Teach yourself via books

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by titan, Mar 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titan

titan New Member

Does anyone know of the best book to teach yourself the use of nunchaku?
    After i learn the basics and learn them very well i will move into a dojo so i can be taught the proper details
    I`m asking this as the teachers told me that i would have to spend 2 years learning ju-jitsu first then i might be able to start using them, this is only if i know nothing about nunchakus. Once, i learn the basics i can just by-pass the ju-jitsu and start using them. I want to start learning them ASAP not in 2 years time.(the dojo is called samuraj ju-jitsu)
    What would be the best book you know of that can teach the basics properly?

wether the teachers had a reason to tell me this or not i dont care, i want to see results now not in 2 years time.

2. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

You have it the wrong way round.

With weapons, you go to an instructor first - then use books as a supplement to your training.

If you are serious about learning the nunchaku, you will go to the JJ and learn it to get onto the nunchaku.

Daft question though - JJ instructor teaching nunchaku? I understand a Karate instructor being able to teach nunchaku, but unless the JJ instructor is graded in Kobudo/Tang Soo Do (where nunchaku are Chuul Bong (IIRC)) I would be asking questions.

3. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

"Knock yourself out", as they say.

[​IMG]

4. rubberband

rubberband Valued Member

good luck with your training

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  5. titan

titan New Member

I`m ready to do what it takes to master them, all this just popped out of the blue. Anyway i have decided to buy a foam one + a book to teach you. i`ll start from there.

How long would it take to become good with them? Say i would practice 4-5 times a week.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2006
  6. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Please post the picture taken of you by your mate, whilst you lay unconscious having clouted yourself in the face with your chucks, I need a good laugh.

I'm beginning to thing you're a troll.

I'm pretty sure you're a muppet​

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2006
  7. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

8. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

You ask for our advice, I give my advice based on my own (albeit not much) experience with nunchaku, you dont take said advice. Does that mean I can lock this thread as having no point, if you are not going to take our advice?

To avoid knocking yourself out every time you pick them up, a few hours.

To get "good" at them would require defining "good" - what is "good" to you might be totally crap to me, or vice versa.

If by "good" you mean "master" the nunchaku, you are close with your 4-5 times a week - but only if you are putting in daft amounts of time (6 hours a day) over at least a dozen years.

Dave - not a troll, but a very inexperienced newbie. However, inexperienced newbies have a habit of turning into trolls if they dont hear what they want to.

9. titan

titan New Member

well good for me is that you can do the basic tricks properly and quickly + some other stuff like spinning ir on one hand, getting it to the other hand .
    i dunno, cant realy, . hmm
    Lets master is 10 and beginner is 1
    I want to become 7ish, how long would that take?
    Dont worry as soon as i get my questions answered i`m out of here, seems no one likes me.

just so you know this all mighty search button is not as helpfull as you think. i would probibly have to spend an hour looking through all the useles info it gives.

10. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I would say 5 years minimum as a rough guess from a very rough scale such as that.

I linked you to all nunchaku replies from the search function in your last thread about nunchaku. Of them, I would say half would be about teaching nunchaku from books that got the same kind of reply as you are getting here: go to an instructor and learn!

No-one seems to like you because you ask our advice then ignore it. If you are going, then dont let the door clout you on your way out.

11. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

You've had your question answered - Go to an instructor.

What you mean is, as soon as I hear the answer I want, I'm outta here. You don't have any right to get the predefined answer you want, but you have the chance to listen to some damn good advice from some very knowledge people, who believe it or not, are trying to help you.

If you went onto a car enthusiasts website and asked how to drive an F1 car without instruction, you'd get similar answers so don't play the "no-one likes me" card.

12. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Doesn't this apply to everything, and not just weapons?

13. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

It does indeed, but moreso to weapons (IMO).

The book cant physically take wooden nunchaku off you and give you foam ones before you clout yourself (even more) stupid.

14. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

15. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

what the hell is so special about two sticks attached by chains? I mean I own two sets I just don't understand.. They're not the uber-weapon.. why does everyone seem so friggin amazed by sticks and chains?

16. Brat

Brat Return of the Brat!!!

Instructor first, then books. Please, for your own safety, use practice chucks at first. I have nearly knocked myself out with the acrylic and metal ones after 2 years of weekly practice. I have seen guys that have been doing it for 20 years clock themselves. So please, save yourself by getting an instructor and practice chucks. by the way, the ones with the chain tend to be better, because the string can break and the chucks fly across the room and clock other people.

17. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi All,

My first pair of chucks (Which I think are still in my dojo somewhere) were two bits of wood tied together with thin kernmantle rope (still with the original rope) that was about 20 to 24 YEARS ago...

Of the chucks I actually play with my favorite are Cocobolo wood linked by chain - very heavy and very unforgiving if you whack yourself with them.

I also have foam chucks - which my kids used to use - However IF you are an adult and you want to learn how to use chucks then I would say START with lightweight wooden ones. Yes you will hit yourself, yes it will hurt - BUT you will learn good habits a darn sight faster than with foam ones.

<btw> START SLOW and practice a LOT!!!!

YMMV :)

All the best.

Robert.

18. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Two words: Bruce Lee :(

19. chrispy

chrispy The Hunter

I love on the side of that video it says "After playing around with nunchukus for a while and thought I'd make a short video"

The "for a while" must mean after several years of training, I was playing with my chucks for a while *today* and thought I'd make a video. that was cool to see. I have never used nunchuku in any significant way at all so I can't comment on their effectiveness or whatever, but that do look WAY cooler than a bo or jo, all the spinning and looping around your body and such, it'd take 10 years and a fair size miracle for me to be able to do stuff like that.

20. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

chucks are proberbly the easist weapon to teach yourself, start with foam move up to wood when you feel ready and then metal. fumio demura is proberbly the best authority on chucks and his books are quite easy to follow. if you start with foam chucks you will stand no chance of injuring yourself as you learn, and with patiance and practice it will all come together. i will warn you though that this is possibly the most annoying and frustrating weapon ever, but is fantastic for co-ordination and reflex's,looking flash and having fun, but is not a very practicle weapon.
    hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.