel deel New Member

I was disappointed with the scoring on the Tito/Forrest fight I thought Forrest may have just nicked it and certainly if it's had gone another two rounds I think that Griffen would have won it.
    The Arlovski/ Sylvia was a suprise, I've watched it a few times now, I think Sylvia was hurt badly and it was sheer guts and determination that kept him going, as for the punch I've slowed it and reversed it and watched it over and over, Andrei impetuously ran on to what was a very weak (if not lucky punch) which doe's call into question Arlovski's ability to take a hit to the jaw. He had plenty of time to finish Sylvia but over enthusiasm caused him to charge in recklessly end of story. I always wince at an Evan Tanner fight because Evan cuts so easily, but Evan was dominant in this fight and the stand in fighter gave him few problems although credit to the kid for stepping up and taking the fight.
    I like Sean Sherk, I think he's a great fighter and possibly a champion in waiting, However Diaz managed to smother most of Sherks Takedowns although Diaz was ineffective in the stand up, with his reach advantage he should have been the aggressor but to be honest he was terrible, and at the end of the match we got the usual prima donna antics from this fighter who believed he should have won a match that he did not work for.
    I like Jeff Monson, and he was the aggressor up against what was a very difficult and savvy opponent, again I think Jeff is a Champion in waiting his wrestling is excellent though he needs to learn how to close and use the uppercut against taller fighter a technique he never used throughout the entire match, so I think that if he works on his stand up in particular his hand skills and slipping punches in order to close I do think that this guy could go all the way

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  5. rex00

rex00 Banned Banned

Why was diaz crouching over sherk letting his chin be in reach of his punches? If you have that big heigh advantage shouldn't he be using it to stay out the way of those and throw leg kicks to slow sherk down a bit, was there any reason for that or just a mistake? (it's first time i watched UFC).

6. reel deel

reel deel New Member

Hi rex
    It was beyond me what he was trying to do, if he was trying to lure Sherk well when Sherk did move in Diaz had no reply, as you say he didn't use his reach/hieght advantage no leg kicks, I believe the bloke really is arrogant enough to think he should be given the win whether he works for it or not.

7. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

Are you kidding me? Arlovski totally knocked Sylvia off his feet, and just like everyone who was watching, Arlovski felt that Sylvia was rocked and would not regain his composure that fast. When this is the case, the best thing to do is go in for the kill and not let them regain their senses. The problem was that Sylvia recovered alot faster than anyone would have assumed and he was able to land a devastating upper cut. Anyone who says it was not that good of a punch has never felt a punch from someone of that size and I guarantee it would hurt.

IMO Arlovski played it exactly has he should have and 99 times out of 100 he would have come out the victor. Cudos to Sylvia for finishing it the way he did though.

8. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

When we were watching it we were asking the same thing. But if you notice, whenever he was lifted and thrown, his reaching for the leg helped him to reverse the takedown quickly as he would grab as he was lifted. Must be a new technique or just one seldom used.

I was actually surprised that Sherk kept trying to take him down as they were mostly ineffective, whereas he was doing well in the standup game.

9. IrishStomp

IrishStomp Valued Member

I'm really going to have to disagree with the 99 times out of 100 Arlovski would've finished that fight doing the same thing. Sylvia was throwing strong hooks and counter punches the whole fight before he got knocked down. After he got back up, what makes you think he was going to stop? I think he's just too huge to stay rocked for very long, by the time he got back up he looked like he was back to normal.

10. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

Of course he looked normal to you as you were watching the various replays on the TV. But to Arlovski I am sure he felt that he had the perfect opportunity to get in there and finish Sylvia as he was rocked, and did not want him to have time to recover. As it turns out, Sylvia did recover alot faster than expected and Arlovski paid for it. End of story.

I stand by my theory that 99 times out of 100 (Fine, lets say 9 out of 10 times) a guy who gets rocked like that would not mormally get up right after and be able to pull it together enough to quickly land an awesome uppercut as Arlovski was going in for the kill.

11. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Meh, I wouldn't worry too much about Sylvia vs. Arlovski.

It's only a matter of time before Arlovski takes back the title.