Where can find a Jeet Kune Do School????

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by _StRiKeR_, Feb 7, 2006.

1. _StRiKeR_

_StRiKeR_ Valued Member

:bang: Where can find a Jeet Kune Do School in Valrico or Brandon Florida? I well aprciate any info u can give me. Please gave me a Phone number, a address, or a web site will be great. Thank You. :cool:

2. moe389

moe389 Valued Member

Their is unified martial arts academy in miami I don't know if this is to far from where your at. P.M me if you want contact info.

thanx moe389

3. LS

LS Full Metal Jacket.

How far are you from West Palm, Ft. Meyers?

4. _StRiKeR_

_StRiKeR_ Valued Member

Those places are way to far. I'm closer to Tampa, but I don't want to got all the way to Tampa either. I live in Valrico and I'm vary close to Brandon. I know that their has to be a JKD school in those areas, bit I can't find one on the internet or the yellow pages.

5. neb

neb Banned Banned

Maybe because there isn't one.

JKD schools are few and far between - and proper ones are even fewer and further between. They're not like karate or kickboxing classes where there'sone for every postal code.

Good alternatives are to look for wing chun schools. accompanied by boxing classes. and if you're serious about getting into JKD, I suggest you read up on it with an open mind and understand how it may not be chained too but still respects traditional styles.

6. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

might just have to make the effort to travel to a school

7. _StRiKeR_

_StRiKeR_ Valued Member

I have read up on it with an open mind. I'm no stranger to the Martale Arts. I have done TKD, but I want to get in a more accurate Martale arts. One that trains a person for every type of situation, and that is JKD. So please help me find one near my area.

8. neb

neb Banned Banned

Mr friend, all martial arts will try and train you for every situation. Just because you show up for a couple hours week and train in JKD does not mean you will ever be prepared for a real life defence situation.

It was years before I found a JKD school, well at least a good one, and without my prior training in the traditional basics it would've been wasted. So don't be afriad to get out there and join a TKD, karate, or whatever club because it's better than nothing and is by no means worse training than some JKD club implying they teach realy Bruce Lee JKD. Bruce Lee didn't get good from learning JKD but from studying other styles and developing from them what he liked and felt was effective.

I can't help you find a class in your area, thats up to you, use yellow pages and the internet, ask around, it may be there isn't one. But this cannot stop you from learning the magic of JKD, read books and listen to Bruce Lee's ideas. It will aid your training greatly.

9. FastFists

FastFists New Member

10. LS

LS Full Metal Jacket.

wait, anything with john lopez's name is a sham. You also have to wonder why his certs are blurred out as much as possible.

As far as JkD training for every situation, you need to do that yourself. It's called Reality-Based self defense and something worth looking into.

I've trained in JKD for three years now, and let me tell you: It's a great art, really breaks down fighting really well, but you have to ask yourself, why were you in that position to begin with? You have to look at context in your training, something I think JKD and other martial arts don't address a great deal. There are some pockets of the same arts doing this, but they're few and between.

JKD and others are great when the fight's on, but it's the stuff that happens before that matters more.

11. FastFists

FastFists New Member

Thanks LS.

I only perused the internet and found that listing for the original poster.

I don't know anything about the instructor or school. Thanks for the heads up!

Do you happen to know anything about Dwight Woods or Neil Cauliffe, both JKD instructors in South Florida?

12. Binary Zombie

Binary Zombie Cyberspace Zombie

If you can't find any JKD instructors in your area through internet means I suggest you contact the Inosanto Academy. They do seminars, annually I believe, so they may have some contacts in your area. You may also want to try contacting some of the JKD instructors down in Miami and Coral Springs to see if they know anyone. Who knows, they might have some network going on.

FastFists, I replied to your thread about Sifu Dwight if you still want to know about him. I don't know about Neil however.

13. ExtremeJKD

ExtremeJKD New Member

Well it sounds like you guys are out of the JKD loop, because Striker you have a few options that are not faraway. There is Paul Amato who is a good friend and old training partner. He trained with Guru Dan for years, and is a instructor under him. He is close to you he is located in land o lakes here is his website. www.eliteacademyofmartialarts.com/
    Then there is south of you in Sarasota LaVonne Martin she is a sweet heart and is a instructor under Guru Dan www.martinacademy.com
    It really depend on which direction on HW 75 you want to go. I think Paul school will be closer for you.

14. windtalker

windtalker Pleased to return to MAP

The Inosanto Academy has a website that shows locations of certified instructors throughout the United States. Maybe you could start there?