Purpose of Training & Testing

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by KickChick, Sep 9, 2003.

1. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I've just read this article by GM Cho and wanted to share it with the rest of the TKD forum....

He has brought up some very good points ... what do you think?

[​IMG]

The Road to Hana by Grand Master Hee Il Cho

I have seen so many promising martial artists quit that I have literally lost count. These students were not lost due to injury, illness or boredom, but due to the periodic testing process in the studio. These are students who failed to promote to the next belt level, and upon the posting of the test results they left the training hall, never to return. As an instructor, I am always careful to explain to everyone who is about to test just what a belt is all about. I can explain it in as clear as manner as possible, but somehow it still doesn't take root for some people. Too bad, but just as well, for these people who quit after not promoting would have eventually quit for some other reason. Not promoting serves not as a reason, but as a convenient excuse.

It is interesting to note that in the early days of martial arts training there were no tests or promotions, and despite the romantic and philosophical implications of all the different colours of the belts (white symbolises "purity", etc.), the real truth of the matter is that everyone began as a white belt because uncoloured fabric was less expensive and more readily available. The uniforms were tied with a simple belt, and though the uniforms were occasionally cleaned and replaced, the belts were not. People's belts became black from the dirt and sweat from years of training, not from a testing process. There is something very appealing to me about this history, because it symbolises an attachment to the process of training, rather than the results.

We live in a results orientated society, where the purpose of doing something is to reap some sort of reward. From earliest childhood, children are told that if they do this then they will get that. It is the enlightened parent who impresses upon their children that doing something can be it's own reward. Unfortunately, al lot of people work so that they can earn enough money so that they can marry and have children, only to feed and clothe and shelter them until they are old enough to get there own jobs and keep the cycle going. These are the people who suffer the classic "mid-life" crisis of looking back and wondering if they have done anything satisfying with their lives. There are so many people who hate their jobs, yet continue doing them because the results seem so tempting. Invariable, these are the same people who manage to acquire things, but still feel empty. These people are result orientated, and result orientation does not guarantee satisfaction.

Our educational system is based on test preparation rather than a love of learning, which gives the martial arts student the wrong frame of reference to compare the martial arts "test". The martial arts test was never meant to be a pass/fail examination. It was designed to be a polite means by which the student can chart his or her progress. Not some pressure filled afternoon of anxiety, but a few hours spent with friends as the Head Instructor watches and critiques your techniques. If testing teaches us anything, it teaches us that we have to love the process of training.

You have to love the process, regardless of the direction it takes. In martial arts training, the training itself must be more important than the belt which you wear. You must love the look of yourself throwing that perfect kick more then the look of yourself wearing the next belt. On the island of Maui is a town called Hana, accessible by a beautifully scenic yet narrow two lane road which twists and winds it's way around the island. Tourists are often told that they must take a trip to Hana, and many do only to discover upon getting to Hana that the town itself, though quaint, certainly isn't much to look at. It is the road which makes the trip worthwhile. Unfortunately, many people don't realise this while they are on the road. All they are thinking while they are on the road is getting to Hana, and they miss the best part of the trip in the process.

Training and testing are not unlike this. The only proper attitude for a student of the martial arts to have is that the training is the key. The purpose of testing is to ask the Head Instructor whether or not you are ready to move to the next level. If you truly love training, then even if you don't promote, you certainly won't fail. If you promote you will continue to train, and if you don't promote you must also continue to train. There is no losing. A person who is honestly concerned about their progress will want to hear what the Head Instructor has to say. You must really want the results of the test, regardless of what it is. Testing is part of the process, not the conclusion or final step, and not promoting is, sometimes, part of the process as well. Love the process. If you don't, don't test.

Now I am aware of the lure of the ego, for this is what we are talking about here. The new belt does something for a person - a feeling of accomplishment, acknowledgement, and approval that you have done something well, recognition from your peers. I know. I have been, and at all times, continue to be there. The only thing that I can say is the same thing I tell myself: give it up, and let it go. Train for the sake of training. It is only when you let go and become immersed in what you are doing that you get closer to the truth.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2003
  2. flyingblackbelt

flyingblackbelt New Member

Wow, he makes some good points. personally ive always wanted to promote so i can continue to train and learn new techniques and I think the way our school sets it up is kind of inbetween what GM Cho is saying and what most schools do. The test is not really a pass or fail thing, if your testing then youve already earned your next belt, its just something formal that most people like to see. However, i definately agree with him completely.

3. Holgate

Holgate New Member

personallyI train because I enjoy it and I want to learn something...when it comes to testing/gradings for me I have always respected the desision of my instructor as to wether or not he/she feels I am ready for it. if I fail a testing then yes it's tough but then I have to look at various aspects like how bad I was on the day and had I trained enough in the first place to warrent passing.

thankfully we do pre-gradings a couple weeks before our main grading and on the whole if we pass that then we should pass our grading unless something goes badly wrong.

testing is mearly to judge progress not only of yourself but also of your instructor...after all your progress reflects on his/her teaching methods.

testing shouldn't be thought of as a one time thing every few months, you should be testing yourself to see if you have improved from one session to the next

4. morphus

morphus Doobrey

How profound.....thats what i think. How true, that we have a society built upon RESULTS & REWARDS. I think i have a little story to recount to my students.
    Cheers Kickchick for sharing this posted article.:cool:

5. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

Thank you for that K.C.

6. Jointlock

Jointlock Valued Member

This was really a great article. A lot of the same things that I have been thinking but I havn't been able to put so eliquently. Just thought I'd bring this back up so newer people could see it.

7. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

Hey, That's my Grandmaster and he is a excellent instructor.

8. stratiotes

stratiotes Valued Member

I agree with him. I do admit I always look forward to each new belt, but for me it is more like a milestone rather than a reward.

When i first started tae kwon do I was looking at the black belt as my goal, but since then my views have changed. I realize even black belt is just another beginning, and even a 8th dan finds ways to improve his technique and training, so I train to reach my own standards rather than those for testing. I am never satisfied with my techniques, so I am always striving to make them better. It's a journey that never ends, but only gets better.

Luckily I have an instructor that teaches this type of thinking to everyone in the beginning of their training. I do notice a few who seem to train only for each belt, and never seem to get any better at anything but the things required for that particular belt testing, but many are determined to improve themselves beyond what is required.

9. HitNRun

HitNRun New Member

There are in my opinion 2 kinds of students who aspire to advance in rank.

The first is the student that attends classes on a regular basis (as their circumstances allows), supplements their training with some kind of work-out and practice outside of the class, and makes sure that they are prepared for the test. They know basically what to expect and allow for a few emergency situations. The main thing is that they know their stuff so well that they are not depending on "luck" to carry them through the test if they get nervous or forget something.

The second student type waits until a month before a test is scheduled before coming to class regurally, doesn't practice old forms and techniques until the last minute and isn't solid on the new material because they goofed off so much right after the last test. They use the excuse that the pressure makes them too nervous to perform well but the truth is they never knew the material well enough in the first place.

I'm not trying to imply that being nervous doesn't factor into a less than perfect performance during a test, everyone makes mistakes and forgets things, but if you are not prepared, you will not do well no matter how well you are at handling pressure.

For me, a looming test acts as a target to aim for and I plan my supplemential training and practice around a schudule so that when test day rolls around, I have practiced as much as possible regardless of what we cover in class. I have used this method since becoming a yellow belt and it has worked for me.

In my experience, the thing that trips up most students during a test is form and self defense. Either you know it or you don't. If there is a 3 to six month space between your belt tests and you don't practice you old forms until the day of the test, you cannot expect to do well remembering a form that you haven't practiced in many months.

I have noticed that if a student takes a test that he or she hasn't prepared well for and is passed so as not to discourage them, then at the next test, usually they are not prepared well either. I believe that the thinking is that they got away with it one time, so they can do so again. This will at some point catch up with them as at the higher belt levels, much more is expected.

10. ClumsyFoot

ClumsyFoot ITA - Intnl. TKD Alliance

Superb article!

I earned 1 dan (nearly 2 dan) over a decade ago. Started back last year: different org, different poomse, old age rearing its head. Surprised at how many people (including MA) ask, "Gosh, isn't it a bummer to have to start over again?" Nah, not really... The old skills are coming back, and definitely had incredible technique for a white belt! LOL! As long as you're learning and growing as MA, does it really matter what rank one is?

Enjoy the training (a.k.a., the road to Hana). When you stop enjoying the ride, it's time to get off the bus.

11. Jayar

Jayar New Member

My instructor has high standards for training and testing. You only test if your are invited to test and you are only invited to test if he is certain you are able to pass the test. You must never expect to be asked to test.