KSW Black Belt Licence Agreement

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Unknown Entity, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity New Member

Has anyone actually seen a document that states that once they reach black belt they are not allowed to cross train in other arts?

Of all the other black belts I've spoken including myself I never once seen this?

As we haven't signed anything to legally bind us surely they can't chuck people out of the WKSA!! or can they???

Discuss!

2. Mung Kee

Mung Kee Valued Member

I've seen it and it does mention that you're not allowed to cross train in other arts....or i think it said you couldn't be ranked in another art! :eek:

Let's face it though - they'd never find out and would have no real reaosn to investigate anyone unless it turned out an instructor wasn't really teaching kuk sool.

3. TXKukSoolBB

TXKukSoolBB Valued Member

I did not sign anything nor have I seen this agreement.

4. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I've only been encouraged by all of my teachers to practice with people from other arts.

5. ember

ember Valued Member

Considering how my TKD instructor reacted when I was trying to prepare for both TKD and Shotokan testing the same week...

Half of it is a respect thing. I have too much respect for my instructors to go looking for trouble like that with them.

The other half of it is the time and money factor. I don't have enough of either to go spending it on another MA. Dance, or yoga, or horseback riding maybe, but not another MA.

6. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

By wksa LA and QC guidelines you are not allowed to cross train after BB but the rule is un enforceable and may be illegal. first of all how are you accountable for something that you are not aware of. I guess your teacher is burdened with binding you to a rule that they are not the source of. Doesn't really seem fair. Secondly, how can WKSA keep you from freely associating with others,,,,,seems a little unconstutional. :Alien:

7. Jae Jah

Jae Jah New Member

I've heard it as a rumor, never seen the article myself. I've had instructors tell me it was a good idea to cross train, and some tell me that it wasn't something to bother with. No instructor has ever told me I wasn't allowed to cross train.

8. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Why would that be disrespectful? You pay them to train, not control your life outside the school. I respect my old instructor but I wouldn't let him control what I do elsewhere.

9. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

Just a note. This isn't some rare thing only happening in KSW. I've heard of this kind of thing in numerous TMA's. Though none of them to my knowledge enforce it. The whole idea is to try and keep the art pure by not having instructors mixing what they teach with outside influences. It's just something that's probably a tiny line written on some form somewhere that isn't really enforceable (unless I suppose you're really blatant about it).

10. Silentmonk

Silentmonk The Blue Donkster!!

BUGGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused: :eek: :bang: :cry: I mean imagine if you were :Angel: :Angel: :D :D

11. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

if my memory serves me correctly it is in the licence agreement you sign if you open a school, and i think it is worded more as a guide than a law, but i will check and let you know.

12. Silentmonk

Phew........ I mean thats lucky for anyone it might concern :Angel:

(oh p.s check the post count Fly boy!!!! who's the daddy huh :D )

13. psbn matt

that just proves that you've got the bigger mouth :D

14. Silentmonk

Tis true it also proves that Dave fly owes me money :D :D I adhered to all the rules Dave fair is fair :D

15. psbn matt

ok found it

privileges and responsilities of rank

1) black belts should not undertake training in any other martial art style other than kuk sool won, nor may they receive certification from any other martial art style. black belts shall not exchange any technical knowledge with students/instructors from other martial art styles whatsoever. if found breaking this rule, black belts will be subject to disiplinary action from the wksa

2) as a point of etiquette, black belts should not attend martial art seminars organized by associations other than wksa without permission from their instructor or h.q.

3) black belts are considered permanent members of the wksa, unless revoked by the wksa auditing committee.

4) all black belts members should remain in direct contact with their teacher and the wksa h.q.

5) black belts of all levels must maintain and improve their own skill level through regular practice and study.

6) black belts should within all reason, endeavor to support and assist their martial art school, teacher and the wksa in any appropriate manner necessary to further the cause of training, their school, the wksa and martial arts and its benefits. they must also support their fellow black belts and instructors in other schools. black belts must not say anything detrimental about other black belts or instructors or in any other way pejudice their students against another black belt or instructor.

7) all black belts should make every effort to keep their school running smoothly and aid students and instructors in any way possible

8) black belts must not bully, harass or intimidate students or other black belts. students should not be used for personal favors or reasons other than those benificial to the students martial art progress.

9) black belts personal or financial business must not interfere with, or impair any students or black belts progress.

10) black belts who give instruction or direction to students must keep that students safety, benefit and progress foremost in teir minds at all times.

11) high moral standards and high ideals should be taught and practiced at every wksa school. black belts must do their very best to be good examples, both in and out of the school.

12) black belts must always be addressed by their proper martial art title both in and out of the martial art school. using martial art titles, even among freinds, shows the highest respect and courtesy.

16. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

And your paying money to belong to this organization?

17. Jae Jah

Jae Jah New Member

Wow, where did you get that from?

18. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

Yep, a whopping $10 for a lifetime membership (not including bb testing fees which are high, but so are bb testing fees in a lot of orgs)

19. CJ

CJ Killer of all the B.S.

Hwa rang do does

20. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

In all the time I have practiced Kuk Sool I have never heard of anyone being kicked out or punished in any way for cross training. I know plenty of black belts who have/do cross train.