Aikido Training

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Antaeus, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Antaeus

Antaeus Valued Member

Can somebody explain briefly what kind of training you go through in Aikido? What is emphasized (excercise, meditation, attitude, etc)?

Thanx.

2. leeless

leeless Handshaker extraordinaire

Aikido training is different under every instructor, and so is emphasis on certain aspects.

The following is based on my experience of 3 instructors in two schools of Aikido, and only offers a beginners perspective (i.e. I don't train all classes so you're not getting the complete picture).

In my experience, most classes spend the majority of the time practicing technique against Uke. On average, about 80% of the time. This process consists of Uke attacking Tori, and Tori applying the technique. Once the technique has been applied (and Uke is disabled), Uke attacks again. During this exercise, many aspects of Aikido are taught (including martial attitude, awareness and breathing) as well as providing a good workout (well, in my Dojo anyway). Here's an example of what it looks like:

http://www.aikidojournal.com/download_media.php?media=video&id=103

Less time is spent doing other aspects. I've never been instructed to meditate during my Aikido training, but other schools may do so often. I've rarely been instructed to do solo or static movement, but it's not unusual to spend much time doing so.

Sometimes, weapons are included briefly to illustrate and develop key principles, though there are frequent classes that concentrate on weapons specifically and there are other schools were there is great emphasis on weapons.

A small amount of time is also spent on warm ups and stretching.

Etiquette is also part of training. You are trained to follow this etiquette, though standards of etiquette vary from one Dojo/Instructor to another.

Finally, in my experience, the Instructor usually has something they want to work on every class. Emphasis can be temporarily placed on aspects such as body movement, striking effectively, recieving technique, being aware of the centre, extension, martial attitude, breathing during technique and more.

3. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Great post... Deserving of a "sticky" IMHO

4. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Bet you can't stick it... :D

Yes, excellent reply post, sticky, sticky, sticky.

----------------------

What can I add about Aikido? I will say that there is a focus on learning to down an opponent in the same direction they are already moving.

This can seem quite a counter intuitive process as most tend to meet force with force at some level, the meeting force with non-resistance can be very difficult as the human mind and body do not move in one dimension or in one direction.

5. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Is it just me that realises we already have SEVEN stickies already. We can't sticky everything guys. That's what the search function is for.

6. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2006
  7. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
  8. aikiMac

Thanks.

Edit:
    Wait a minute, the first one is the one I already linked from, and the second one is this here thread! Silly you! :p

Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
  9. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

...but my links work ;)

10. Antaeus

Antaeus Valued Member

Has anybody had an innicdent were they had to use Aikido on the street or wherever? How effective was it? I am thinking of taking Shonikan Aikido since I hear it's more modernized and that it's the particular style the Japanese riot police know. I've briefly looked into some of the disarming techniques they can do.

BTW: Just so I don't get bashed for posting the question for Aikido's effectiveness on the street without searching, I already have. The one that sticks in my mind is the guy in the bar and/or poll hall. I'm just looking for more opinions and experiences.

11. aikiMac

In that case you should revive one of the threads on that topic. I suppose you already found
    this one and
    this one and
    this one and
    this one and
    this one and
    this one.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2006