what is the best thing you have seen in a demo?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by psbn matt, Feb 28, 2006.

1. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

what is the best thing you have seen in a demo, any demo not just kuk sool?

2. IBelieved

IBelieved Valued Member

At the grand opening of the Houston HQ: then-KwangJangNym Suh In Joo kneeling on the mat, facing an attacker with a sword. First time I'd ever seen him demo. It seemed like magic, Chiefmaster was on his feet and had his hand on the attacker's neck pressure points in what seemed like an instant; game over, the attacker was out and being guided to the floor. Amazing. Made me want to really excel at Kuk Sool.

3. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

I still think the best thing I've seen in a demo was a board break being done by a student doing a full layout backflip, breaking a board with each foot while upside down in the flip.

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Also a board break but could work in a self defense move I guess. A guy did what the mc called a 'scorpion kick'? He was facing the board holder, bent down and brought his right foot up and over his head and broke the board the "attacker" was holding. Then grabbed the ankles of the guy and pulled them out from under him. Limber fellow he was.......

5. psbn matt

one of the best demo's i've seen was when the shaolin monks did a un announced demo at SENI on year it was fantastic, pure martial arts magic, with every monk of stage cheering and appluding those on stage when they went full out. and they all clearly enjoyed themselves.

also the tukkong musool demo was inspiering, and an eye opener in the effectiveness of korean martial arts in a modern context, there gun defence was brutal.

6. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

Kuk Sa Nim Demonstrating Ee in Jap sool, I still love to see that

7. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

Best demo I have ever seen was on an old video of a demo in Corpus Christi in the early 80's, it had everything: Kuk Sa Nim, Simms, Harmons and Jay Lee in their prime doing all sorts of stuff. KJN Soon Te Yang (sp?) doing some MENTAL breaking.

I would love to see it again and would pay good money for a copy of it if anyone has it? The start of it was a music video with 'Chinese Wall' by Phillip Bailey in the background :)

8. Nomadwanders

Nomadwanders Valued Member

Didn't see this one, but it's a legend in our dojo... I have seen the pictures that were taken. A visiting Master chopped up some watermelon with a live sword. While blindfolded. The watermelon was on the chest of one of our students at the time.

It would have gone perfectly if the uke hadn't exhaled after the first cut (thinking it was over). As it was, he had several very fine, shallow lines on his chest afterwards.

I'm still not sure who he annoyed to be chosen for this task :D

9. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

What exactly do you mean by "mental" breaking?

10. ember

ember Valued Member

2003 World Tourney, KJN and YKJN Harmon doing their form together.

Their sparring was cool too, but I think it's the form I remember best.

11. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

Sorry probably an English term :)

Mental like crazy. I remember a short range knife hand through a jack daniels bottle balanced on someones palm. A spin kick through what looked like a glass vase. Roundhouse through about 4 boards. Would love to see that again.

12. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

One demo that stands out in my mind was watching KJN Alex Suh performing Kyuk Pa Hyung. I think it was at my school during a seminar demo a couple years ago. He just got up, did it, sat back down... didn't look like it was part of the "demo script", just something KSN had him do on the spot.

It was amazing to watch. All you could think was THAT is how it's supposed to be done. I've never seen anyone do it as good as he did it that day. So relaxed, yet so much power, in all the right places. I mean, it's a breaking form, and you cleanly saw all the breaks. If there were boards or bricks or whatever at every proper point, they would have been properly broken and not a one missed. It was awesome to watch.

13. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

I would never *ever* let anyone do that demo on me. I don't care how good he was. I heard about a master who accidentally chopped off the hand of one of his students during a sword cutting demo, and he wasn't even blind folded. Sure, it was a fluke, but flukes happen with a high enough frequency that it's not worth doing a demo like that.

14. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

I saw a video of the Oakland Demo in 1980 where the watermelon trick was done while blindfolded. The interesting thing about the demo was that Kuk Sa Nim and several other masters were on the front row watching the other demos so you could see their reaction to some of the other stuff. That and seeing KJNs Harmon perform.

15. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

I was amazed at the display put on by a tiny little Japanese man sometime around 1981 he was part of a cultural exchange team that did a demo in Dublin .
    This frail old man did what I now know to be an Aikido demonstration that was so fast, effective and just exhilirating..live sword and knife techniques... :Angel:

16. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

I've got a second gen copy that I have digitized on dvd. It was written, produced, narrated, and compiled by Master Lee. Without a doubt it is the best ksw demo compilation caught on tape. and it should have been used to promote ksw in an infomercial back then.

17. Nomadwanders

Nomadwanders Valued Member

Yeah... I wouldn't be volunteering for that one myself either :eek: Maybe he asked for a volunteer BEFORE telling him what he was volunteering for...

18. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

19. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I'm a KS demo addict. So most of them make me happy. One thing is sticking out in my mind right now and that is the look on KJN Hart's face at the end of a self defence demo he did with KJN SJ Suh. I don't how how to describe the look but it was priceless.

KJN Harmon has done some really cool technique demos. I've watched quite of few of those slow mo to try and get some new tidbit of information. Master Simms and those wicked spear hands of his are always cool. KJN Alex Suh and his jump of the wall break is always fun. (Where does he hide the trampoline?) Senior master Jung Oh Lee and his human hammer technique is always amazing to watch. Then of course there is senior master Byung In Lee's jack hammer jump back side kick.

20. psbn matt

i'll never forget the first time i saw kjn darren (6 1/2 foot 18 stone) hart get a good kicking form a tiny korean master back in 98ish. great entertainment.