What does Kuk Sool and training mean to you?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Unknown Entity, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity New Member

On a similar note to Silentmonks post about wanting your blackbelt, I'm curious to find out what Kuk Sool and training means to everyone? Is it just a hobby, a sport, a lifelong discipline with a deaper meaning or something else?

2. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

I planning on KSW being a lifelong pursuit. I always feel so much better about everything after training and sometimes even better when I finish teaching.

3. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

i feel the same way. kuk sool is just a hobby to me all be it a very important one. i always find myself sacrificing other things so that i can go training.

i can never see myself quitting and if i don't go training for a week or so i really do miss it and can't wait to get back into the rythmn.

:)

4. Silentmonk

Silentmonk The Blue Donkster!!

What does Kuk Sool mean to me lets see........

Pain. sweat, tears, frustration, more pain, more sweat, constant questioning of myself and my ability.

To me Kuk Sool is just a hobby, it really is. But somewhere along the line it has taught me that pain fades, tears dry, frustration becomes joy, that when i ask questions the answers i get are always positive. Its given me a whole load of friends a whole new family that i got to choose. And on top of all that its taught me i'm not a terrible person afterall. So it means quite a lot to me i guess. Some Hobby. :D

5. JKN-Taylor

JKN-Taylor New Member

There is no doubt in my mind that I'll practice Kuk Sool as long as I possibly can.

The great thing about it is, you'll never be at a point where there is nothing left to improve. I find a great deal of comfort in that.

6. KSW_Martley

KSW_Martley Valued Member

Kuk Sool Won training means strengthening my body and mind, as well as improving my martial arts prowness which has always been a lifelong ambition. :woo:

7. DL.Demolition

DL.Demolition New Member

I realy like silent monks answer to this question. It is almost as if I know you monk!

Your answer obviously reflects you afforts during your training and your posative outlook on life.

DL

8. Silentmonk

HMMMMMMMMMM :eek: not another holder of my identity surely :D

9. DL.Demolition

DL.Demolition New Member

the person I know is more of a mad monk rather than a silent monk but never the less your answer was impressive!

10. Silentmonk

Been called mad several times but no its not the same guy then!!! :D :D only 96 people on here know who i am wow still a secret then haha

11. DL.Demolition

DL.Demolition New Member

the only thing I would add to your original comments is that it may have started as a hobby but somewhere along the line it became so much more.

DL

12. ember

ember Valued Member

All of the above, and more. Fitness program, stress relief, discipline, continuous learning experience. Something that challenges me physically, mentally, and encourages me to grow.

Entertainment of a sort - especially the kids help me laugh.

By now most of my friends are from the dojang, so social life too.

13. CJ

CJ Killer of all the B.S.

Even thought I do not train in kuk sool won as of yet.
    Master harmon said it best. "I train to know myself"

14. PopeCoyote

PopeCoyote The words of the fool

It is a road to self-discovery: a way to learn what I need to change about myself and how to do so.

15. emrys

emrys New Member

in line with other comments i went looking for a hobby and have somehow ended up on this self discovery trip that i didnt even know was there.all hail eris.

16. kiseki

kiseki beating shadows since '06

Kuk Sool Won to me is unknown.
    I love learning, more than any other thing in the world, and kuk sool is full of stuff to learn. The reason I joined KSW as opposed to another martial art is that a friend convinced me that I could take it for my entire life and still be learning. I hope that is true, becuase if the learning slows down enough, I will probably lose interest.

17. ember

ember Valued Member

Will you come to the World Tournament in October? It's here in Houston. There'll probably be a demo Saturday night, give you a chance to see what it's got to offer!

I'm still learning.

18. kiseki

kiseki beating shadows since '06

For the next 18 months, I will only be in houston when it isn't the texas Tech fall semester, so unfortunately, I will be 10 hours away.

and its good to hear that you are still learning. Do you think it has slowed much, or is it near the same pace?

19. ember

ember Valued Member

From the website, there is Kuk Sool in Lubbock:

LUBBOCK 806-747-6593 FRANCISCO MIRAMONTES

Both. I've completed the official curriculum, so I haven't "learned" a new technique in over six weeks. But I am adding detail, and learning a lot more about the techniques I already "know". I don't have a background in a grappling art, so I'm still learning how to make some of the upper level throws work, especially with a larger partner.

I'm also learning new material in my additional weapons classes.

20. Jae Jah

Jae Jah New Member

Kuk Sool to me is a way to keep improving myself, both physically and mentally. It keeps me fit, helps my flexibility, increases my cario, and more. I also like how it gives me better self esteem, a more realistic view of what I can - and can't! - do, more confidence, and generally makes me happier.