What part of the fist do you hit with?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Raven927, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Raven927

Raven927 Valued Member

My instructer said it's a little known fact that your suppos to hit with the last 3 knuckles on your fist? Is this true he said how if you make a fist you can see the body was designed to hit with the last 3 knuckles and people who have been in the buisness for a long time use the last 3 knuckles because it dosen't cause wrist damage? Is he full of it or does he speak the truth?

2. DragonSpawn

DragonSpawn Ronin

Yes and no

There are two traditional types of punches used in most eastern MA: the vertical punch or sun fist, which strikes (vertically) with the last three knuckles; and the roundhouse punch or long fist, which turns before impact to strike (horizontally) with the first two. The advantage of the first is durability of the wrist and hand; of the second is reach and possibly slightly greater impact due to the turn of the wrist into the punch.

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

My last 2 knuckles wouldn't survive a jab, whereas my first two knuckles are twice their size. I think I'll stick with the 1st two.

4. Alienfish360

Alienfish360 Valued Member

I tend to jab and cross using the first 2 and hook with the last 3.

5. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

I try to keep my fist verticle when I hook so that I don't do that. Having gloves on kind of makes me slack off, but I still try to watch it.

6. gornex

gornex Valued Member

i have heard both, i have heard for styles like karate to hit with the first to because the fist is sideways and you make the power concentrated into less area, causeing more damage. In wing chun we use the bottom three because of the way it lines up with the wrist and everything like that or something.

7. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Yeah, I really don't get this whole "Bottom three for better alignment" thing. If you look at a skeleton you can plainly see the first two knuckles are better aligned with the arm. I've been warned by medics not to do Wing Chun for that matter.

8. Song1

Song1 New Member

First two for myself. just seems alot easier for me to break my hand if i punch with my bottom 2

9. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

the first two knuckles..if you are going to transfer your weight into the punch... period..

in fact, accidental and lazy punching with gloves often results in a "boxers break) the fracture of the lower metacarpal boes in the hand from impact using the bottom knuckes.... there is no way in hell it creates better alignment... like someone above said.. look at a skeleton and try doing push-ups on your fists in both places to feel which is better aligned... it is clear

again... first two knuckles.... first two knuckles

p.s. tell your teacher to buy an anatomy book

p.p.s. if you do not like to hit with the closed fist using the knuckes use a palm heel, but NEVER use the bottom three knuckles full-force on purpose unless you want to see a doctor

10. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Ignoring the fact that there is NO good reason to do Wing Chun, I agree with the alignment thing, too. In my crappy Temple Kung Fu, better TKD, and awesome MMA class, all my teachers have told me to punch with my first two knuckles.

11. DragonSpawn

DragonSpawn Ronin

You know, you people who decide that one way is better than another just because you hurt your untrained hands when you try the other, or that one way just makes more sense to you regardless of what centuries of masters have learned and passed down, should shut the *** up and keep your worthless ignorance to yourself.

12. I-Iwarung

I-Iwarung New Member

uhh I dont mean to bash your master, but you never hit with the last three knuckles unless you are doing some sort differant sort of punch linke they do in kung fu. You ALWAYS in a normal reverse, virtical, uppercut etc. hit with the FIRST two knuckles. Even though you probbly could use the last three knuckles, for board breaking it would be pretty rough on your hand. I dont know too much about Tang Soo Do, but if its anything like Tae Kwon Do or Karate, Hapkido, you would punch with the first two knuckles. Thats only how I was trained and in my opinion is probbly the best way to do punches again because your first two knuckles can natually take more punnishment than the last three. Again it is possible to use the last threee knuckles, but I would not make a habbit of it. However, if you master tells you to do them that way then listen, but remember to work the first two as well.

13. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

many things have "been passed down" through the ages and discarded eventually when explained and refuted by medical science... it is called progress
    untrained....lol

14. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

You're right. I'm sorry. Why do something that's easy to begin with, when you can train for years to do something else that accomplishes the same task, but is much more dangerous? What was I thinking? :confused:

15. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Then why did western boxers punch with the bottom 3 up until as late as the early 1900's?

16. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Its called progress. We dont light fires with rocks, we dont hunt with spears, we dont ride into battle with swords and shields (even though that would be cool) because we know better ways.

17. rex00

rex00 Banned Banned

More importantly why did they change to hitting with the first two? Progress maybe?

18. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Absolutely correct! I have always been instructed to use the first 2 knuckles. No matter what the fist position is for a jab, cross, hook, back fist, etc. We practice hitting wooden planks (2" x 12"'s actually) and I am told that the smaller knuckles, and the smaller bones in the hand behind them, will not withstand the same pressure as the first 2 knuckles. I am not saying there are no situations where you would limit yourself to first-2 knuckles only. I am too ignorant with the multiple types of strikes. I can only comment on what I have been taught and the explainations I have received. :cool: :Angel:

19. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Why can't people use both? Why limit your striking surface?

These self imposed "limitations" people place is rediculous. A punch is a punch and a kick is a kick. Get in, get it through, get out, go home.

Personally I like the concept of using my whole hand in strikes, palms, heel, backfist, knuckles, different types of knuckle strikes.

20. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Do we have any evidence, as opposed to anectdotal, that any particular knuckle is weaker than another?

If you look at a hand x-ray you will notice that although the finger size differs greatly, the actual 'knuckle bones' or metacarpals are pretty much the same size. See attached diagram.

As for alignment, if you make a fist and look down on it you will notice the only two knuckles that are in alignment with the arm are the middle two. The first and fourth again diverge at almost the same angle in this position.

For what it's worth, I have broken 1st & 4th on my right and 3rd on my left. :rolleyes: So I summise that it is just as easy to break one knucke as the next!

Attached Files: