List of Wing Chun Movements

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Taff, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Here is a list of Wing Chun techniques from the Yip Chun lineage that I know of:

Hand techniques (parries, blokes, interceptions, traps)(left out sao):
    Tan (palm up)
    Bong (wing)
    Fook (relaxed wrist, cover, smother)
    Pak (slap)
    Biu (finger)
    Wu (guard)
    Gum (pin)(pak with a different energy)
    Lan (bar)
    Fak (whisk)
    Jum (jam with elbow down, cut off angle)(mid level jam)
    Tok (lifting tan)
    Jut (jerk back)
    Gaan (cutting)(low block)
    Lap (grab)

Combination and Minor Hand Techniques (left out sao):
    Jip (Tok and Jut)(Arm jarring movement)
    Ding (hardly used)(sort of Jum + wrist movement)
    Bik (more of a concept than a technique)(eg release of energy from dai bong)
    Gang (sort of Jum + Dai Bong)
    Kau (hardly used, dummy form)
    Kwun (sort of Tan + Dai Bong)
    Man (more of a concept than a technique)("searching")
    Biu Tze (Biu Sao + Finger flicking from Biu Tze form)
    Fut (short arm bridge)("Buddha Hand")
    Huen (Circling hand)
    Rolling Jum (hard to explain)
    Jao (running hand)
    Man Gen (neck grab)(ie clinch)

Strikes with hands:
    Punch (Straight, with step, with turn, chain (lin wan kuen))
    Palm (Straight, side, with a certain Biu Tze energy)
    Fak is also a strike
    Ginger fist ("removed")
    Phoenix eye ("removed")
    Knee (short range)
    Knife hand strike (low fak sao to side of ribs + energy from Biu Tze form)
    Po Pai (Double palm strike)
    Uppercut (from Chum Kiu form)

Kicks:
    Jic Gerk (Straight)
    Tek gerk (Lifting)
    Wang Tan Gerk ("Round")
    Short range shin kick*
    Side kick

Elbows:
    Chair Pie (45 degree- mix of Gwoy and Cup)
    Gwoy Jarn (Horizontal)
    Cup Jarn (Vertical)
    Hei Jarn (?) (Upwards)

Stances and foot movements:
    Yee Gee Kim Yeung Ma (Goat Clamp/Character Two/Training Stance)
    Biu Ma (Arrow Stance)
    San Bok Ma (45 degree stepping)
    Baat Jam Do stepping (similar to walking)
    Huen Ma (Circling, a foot "sweep" from Biu Tze form)
    Turning/Shifting
    Sidestep

Forms:
    Siu Nim Tao (Little Idea)
    Chum Kiu (Searching for the Bridge)
    Biu Tze (Flying Fingers)
    Jong (Dummy)
    Baat Cham Do (Knives)
    Lim Dim Book Guan (Pole)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  2. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

The very short but comprehensive list really does demonstrate the wing chun prinicpal of keeping the system simple.

I have seen phoenix eye used by my sifu with an explanation, I just thought that it was something that I'd go onto later in my training. I've no idea what "ginger fist" is.

Both these techniques have got "removed" in brackets next to them, removed by who? when? why?

3. namaste

namaste New Member

Yeah, when was phoenix fist removed? my seniors use it all the time :p

And is ginger fist like the leapord fist?

Like, you have your hand out flat, back of the hand facing you, then bring all your fingers and thumb down half way so your knuckles are all facing up and out?

Oh, and what about water fist? It's like an uppercut but can be used in a straight motion?

4. Topher

Topher allo!

Here's some pictures of a lot of the techniques.

There might be some minor differences here and there, but essencially all the same.

5. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

They look pretty much the same as the one's I've been taught.

6. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Ginger fist
    [​IMG]

Supposedly this and phoenix eye were "removed" by Yip Man, or at least he reduced the emphasis on training them.

7. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

That's the way to do it!

Interesting, cheers!

