Getting out from GNP

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Adam, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Adam

Adam New Member

Having zip experience in having a large man sitting on my chest or stomach and hitting me repeatedly in the face, I'd like to know how to escape a ground and pound? I can't figure out any sure-fire way of getting out of it, so please help me.

2. stump

stump Supersub

I'm no expert but we trained this quite intensively a few weeks back and the strategies that worked best both for and against me is

moving as much as possible - head from side to side away from the punches......just like weaving in boxing

covering the important areas - face, throat, jaw - the top of the head will hurt you if punched but will probably hurt them a hell of a lot more

trap their arms up against their own body so they can't get a goor clean shot off

pull them close

this covers covering up to you have time to deal with escaping....I'll let the proper experts tell you of the ways to get out

3. xubis

xubis New Member

I have been in one of these situations once, the kid was a fat *******, unluckly for me my arms was by mysides so I couldn't use them much as he was sitting on them, I managed to turn my hands onto the inside and pinch the sensitive parts of his thighs, hard, the jolted a bit and I managed to get my legs over his head and pull him backwards off of me. Hope it helps.

4. Hakko-Ryu

Hakko-Ryu New Member

hehe...the inner thigh always hurts...even if the guy is muscular!...if it were on the streets, why not try crushing the nuts? not hitting...but just taking a handfull and turning the dial/**** type of deal :D

5. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

First priority is to cover-up, like Stump said.

Some things to watch for:

1) If your attacker likes to drop his head when he punches, time it so that you can hook a hand around his neck, pull his head hard to your chest and roll. Don't just time this for a punch to his face because he will still be on top of you, and, unless its a prime shot, he'll be on top and even more 'ist off.

2) If your attacker likes to raise up off you some while punching, time this and as he goes up you bridge throwing him up towards your head and roll to your stomach hooking your attackers arms, legs, or both.

Once you gain a position on your side or stomach, you can move to more offensive tactics.

6. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Banned Banned

As well as all the other good stuff mentioned, keep your head off the floor, your neck will absorb some of the power when, not if you take a shot. If your head is on the floor you take the full force on the chin, and the fact there is no give with your head on the floor.

Mess with the opponents balance, keep bucking them with your hips, this stops them from measuring each shot as they are not in a settled posture, allowing you to avoid some shots. Try and get guard if your against a bigger guy, it will happen they get the top position but try and work for guard rather than them in the mount.

Try and block shots at the bicep, not nice sticking your arms far from your head, but if you block the bicep you can prevent a lot of shots hitting home. keep bucking all the time, this will eventually give you the space to work an escape.

last one is bizarre, hope they really throw the shots hard!! this is becauseits harder to maintain balance whilst throwing bombs, which gives you the space to escape.

7. Jay

Jay New Member

Your main objective is to get the hell out of there - dont think about attacking, you really arent in the position to do so.

Pull them close and work on your escapes - try to tie their arms up.

Try to block their knees with your elbows in order to prevent them getting a high mount - it's harder to do anything (defend / escape) if your arms are forced upwards.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2003
  8. patrick_eudy

patrick_eudy New Member

If he's punching from the mount, you can still roll him over, even if you don't have control of his arms. Thrust your hips upward as hard as you can. This will drive him forward and he will put his hands on the ground above your head to catch himself. Except, you're not going to let him put his hands down. Immediately after you thrust upward, shoot your arms straight up where his hands are going to land and sweep them out from under him before he gets them planted on the ground. Now you'll be laying belly to belly and you can roll him right over. You have to do it quickly and smoothly, but if you try it a few times with a partner you'll find that it's actually pretty easy.

9. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

PROTECT YOUR HEAD. If you can, lean up and wrap around his waist and then pull him back on top of you and keep him close. However, don't put your guard down until your close enough to grab around his waist quickly, or you'll just get hit more. Once you have him around the waist and pull him down, try to roll over so you'll be in his guard but no longer on bottom. Alternatively, you could keep your guard up and bridge like crazy (which is what I usually do...) which at least keeps the other guy from hitting you, even though it makes you really tired.

10. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

How about bridge to bring them off balance (you may have to pull them in and down with waist grab) then trap leg (with your leg on outside ankle to ankle) and trap the arm on the same side to take away the base on that side. Bridge and power roll. You should end up in their guard. This is just one way to work your way out. This is a very bad position to be in as it only takes one strike to stun you then it’s over. You will not be able to just cover or move your head for long as something is going to get through. Be careful with just grabbing the waist and not working to unbalance them. All they have to do is cross face and pound you in the face.

11. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Bridging is a good method of interupting their striking from ontop. Sometimes once you've bridged them you can grab them tight and pull them in close to you and roll them over.

Obviously not guarentee'd to work, but sometimes works if your trap their arm right to stop them from posting their arm out to prevent you rolling over.

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I've pulled a couple of muscles bridging out of a full mount and rolling out :cry: This only worked during my lighter opponents. Trapping the hands or grabbing the opponent placing your head to the chest as close as possible, would also bring down the punching power (since they can only allowed to hit the side of the head) but all of these can ONLY BUY YOU TIME, mostly not enough to get out of.
    My advice of getting out of the GnP? Dont get in it. :D

13. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

hehe :D Very wise information ;)

I once nearly pulled my shoulder joint outa the socket from bridging. But just before it was too late, we'd rolled over and the pressure was released.

14. notquitedead

That's what I was talking about when I said grab around their waist and pull them down. That's the main mount reversal I've learned.

After not being able to train for two months, I finally got some 'mat time' last night. About two hours of nothing but sub grappling. :D Anyways, I got mounted three times (the people I was grappling with are all older, heavier, and stronger btw...) and only managed to reverse it twice. Mount reversals are nearly impossible against someone a lot heavier and stronger than you who is good at 'riding' (in other words, staying there even if you bridge, wiggle, etc) the mount. I only won once with a rear naked choke, but nearly won with an awesome triangle :D but he was just too strong and kept pushing with his arm.

I am the most unorthodox grappler I've ever seen, most of the time I'm not even in a position I just kind of flip around and use my legs as much as my arms. :p

15. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Ugh, 2 months?! :S i had to miss 2 classes (2 days) and i felt soo bad inside :( i felt as if i was quitting! God knows what i'd be like after 2 months lol. Id be in a state lol :D

16. notquitedead

Yeah it's been boring. Last night was a real treat, I've been wanting to grapple BAD lately. There is a muay thai/boxing/BJJ place near me that I want to try out, but I figured out about a week ago that you have to sign a six month contract, which is way too long. The other place I want to train won't let me train for another 8 months or so (age requirement). :cry:

I felt kind of rusty, though. The last time I was at the MMA class, I felt great. I had a few matches with a guy who was six years older and a lot stronger, but not too much bigger, and even though we didn't tap eachother we were all over the place using pure technique (takedowns, reversals, etc). I also did some great clinchwork and kept taking people's backs. Now I feel like crap, and my technique was sloppy. I wasn't great or anything 2 months ago, but not practicing combined with being lazy for two months doesn't help. ;)

17. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Grappling is an undescribable feeling thats for sure :) On thursday i couldn't stop. I was going from one person to another, I just couldn't stop, it was to much fun.

I was so tired and nearly threw up twice lol (once nearly on my instructor but i managed to swallow it back down lol.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed yourself! and yes, an 8 month contract does sound alittle harsh. It's a great feeling after you get in after a long night of training, t-shirt drenched in sweat, you take a shower and lay back in bed just relaxing. Best feeling ive felt so far :)

18. notquitedead

The contract isn't 8 months, it's six. I just have to wait 8 months before the other gym will let me train. :)

19. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

My mistake :) i read it wrong :p

Even so, a six month contract is still steep. Do they give you a good first few lessons to test the water? Rather than a single lesson.

20. notquitedead

I don't know. I called the instructor before I found out about the contract, and he seemed really nice, and I was planning on calling him back to ask about trying a class or something. Then I found out about having to sign a contract and I still haven't called back (not sure if I'm going to...).