Gary Goodridge

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Cuchulain4, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Hi

There is a guy named gary goodridge who entered an early UFC and his style was listed as Kuk Sool Won and he was wearing the Dobok.

However someon recently told me that he didnt actually do Kuk Sool Won, but was paid to wear the dobok and say that he had a BB in it to promote the art. He was given an honourary BB after only attending a couple of lessons.

Here is his fight stats.

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?fighterid=129

I was just wondering is this true or just a rumour? And if its true what do you think of the matter?

I hope i am not causing any disrespect i am just curious.

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

as far as i know he went to the club of some KSW guy, kicked his ass, and took his place (and Gi) in the UFC. I wouldnt pay much attention to the styles listed under peoples names- they still have "beast style" and "NFL" under Bob Sapp, for christ sakes.

Although he may have some kind of honourary belt or some such nonsense, his style of fighting has nothing to do with KSW and nor does his training.

3. KSW_Martley

KSW_Martley Valued Member

I think its wrong for Kuk Sool Won to be giving out these 'honourary' black belts, I mean like, whats the point? Like at the Beckhams World Cup Party in 2002 they gave him one, but I bet he knows sweet FA to do with Kuk Sool Won lol. Isn't it true they have give Prince Charles or someone like that one aswell? And now some UFC person? lol its wrong, I tells ya'! :Alien:

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Who cares about Gary Goodridge... the best thing in the thread was a new term...

"sweet FA" ....:D

5. IBelieved

IBelieved Valued Member

Giving out honorary black belts, university degrees, knighthoods, and the like is a long standing gesture of friendship...it means nothing else and no one takes it seriously, or at least, no one should take it seriously.

6. justinksw

justinksw Valued Member

From what I remember about this guy (Gary Goodridge) he was not given any belt by the 'official' KSW. It was some offshoot in Canada that gave it to him. I don't think it was Master Timmerman, but possibly someone else.

For the price we have to pay to get a black belt alone, I can't see them just giving it away to someone.

Besides, if they did end up giving one away, give it to someone who can win more fights and get the name recognized more!

7. KSW_Martley

KSW_Martley Valued Member

lol.

Ah well, they may be a gesture of friendship, but I tell you one thing, I will EARN that black belt. Just kidding. :cool:

I'll bribe it really :Angel:

8. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

This has actually been discussed a lot. Gary Goodridge never really trained KSW. I think Ikken is pretty close to the truth from what I've heard. He was given an Honorary 4th degree blackbelt and a dobok by a Canadian KSW school that is not affilliated with the WKSA. He took these and fought with what he already knew under the KSW name.

9. LiaoRouxin

LiaoRouxin Valued Member

Well, Gary Goodridge did a very good job representing KSW in the beginning of his MMA career, and he's gained a remarkable comeback in recent months in K-1. No bashing "Big Daddy", he's legit.

10. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Yup, that knockout against Paul Herrera was sick! :eek:

11. IBelieved

IBelieved Valued Member

He did a very good job of representing himself and I take nothing away from him for that. There has been at least one published interview (excerpted here) where he admitted that he was not a Kuk Sool practitioner and did not use "kuk sool" technique in the UFC.

12. justinksw

justinksw Valued Member

I can't disagree with the fact that 'Big Daddy' is legit as a fighter in the UFC, based on the small bit of research I did yesterday on him.

However, based on the reply that IBelieved posted with the link, his background in KSW is crap. Maybe some marketing ploy from the local club, or higher. Who knows.

13. DL.Demolition

DL.Demolition New Member

Garry Godridge is a 3rd degree blackbelt in KSW. Whether or not he got the belt the gold old fashioned way or not should not be the question but in order to improve in K1 and UFC he should come and train with us as he is all done after one round.

DL

14. KSWMark

KSWMark New Member

Exactly, that pounding he recieved from Le Banner last year was brutal

15. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

I was pretty certain it was 4th degree he was given, but that's just nitpicking. Either way it's pretty much confirmed it was just given to him, and he isn't really trained in KSW at all.

