Headbutt training?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Adam, Aug 31, 2003.

1. Adam

Adam New Member

Since I consider headbutting to be the most powerful weapon in my repertoire, I would like to hear how you people train in to improve this technique. Personally, I hammer my head a lot of times against a punching bag, but I get woozy from it and I also think it might be very bad for my brain and neck. And how do you train actually using it in a fight, since even a weak headbutt would break noses and remove teeth. Any tips?

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Good headgear with face cage protection.

3. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

LOL!!!

Sorry.

Thats just funny.

Don't head butt a heavy bag, it's just weird ;)

Going to make yourself punch drunk without ever getting punched :D

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I normally just 'place' the butts on my partner, except Tintin who I headbutt in the guts whilst I pulled his ankles last week ;)

Midget go wheeeeee! :D

Then the rest of his Aikido class threw down on me and I had to crawl away :(

Col

5. Hakko-Ryu

Hakko-Ryu New Member

keep headbutting until you start developing calouses on your forehead! then you'll have a super human headbutt...HAHAHA

6. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

I couldn't believe this when I read it. You make yourself woozy? No insult intended, but that's just stupid. Use the bag for targeting and distance training, but don't batter your head into it.

Today I had lunch with a friend of mine who's a consultant neuropsychologist. He regularly assesses the cognitive functioning of people who've received head injuries, both major and minor. I mentioned this thread to him. I won't repeat what he said about the concept of headbutting a bag until you feel woozy, but suffice to say we both laughed lots and lots.

Please stop doing it, while you can still understand words of more than syllable.

Mike

7. cmaauk

cmaauk Valued Member

I have to agree with Mike on that one!

Yes please do stop, head impact = concussion = compression = possible brain damage and maybe death.

Andrew Morrell
    Cobra Martial Arts Association
    www.cmaa.co.uk

Last edited: Sep 1, 2003
  8. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Headbutts on the heavybag??

Sounds like a Monty Python sketch to me

9. Adam

Adam New Member

Duh...............Uuuuma?

You might be right that my general martial arts idiocy and near-obsession with Shaoling conditioning has gotten the better of me. I think I'll stop, hitting the bag with my head wasn't fun anyway, it hurt a bit.

Thank you for saving my brain from near-retardation by the age of 18, although I'll probably manage to achieve that anyway with my training mentality :D

10. chaozkingz

chaozkingz New Member

Adam, I have no idea how to explain how loud i laughed when i read about what u did...

but i guess a headbutt like any other strike comes from your stances anyway... so just to add power maybe push with your body more?

i see u r doing judo, so just practice ur breakfalls and wrestling heaps and it should gradually build up ur neck muscles.

11. Chinesericeboy

Chinesericeboy New Member

Use hands and feet....nice joke though...

12. Mu4D'D1b

Mu4D'D1b New Member

OMG...

When i read the main topic i was going to reply that i'm doing the "Knocking head on heavy Bag technique" too but now im almost shy to admit it lolll

But Adam at least know that i'm with you :( lol

13. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I don't see how you can train a headbutt, i think its one of those things you can't practise in class. Maybe you could think about headbutt timing more, like when exactly you would strike with one. I think you've bought into the Mas Oyama training headbutts thing a bit too much on this one Adam :) Thank god you don't have a lampost

14. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

Just take Yodas advice and get a face mask.

15. tl Eric

tl Eric I think I'll have a Tab

Hey all, this is my first post so let me know if I follow ettiquite correctly.
    I have heard of a training technique for conditioning your head for headbutting etc. Wrap a length of silk around your head twenty times then headbutt a wall or something of the likes between 150 and 250 times per day. Every three months remove a layer of silk and repeat process, so gradually when you get to one layer of silk and then remove silk all together and you will have a fantastic new trick of being able to headbutt a brick wall without feeling any pain. Not that I would do this myself as I consider brain cells too valuable, not to mention few and far between.

16. chaozkingz

chaozkingz New Member

geez where the hell did u hear that from??

wrap it in silk and headbutt the wall 150 to 250 times a day? man... talk about people with issues....

my cousin does that... she bangs her head on the wall every now and then, but then again she is epileptic....

actually, yes... her head is quite strong... there's even a crack on the wall where she bangs her head all the time

17. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

The problem is that if you can't train it - and train it under pressure - then the chances of it working for you under live fire are VERY minimal.

That applies to any technique - and is the principal reason why I favour stuff that can be sparred realistically rather than "our art is too deadly to spar" stuff :D

18. chaozkingz

chaozkingz New Member

well, i think everything we train is deadly, but we still practise it anyway LOL

of course we don't go break each others arm or something, but we put enough pressure there so the opponent can really feel it.

i do chuck in some headbutts in my sparring, and yes it work wonders :)

19. Tireces

Tireces New Member

maybe working on that headbutt they do in soccer will help? Just make sure you hit with the proper part of the head, which is good anyway, since it'll teach you to do the headbutt with the proper part of the head. The problem is, I forgot which part of the head was the proper part, I think the forehead is the one you dont wanna hit with, but Im not sure. I dont find headbutts to be very powerful or useful, anyhow. Good for close range fighting if you can yank the guy into it, but not such a great all-around technique. I wouldnt go to such injurious extremes to train a very situational attack, if I were you.

20. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Shield training

I use a shield with a partner to practice it but as there is not much to the technique then it is not one I train that often.

It slips into techniques from time to time but I dont knock myself silly with it - the grip for attacking the person is the best thing to look at when using this strike as that changes it slightly.

:D