Store Owner Fights Robber

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Earlyturtle, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Earlyturtle

Earlyturtle New Member

http://www.break.com/index/modestorob.html

Some guy tried to rob this store owner but got his ass kicked by the store owners "6 blackbelts in martial arts".
    Sadly they don't say what martial arts he's learnt.

2. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Stories like that always make me smile :D

3. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

Aah I was rushing to MAP to post this same clip, but looks like you beat me ;)
    That store owner is a legend.
    "Hey you want my money? Come one...get it"

F'ing GOLD!

4. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Dude... h ahahhahahah That was so freaking awesome. What a nice/cool guy too.

5. hùng.pham

hùng.pham Valued Member

"He had some skills there... some Karate skills."
    *waves hands in air in psuedo-martial arts fashion*

Hahaha.

I think I saw the survellience vid before from somewhere... but not the whole deal with the interview and all.

6. incubus

incubus Valued Member

nice to see this video. knowing MA and being condifent in yourself pays

7. chrispy

chrispy The Hunter

awesome. The store down the street from me is owed and run by a hapkido guy that my sensei is pals with and trained with as we worked toward his black belt.

where as the video guy there looks like your average joe, this guy just one glace at him and you think 'anyone who ever tried to rob this place is toast!'

8. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

What they didn't mention is that the theives actually managed to get away with a box of twinkies! They smuggled them into prison and traded them for ciggarettes and used them to bribe guards.

Don't ask me how they got them in there :eek: .

9. Banpen Fugyo

I want some twinkies.... I've only had 1 solid meal in 2 weeks................ I'm dyin over here. Although, I have cheated with a peice of celery here and there, but that doesnt count....

DONT TALK ABOUT TWINKIES!! I can see them in the vending machine from here... :(

10. HwaRang

HwaRang Just don't call me flower

i dont think you got the punchline in what he was saying :eek:

BTW thankyou. I have actually had the worst day iv had in years. That vid has cheered me up no end :Angel:

11. Banpen Fugyo

hahahah... i dont want THOSE twinkies, lol

12. DarthSamurai

DarthSamurai Banned Banned

dear lord.

You all need a huge reality check.

(this is going to come off as rude, but it's the truth even though none of you seem to want to hear it, much more fun to say "go him!")

That man is lucky to be alive, he's lucky he wasn't brutally stabbed to death. He's lucky the burgler was a coward.

You kow why he's lucky, most of all? Because that nonsense Karate kid "hiya!" stance with the legs spread wide, his firsts meters apart, his chin in the air, and a guard of swiss cheese, actually scared a mugger away!!

I mean seriously, is that what "martial arts" look like to you?

That guy would get laughed out of any decent karate, TKD, whatever school as being a huge joke who can't fight worth a darn. But hey, he fooled somebody into thinkinghe could, so it's all good I guess!

How much do you want to bet his "5 blackbelts" all came from McDojos? (or simply dont exist at all. Hey, I have eleventy blackbelts, neener!)

and ROFL at the *FLYING KICK THROUGH THE FRONT DOOR!!*

haha.

I loved watching him explain and demonstrate how he did it, pretty obvious he'd never done anything like it before. Pretty obvious he had zero technique and just hurled himself in the air.

I've never seen anything look that bad before.

but hey it worked, right? :rolleyes:
    (good thing he kicked the guy in the back as he was running away!)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  13. Snake Style

Snake Style Valued Member

Rofl...I feel sorry for the robber, he didnt expected that the store employee would fight back.

Good work dude

14. Banpen Fugyo

Whatever dude... A guy was freaking shoving a knife in his face and he reacted in a great way. You have no idea what the owners financial situation was. You have no idea what his training was. You have no idea his background. You can sit and be a keyboard warrior all you want. He kicked the crap out of him, and he had the level headedness to take a picture of his car AND he was brave enough to stand up to someone with a knife. You sound like an absolute ass and you've obviously never had anything happen to you besides a fight back in high school (did you make it that far?) or something equally unrealistic. Check yourself, because standing up to an attacker, espically in a situation like that, requires more than physical training, it takes the brass and the emotional stability which you have obviously shown a lack of. I can't believe how ridiculous and ignorant you sound. Maybe you should get off the mats and realize that some training *gasp* might not what kind of stance you get into, but how you deal with real situations, in real life, with real danger. Get a clue... And for some reason I find it very hard to believe you were born anywhere near 1978...

-Ryan.

15. DarthSamurai

DarthSamurai Banned Banned

haha

This is a funny post for so many reason.

Lets look at them!

1. "A guy was freaking shoving a knife in his face and he reacted in a great way." Actually no, he reacted in a **stupid* *idiotic* and *suicidal* way. Big difference. a guy who could have killed him, put a knife in his back, from behind, and he turned around, dropped his hands, took up a FAKE martial arts POSE (prove me wrong, show me a martial art with a "fighting stance" like that) and ran right into him. what an intelligent well thought out response! Genius I say!

2. "You have no idea what the owners financial situation was." Actually, who cares what his financial situation is?!?! Though we can assume he's neither rich, nor broke, as he owns a store. Even a guy on his last dollar should try a suicidal tactic like running right into a knife without proper understanding of the dangers involved. He was an idiot, he lucked out, end of the story. Tougher men die by the dozens doing the same thing.

