"You'll fight how you train"

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by hux, Jan 29, 2006.

1. hux

hux ya, whatever.

You know - to be honest I thought I was good enough that this didn't apply to me. My kickboxing trainer said to me "we'll pull you out of point fighting a couple months prior to your fight, cause I don't want you pulling technique"...after much pleading he agreed to allow me to spar defense only, which I have been doing for about a month.

So yesterday I entered my first point fighting tournament since starting all the full contact stuff and guess what - all defense. It was like I was stuck to the floor. I could see the openings plain as day but it was like I could not for the life of me get into motion and stick it.

So what's my point? I think I am learning for myself that the light contact stuff does not necessarily convert easily to full contact techniques even though I thought it would. It's not just a matter of moving target depth. Not for me, anyways.

I hope this doesn't start a flame war - just my experience after working in both realms for a few months now.

2. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

yep... happened to me and many others too...
    welcome to the club... the MT club inyour area... lol

3. uki

uki Banned Banned

see it's better to train to pulverize your opponent rather than a tit for tat dance around the room in some pads with a friend or classmate. seriously... the next time you fight or whatever, try the no-mind concept of having no thoughts and no opponent. it won't hurt to give it a shot(unless of course you take a shot) hahaha... joke. :)

4. Shen Yin

Shen Yin Sanda/Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

“The way you practice is the way you fight”
    My Sifu drilled this in our skulls time and time again and it really couldn’t be truer.

For a small while, I used to shadow box by myself (during my ‘self-discovery’ period). Eventually during a few “meeting of hands”, I found myself lacking in specific areas as I didn’t practice enough with a partner. I learned from that experience, that you couldn’t single yourself out and expect to do well in every area, especially during live combat of any sort (beyond light hand-playing, of course).

“The way you practice is the way you fight”
    Again, couldn’t be more true and I learned it from personal experience. Now I try as much as possible to train against various exponents. To be fair, maybe I don’t do it as much as I should (possibly because I don’t find too many MA’ists out there), but one has to keep this in mind as much as possible.