Styles & my teacher

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Hoimun, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoimun

Hoimun Banned Banned

People always put an emphasis on learning an art they do not even like so they can put it down or harrass people.... It has been ****ing me off for the last few years.

I quit going to my group class that was teaching a range of different styles (JKD) because somebody wanted to post fake messages from my teacher saying he was going to go into the class and kick everyone's ass!

Then when I returned, one of the masters there took it out on me real bad and since I was completely homeless at the time; I never gathered enough money to pay my dues at the course... I quit.

I had already had training prior to that experience in Kung Fu and had spoken about si hing (Kung fu brother teacher) on an internet forum several times. In response, I got randomly attacked by a bunch of martial-con artists!

I know about all the different styles, it is ****ing me off that you cannot give any respect and get any back. I decided I should not reveal the teacher I had, for an avoidance of karate cloning Ronald Mcdonald dojo nazi's who are trying to create the new world kablooeee style.

What should I do? Has anyone here had this problem before? Would you reveal where your school and teacher(s) are from when people are harrassing you and saying you dont have any skill whatsoever?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  2. Gray

Gray New Member

Um... I really don't understand what you're trying to say.

3. Hoimun

Hoimun Banned Banned

You mean you need more info? quote #4 please with fries & hurry up!!! :eek:

4. Gray

Gray New Member

No, I mean that I don't understand your question. Sum it up for me in a simple sentence.

5. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

im with you, although i cant understand half of what hoimun rants about. no great loss, i suspect.

6. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Rephrase the question.

I have rephrased questions before, yes.

Let them find out for themselves. It's a big world out there, and there's an abundance of information for those who take the time to search it.

7. Hoimun

Hoimun Banned Banned

Ikken hisatsu, I should let you know you are not in my weight division. I have someone that could take you down using wushu who is closer to your age and size though :D (in compettitions of course)

Gray, dont play stupid. If you have a direct question... ask one.

Jesh, gee I guess I never took a walk around the block before. Are you going to give me any advice or turn me over to the dark side!?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  8. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I think it's pretty obvious what his question is: he's asking what the heck you're rambling about ;) Incidentally, I'd second that

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Thirded.

Mitch

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'll go with this question, since it's easy to make out.

Yes, I would. If I were interested in influencing people's opinions at all (and I think most people participating in a discussion forum are), then my background is relevant information. And since this is the internet, and people can claim to be 20 years younger and a different gender without ever really getting "caught", we tend to ask for evidence. Video, lineage, something that puts your commentary in perspective.

So to answer your question, yes I would. And have. I've posted video before. I've mentioned teachers by name. And I've tried to be as straightforward and honest as I can.

That answer your question(s)?

Stuart

11. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Sure. Why not.
    There is no reason to be secret squirrel.
    :D

Hoimun - most of your post was a non sequiter rant that was very hard to follow... I'd suggest to you that if you want people here at MAP to take you seriously you make your posts more concise and to the point.

Take that suggestion... or not.

12. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

You want my advice ???

Tell them, if it's correct you should have nothing to hide. But as I already stated, people who want to find out certain information bad enough will find out on their own.

13. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

I don't think everybody that has taken other styles and bash it do so like you have said. I know a few people that have taken many styles like some, dislike some, until they find some that they find more useful and effective for them. Then, yes, bash the ones they had tried and found to be less effective. I don't think that's necessarily a bad or unnatural thing. If they do, as you said, take it with the sole intent of bashing it, well, that's just a waste of time and money...and very immature.

14. Hoimun

Hoimun Banned Banned

In response

Slipthejab, I meant a real squirrel. Not me. I was not on the 'geico' commercial. Do you understand the meaning of the words "human being"??

Owen Ap, nice answer (sort of) except that proving a lie is just a easy as proving truth. The only way to discover truth for yourself is to not deny it. Unfortunately the saying goes another way in general.... some of the people here are trying to make fun of each other and **** people off, what do ya know? It works...

--------------------------------------------------------------

Well folks we've laerned a valuable lesson today. Get a sex change operation, take some psyche meds, change your style, and never be honest.... maybe I will quit martial arts after all. :D

Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  15. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Wow

I have no idea what you are talking about Hoimun. The only thing I understood in this whole thread was:

No one is trying to make fun of you or **** you off.

Honestly.

No one knows what you posted from post 1. I'm totally clueless as to what you are talking about.

16. Hoimun

Hoimun Banned Banned

Sorry, my bad... I forgot you guys don't get American TV. :eek:

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Hey pal, you asked. I answered. If you're now going to try and convince me that it doesn't make any difference whether you list your lineage or not because you could be lying, then why bother asking our opinion in the first place? Nobody can force you to do one thing or the other. You're just a nameless, faceless pseudonym on an internet forum. You can decline to say whatever you like.

But if your credibility is at all important to you, then you might want to consider answering what are, to my mind, very common and straightforward questions.

Stuart

18. Gray

Gray New Member

That's what I was saying. What exactly is he asking about?

19. shuriryu

shuriryu New Member

If being harrased on the net and being told you have no skill is a bother then I would be concerned about why and what I am learning or trying to learn. Also I have no issue say whom I train under and if someone thinks that is a problem then I hope they have a great day.

20. Shrfu_Eric

Shrfu_Eric New Member

Why not list your lineage and teacher's name. If you are who you say you are ... why not. Unless your teacher asks specifically ... no reason not too.

If someone is calling you talentless ... ignore them... do they know you? Who cares what people say?

Some people want proof of what your saying ... if you hide your info then that's when the problems occur. If your truthful you shouldn't be getting upset. no reason to .

Maybe I'm not understanding the bottom line issue here. Was someone bashing you, your teacher, or your style? Did you post your system to them or do you refuse to??

But to answer the question ... already did. Yes I would post my style, lineage and teachers info if someone wants to whine. And I would ignore the comments ... it's keyboard tuff talk ... unless someone wants to come down to your kwoon and test your ability ... then that's a different story.

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.