3. "You have no idea his background." yes, with a stance and strategy like that, surely he has tons of experience fighting off robbers with knives! Didn't you see the part where he claims 10 other thwarted robberies at knife-point?! ;) That part must have been edited out by those darn reporters! :bang:

4. "You can sit and be a keyboard warrior all you want." Do you know what a keyboard warrior means? Here's a hint "sitting at your keyboard talking about how tough you are" This is not what I'm doing, I'm saying "even if this guy could fight (which I highly doubt) attacking a guy with a knife is idiotic"

But I guess you disagree, Mr. Keyboard warrior.

5. "you've obviously never had anything happen to you besides a fight back in high school" Oh yes, obviously! Of course I've never been in a bad situation, you're totally right! Actually no, I've lived in some of the worst areas of NY, such as the Bronx and the Albany/Troy Ghetto, Queens, Etc. and have been in WORSE situations than this fellow. Ive been in many fights, been mugged, had guns pulled on me, been in bar scraps that would make you wet yourself. Got a nice by scar right down my scalp ending behind my ear from my last "adventure" so dont Dont toss "obviously" around, when you obviously dont have a clue.

6. "it takes the brass and the emotional stability" Yes running straight into a knife with your hands at hip level takes emotional stability. :)

7. Stance is the basis of the martial arts, yes, it matters how you stand, because that's a tell tale sign of how you fight. If a guy jumps back and screems "WAAAAATA" with his hands by his ankles, he's seen too many movies. Period. Show me one martial arts system that teaches otherwise.

8. I'm 27 years old, you can choose not believe me...that's your call. How you've reached such a conclusion is beyond me. Maybe it's the fact that i make intelligent, well thought out points such as:

If a guy pulls a knife, and you're not a knife fighter, fighting him is a bad idea.
    Getting yourself stabbed is not worth the 50 bucks in the register
    people who claim 5 blackbelts but obviously dont show technique are BS.

etc.

Oh and "get off the mats?!?!?!" Silence yourself before you humiliate yourself futher than you already have. You must be refering to my grappling ability, which consists of 2.5 years of BJJ, and 4 years of wrestling back in High School.

I've been doing traditional martial arts (stand up striking) for DECADES (well, I suppose one a a half is more accurate). I actually have a mere 2 blackbelts so I must suck at them. you've read my profile to get my "claimed" age, surely you saw all the stand up martial arts of trained in. Doubt my knowledge? That's fine. But lets not make this:

"haw haw, you need to see the r3al worl lolz it's not rasslin ROFL"

because I've seen more (probably, I dont assume as much as you) crap that you could imagine, unless you actually live outside your LARPing of ninja smoke bombs and throwing stars.

Get a grip, pal.

EDIT: I forgot my favorite!

#9 "He kicked the crap out of him" Not sure what video you were watching, but the attacker ran away, no injuries, no punches landed. Looks like he stumbles out the door though. Awesome butt kicking!

You wanna know what it really came down to?

That robber was not mentally prepared to kill that store clerk, that's why he didn't. He just wanted a quick buck. Realizing he wasn't going to get it, he fled.

That's all she wrote.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  16. Qdmasta

Qdmasta Valued Member

I really do commend the guy for handling the situation but I can't say I would have reacted the way he did. I would have just given him the money. I agree the guy was extremely lucky and took WAY too many risks.

First, going into the fighting stance will trigger a fight or flight response from most attackers. It's not something I would try against an armed opponent at that range. Luckily, the guy started running instead of getting more agressive.

Second, he should not have followed the guy. If he runs, he runs. Lock the doors of your store, call the police and wait for them to scout the area. You don't want any retaliations.

Third, he followed the guy into a dark parking lot recklessly having no idea what he was getting into. The robber could've had buddies waiting outside just in case something went wrong.

My way of handling this may not be glamorous, but oh well. There's no way I'm attacking someone with a knife. I'm not against knowing how to defend against actually being attacked but merely the threat of an attack isn't worth leaping into battle for.

17. freak

freak Valued Member

good for him...what a coward that "robber" was

18. jasonservis

jasonservis Avid crosstrainer

Good for him, a individual that defended himself and his business.I will not go into speculations about the would be robber or the owner. It appeared to be a horseriding stance to me. It also looked like he hit the silent alarm when he dropped into stance.

just my observation.
    Jason

19. FarEastFighter

FarEastFighter New Member

I totally agree with DarthSamurai, and I don't think that the store owner deserves any more than a "Good job, buddy." It was a HORRIBLE display of MA skills, and he could have died - he was just really lucky.

Additionally, Jason, anyone who has any experience with any sort of Eastern Striking art would know that HORSE/HORSE RIDING/HORSE RIDER STANCES ARE NOT FOR COMBAT! Horse stances are for drilling. That's it.

20. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

the first page of this thread is why people laugh at MAP. the guy got lucky that he was attacked by a coward. if that robber was serious there would be one less retarded store owner in this world, or at least one with a few extra holes in him.