My terminology is atrocious! I've forgotten most of it since I've been learning Japanese... :eek:

I usually say, 'The one that goes like that,' which doesn't help much on a forum! :D

Actually, I remember most of them but I'd forgotten chun sao and had taken to calling it inner fak, and jut sao which is my jerk sao! I didn't know man geng sao had a separate name, but it's an invaluable move and one of my faves, especially as the centre point of the clinch against wrestlers and JJers together with kao sao. I just called it a fook behind the neck!

One notable omission from the way I learnt is chum jarn (sinking elbow) which is after the tan-gaun sequence of SLT. The way we were taught is not a second high (dispersing) tan but the chum jarn. Essentially it looks the same but it's for dropping the elbow on top of the incoming arm to control, cover and sink. This is for when you've covered or struck high and you need to quickly drop your arm to cover low. Lo Man Kam's school also uses it all the time though I don't know if they use the same term. In fact they also use it in chum kiu when they drop it by their side after each stepping bong.

We actually we were taught these eight kicks:

1. Low Front Kick (Dai Jing Gerk).
    2. Front Kick (Jing Gerk).
    3. Side Kick (Waang Gerk).
    4. Low Side Kick (Dai Waang Gerk).
    5. Instep Kick (Gerk Booie).
    6. Outside Snap Kick (Gaan Gerk).
    7. Upward Knee (Hay Sut).
    8. Scraping Kick (Yaai Gerk).

Although, as you can imagine, for example 1 and 2 are different only in the area of the foot you are using. I think our jing gerk and your listed jik gerk are the same. And I think Kamon's yan gerk and our gerk booie are the same.

Mostly we just called our leg techs tan gerk, bong gerk or jeet gerk. The tan gerk describes the knee going up the centreline to the outside, the bong the opposite (with its intermediary application as a knee to the outside of the leg/body or to the top of the leg), and the jeet is straight (intercepting: can be a stop kick or just as well a rising knee at close range).

In stances I was also taught pin ma in my second lineage. This is a front stance (shock horror!) with the back heel coming up for the strike off the ball of the foot (swoon!). And yes, that's from Yip Man too. It's all out there.

Does anyone know the name of the uppercut type move from chum kiu? I was taught it two ways in two lineages: an uppercut (called something like 'corkscrew' punch), and as a very short inside upturned 'bounce punch' using the first two knuckles...

Also the combination of an inside lop and a sinking lan... using a splitting motion like in chum kiu.... does that have a name?

Isn't ginger fist when your fook sao goes a bit limp? :D

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  8. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Chow Gar ginger fist from different angles:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

It's not normally used for direct punching.

Rgds,
    David

9. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

I get it, that's the one I use for knocking on doors.

10. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

That is totally funky.

11. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

What's it used for?

It looks like my hand after a night on the beer and I'm REALLY dehydrated ;)

12. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

Probably not the best joke in the world, but great anyway because it's the first wing chun insiders joke that I've ever seen.

13. David

You got the dehydration right, but not the cause :). And I'm cold. And UK cameras accentuate the red in my skin. :p

A bunch of uses for it: -

1. From a guard-up position, cut back with ginger fist to strike at an incoming punch to the head. Aim to hit the soft inner arm with the knuckles scraping along the attacker's arm towards his wrist.

2. Fire it out in a hook punch with the thumb down and back hand facing you, to it with any/all the knuckles into the temple area on the head.

3. In a strike which is a cross between a hook and a forearm smash (it's a hooking forearm smash!), use the ginger fist, bending the wrist back against the thumbs base to maximise the tension/hardness of the forearm.

4. From a guard-up position, come down heavily to a low point on the centreline with a ginger fist that rotates backhand down to impact/block.

5. When pressing down and forwards with a heavy elbow, make the ginger fist to add hardness to the forearm.

Maybe I'll sort some "action pics" to show it. Feeling bad about thread hijack :eek:.

Rgds,
    David

14. David

Do explain; I don't get it at all.

15. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Inside Bong Sao......."Wrong Bong".

Well I guess that's not really a joke...