Frustrations

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by seyah, Mar 1, 2006.

1. seyah

seyah Valued Member

This question is more for the older ma'ist but might go for the younger ones.

As a young guy I would go toe to to with the best that life through at me irespective of the possible outcome.

However now i'm into my 40's I find that i've slowed down quite a lot which honestly frustrates me. How many other MA'ists feel that way? and how have you changed your mindset or has your mindset changed?

2. deaddoll

deaddoll New Member

Ive always been slow ,ive perfected slow and now im bloody good at it ..... :p

3. I'm a young guy so I can't answer for myself. From what I know of older martial artists.

One trains regularaly still and makes up for his age with a lifetime of experience.

One would like to train regularaly but has surgery on his knee often which obviously slows him down and is beyond his control.

The rest just seem to accept it and don't put in any extra effort. But they have careers and family etc. so MA probably isn't so important to them. They are definetly declining though.

You say you've slowed down a lot, but I'm willing to bet you'd still annihilate most people at the Do-jang right? Especially the young, fast, inexperienced ones.

4. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

Having got back into martial arts at 39 and my 41st rapidly approaching, I feel that I may be qualified to answer this one.

Progress in terms of improving my fitness has been a lot slower than it was in my teens, my stamina (not helped by 20 years of smoking) isn't great and realistically I know it will never be as good as a younger athlete.

But I feel that my focus, ability to assess situations clamly and respond appropriately, and upper body strength have all improved, which isn't such a bad trade off.

As for going toe to toe with someone if required, one thing I've not matured out of and hope never to do so is standing up for myself. That's never been based on whether or not I would be able to beat someone in a fight, because regardless of the outcome I'd rather get a beating for standing up for myself than let someone push me around and I hope that I still have that attitude when I'm 80.

If you're talking about competition fighting, then I'm not bothered by that at all. As you get over 30 your stamina starts to decline, its just a fact of life, as long as I've got enough left in me for a good horizontal workout with Mrs Bil Gee then I'm happy.:)

5. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

Just imagine how slow you'd be if you had no martial arts training! =)

6. seyah

seyah Valued Member

True.

And Whilst I do get frustrated I attended a comp the first in ten years the other week and after beeting a number of guys came away with 2nd place that was in points though and not in kickboxing as I know my fitness is not up to it.

My shoulder was shafted for 3 days afterwards due to using my favourit tech the ridge hand cos its like the hook.

When I said toe to toe I ment at comp but have never been to bothered about the street fights they happen.

I guess I get frustrated by not being able to pull techs with students when sparing even though the head knows what to do the body dosn't react. :) :) :)

7. deaddoll

deaddoll New Member

There is nothing wrong with slow ...timing is more important ..and that is something you get with years of training so you will find your timming should be natural and skill will overcome the young whipersnappers that you are up against ..TIMING :p

8. seyah

seyah Valued Member

:) :) Just been out for a private lesson with some of my kickboxers rhis private lesson took the shape of running up and down a steep hill on our local vale totaly killed be but now i'm out to our association presidents club for more punnishment Oh I meen training :) :) :) :) Mind you even though my students looked pritty fresh I could tell they where feeling the pace. :love:

9. CDNhammer

CDNhammer New Member

I totally need to quote that in my sig....that's the best line ever.

10. CDNhammer

CDNhammer New Member

There we go.

Timing is more important than pure speed anyday, and anticipating and timing a block or counter is going to win more often than speed alone. However, if someone has the timing/anticipation skills but ALSO has the speed....your goose is cooked. ;)

11. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I'm certainly happy to see a big influx of older martial artists registering here on MAP ;) :D ..... we've got lots to talk about :D

Perhaps we can get our own forum in the future to discuss those topics that pertain to our training ;)

12. Nettey04

Nettey04 Valued Member

My Instructor is 54 and has been out of the Dojo for 10Yrs though his experience make it hard for me (29) to even lay a finger on him. He is not the MA that he was, but he is better than a lot of them that are younger. Experience makes up for a lot. Keep stretching and conditioning to maintain what you have and maybe get some of it back. Remember consistancy is your best friend. Its not about working harder, but smarter. If speed is a concern try over speeding (that is when you use rubber tubbing for resistance during punching and kicking) shadow boxing is also a good tool. What works for me if practicing combos. Anyway keep your head to the sky.

13. deaddoll

deaddoll New Member

Hoooorah at last a Fan :D you are welcome to my words, Ive got bucket loads more, when im not typing im talking ..... :p well apart from when drinking :love:

14. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

For use older guys and gals you you just have to learn to train smarter. Know your body and listen to it. This was sound advice when we were younger but we thought we would never have those permanent pains that all those older guys told use we would have. Never give up. I have found skill and determination will out last speed and youth a lot of the time. I know I can't throw the fancy kicks of my youth as much as I would like but all I need to is use skill and timing to get in my stuff with out taking anything. Also I only need to get my hand on most of the younger guys to even things up. I still love to roll and spar with the younger and larger guys. It keeps you sharp. Just the wife has Little or no sympathy when the old injury's act up and I limp around.

15. Nomadwanders

Nomadwanders Valued Member

Young martial artists are full of energy, very fast, and recover quickly from training sessions.

Older martial artists can counter this by being sneaky, mean, and fighting dirty! :D

16. seyah

seyah Valued Member

I'm ok then coz I tick all those boxes. :)

17. hùng.pham

hùng.pham Valued Member

Hmm... my father's nearing 60. He probably doesn't have the stamina of a younger MA, but certainly has the skills, speed and techniques. In addition to MA, he also excercises (some cardio, weight-training).

I think his mindset has always been to do MA as a way to stay fit, instill self confidence, and, in the extreme case, use it for self defense.

18. deaddoll

deaddoll New Member

Maybe we like cheese get old and strong and hard !!!! :D

19. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

:)
    NO WAY,,,,old cheese is smelly !!!!LOL!!! :)

interesting age thread...the mind is willing but the body cannot keep up with the mind...this is the prevailing thought process...

IMO keep active accept that the head high kicks are only chest high now..and will probably end up being knee hih at some stage !!! :)

adapt your art to suit your body..it is taking longer to recover from a heavy throwing session I agree ... but as mentioned knowledge, practice and staying mean all work to keep a person a good martial artist as the years go by.

be happy in your training ... :Angel:

20. Nomadwanders

Nomadwanders Valued Member

And start to smell really bad :p

Unless we're more like brie, then we just get runny...

Oh wait, might have taken the analogy too far. ;)