16. DL.Demolition

DL.Demolition New Member

at his last fight the comentry team where going on about him being a 3rd degree and about twenty seconds later he knocked the boy out cold. Its the only time I have seen him win

DL

17. KSWMark

KSWMark New Member

Yeh he is more of an MMA fighter than a straight stand-up, thats why he was doing alright in UFC and not so much K-1

18. DL.Demolition

DL.Demolition New Member

He just lacks stamina as he explodes all at once and if his opponent survives that he is all done.

DL

19. Yu Dahn Ja

Yu Dahn Ja New Member

Here it is !!!

Here is the deal on Gary Goodridge and his Kuk Sool connection.

When the UFC started to get momentum, most martial artist were inspired to take their training to the ground. The Canadian Kuk Sool dojang was no different. After their traditional Kuk Sool classes, some of the instructors and students started practicing their grappling skills. One of the instructors a 1st degree black belt in Kuk Sool did have intentions of competing in the UFC, and the school started to fundraise for him to participate. However at the time the UFC did not have weight divisions, and although he is an extremely talented martial artist, he just did not have the physical attributes needed to compete in the UFC.

Gary Goodridge did join the Kuk Sool dojang for reasons of his friendship with that instructor as well as his own interest in competing in the UFC. He did in fact participate in only a few Kuk Sool classes. After his intentions of participating in the UFC was known, it was obvious to everyone that Gary did have the physical attributes needed to compete, and therefore a decision was made to give the money (that was raised by the students of the club) to Gary. At the time the UFC was all about style v.s. style, and Gary had three things behind him. His physical attributes, his arm wrestling championships, and I think a small stint with Golden Gloves Boxing, but Gary felt he needed more to even be considered by the UFC.

Gary and the instructor approached Master Lee (the owner, operator of the school and also the President of the Canadian Kuk Sool) to ask him if they could use the floor space during down time to train. But above all, to support Gary by giving him permission to apply to the UFC as a high ranking Kuk Sool black belt. Now you can debate all you want on whether or not this was a good decision or not. All I can say is that Master Lee is truly an extra-ordinary man whose kindness and generosity is unparallel. He is a true master in every sense of the word. In his eyes he was giving him an opportunity, nothing else. He indeed decided to give Gary permission to write in his application that he was a high ranking Kuk Sool practitioner and gave the 1st degree instructor keys to the club to train whenever possible. In exchange, Master Lee simply wanted Gary to help promote the school. After the event was over, Gary gave a few interviews for the local paper, and he simply took credit for his achievement, and never thanked the school for their time and support. Instead he plugged another schools name. Obviously Master Lee wasn’t impressed, he simply changed the locks and that was the end of that relationship.

Now weather or not the instructor and Gary competed for the fundraising money, I don’t know, but if you want to take look at the instructor, he is the Asian man walking with Gary in UFC 8. And why did Gary go out of his way to say that he kicked his ass, bewilders me a little considering he was the one who spent countless of hours with Gary preparing him for the fights. I think he did a good job considering Gary’s non-existent knowledge of any technique Kuk Sool or not. As for Master Lee, he had no interest in the UFC, all he wanted to do is help his instructor and Gary. There was never a ceremony of any kind giving Gary a 4th degree; I’m not even sure if he took the time to give him an actual certificate. The sad thing is, that most of the Canadian Kuk Sool students had no idea that someone was competing under the Kuk Sool Banner, just as I was surprise to see a giant man wearing our dobok. But I must admit, just like you WKSW guys, I was pumped and proud to be part of Kuk Sool, even if I knew he was not a Kuk Sool student.

20. Silentmonk

Silentmonk The Blue Donkster!!

I find it hard to get pumped about someone who has never taken a class in the art representing me. Whether he had won the competition or not. I have upmost respect for anyone taking part in these competitions, but can't help think that it did more damage than good. The negative press that has surrounded the whole incident with his subsequent dismissal of his rank etc has just put forward the idea that Kuk Sool Won was so desperate to be part of the media spectacle that was UFC that it was willing to buy a champion. And also this in itself is derogatory to the many practisioners of the art. I would rather have seen a true Kuk Sool Won practisioner climb in the ring and take a beating personally. Than a hired gun. Well thats my opinion anyway. :)